chore knife

everytime a knife thread comes up on here we have an influx of opinion from those who seemed like theyre almost metallurgists and it all goes right over my head. so im looking for input on what steel would be best suited to a chore knife for around camp. something to pair along with my havalon. i use a kershaw now but i have no idea what steel its made of. im pretty sure theres something better suited.

blb078

WKR
I use a SOG Revolver 2.0. It's not high end but it's a good knife that also has a saw, a gut hook too if for some reason you ever wanted that. Weighs 6oz w/the leather case. You can get them for 40ish online. The saw is actually pretty nice and sharp. If you're just wanting it for some basic use then it works great, never tried it for actually skinning or gutting, even has a built in knife sharpener although not the safest to use.

http://www.sogknives.com/hunting/knives/revolver-2-0-hunt.html

Compact Parang. Not the lightest option ~1lb, but brings hatchet tasks to the table.
Sharpen it up on the Worksharp and it's wicked sharp.
I just wish they'd team up w/ Oregon Saws and put a good pull saw blade on the backside.
Best $30 you'll spend.
Hunt'nFish

Bear-Grylls-Compact-Parang-1.jpg

OP
fillthefreezer
im not really looking for knife recommendations really, more of the steel i should use then i will find a knife in that steel that fits my style.
i keep hearing of the s30v but i dont know how well its suited to chore tasks

Scott, s30v is some very fine steel; strong, easy to sharpen, holds an edge.... but super spendy.
I have 2 fixed blade Kershaws made w/ it. Both I picked up at thier factory X-Mas sale.
One is similar to the OSO Sweet. But my goto is a Blackout folder, non-cerated. Always in pocket.
Also have a couple Ruana's that have served duty for 40+yrs. Rudy, may you Rest In Peace.
Very good steel, although I don't now what he made them from. Probably old files & such.
Good steel though. anyway, take a look at 21A or 26CD. I have 12A & 14B.

But honestly, there are so many good alloys anymore I'd hate to compare them.
Instead, decide what you wanted to use it for and then go from there. I have to ask..... (in the Rokslide multi-use spirit), does it need to double as a starter step for your treestand? If so, I'd probably lean more toward a tanto style survival blade in which case the steel might become more important.
If not, I think any number of the good alloys would meet your needs. But I do think it should be full shank.
(yes... I'm poking you in the ribs.)
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
im not really looking for knife recommendations really, more of the steel i should use then i will find a knife in that steel that fits my style.
i keep hearing of the s30v but i dont know how well its suited to chore tasks

I have the Gerber Gator with s30v steel and the Bell and Carlson handle. I take it and my Havalon on all hunts. The steel holds an edge better than anything I have ever owned and it's even pretty easy to re-sharpen with my Spyderco kit. I have been able to break down two complete deer with the same knife, which is saying something. The knife will also hold it's edge through an entire elk, something no knife can normally do in my experience.

Here's a link to the reviews. It should give you an idea of what people think of the steel.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/518...views/reviews.htm?sort=submissionTime&dir=asc

kaboku68

WKR
1)Helle Eggen. You will thank me later. Its not too big or too small but its a heck of a knife. Swedish powder steel reworked in a small Norwegian Town. This is my knife.

2)Benchmade Bushcraft knife. Made in Oregon. It is a pretty good knife.

3)Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf d-2 steel. Lots of guides like that one.

These three feel better than a compact piranta havalon knive with is a decent to go knife but if you like have a real knife look at the three above.

rodney482

WKR
Mel pardu switchblade made by benchmade.

It is alwaysin my pocket.

also my last line of defense on predators.

4.5" razor sharp blade.

Definitely S30V. I upgraded a few years ago and couldn't be happier. I know you don't want recommendations but I opted for a KOA Alpha Wolf.

KMD

Banned
I have a Charlie May 'Slitter' in S30V that is a wonderful tool to use on game. Holds an edge exceptionally well. That said, I have a buddy making me a lightweight 'backcountry' knife right now from ATS-34, also a high quality steel. Just can't get into the Havalon deal, I like a knife to be a knife!

Still gonna have my SOG Flash II clipped on my pocket. Nice EDC semi-serrated blade, reasonably tough, carries small & hidden, fast assisted open & firm lockup. Mine is 2.9 oz. on the scale...

OP
fillthefreezer
some dont like havalons, i love em! the knife in question would only be used on critters if i lost or broke my havalon.
what i will expect- of it cutting through wood for fire, or limbs when hanging trail cams. cutting mtn house bags and vacuum packs. cutting cord. that sort of stuff. pretty remedial tasks but i want to know that whatever stupid chit i cut with it doesnt matter as it will hold its edge for the season, then get sharpened up at home as i dont pack a sharpener.
D2 was another i had heard good things about but could not remember...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have s30v benchmade its an impressive blade but you couldn't cut wood with it. D2 can have rust issues if not oiled. Bench made has a list of their steel and its hardness on their web site. Sorry can't link with my phone

Not trying to be rude, but for the tasks you mentioned the Havalon should do just fine minus chopping firewood. Personally, with firewood I just break them to size for the stove. It just seems for your planned use the knife might be a bit redundant?

There are a ton of good choices out there. Do you prefer stainless or high carbon? My pocket knife is S30V and is an incredible blade. I make fixed balde knives and use all high carbon steel. 1095 is a great steel widely used by many. Reguardless what you buy you must take care of it. Wipe it down after using it. Do not store in sheath for long periods and it will last you a lifetime.

Floorguy

WKR
I really am liking the Sandvik 12C27 that my Mora Fire knife has. I used it out in salt water cutting bait fishing line fileting rockfish and it has still held its edge and the salt water hasn't messed it up at all.