Chris Brackett Sentenced Yesterday

Chris Brackett admitted poaching and smuggling deer. Federal prosecutors said forty-one-year-old Christopher Brackett used to host "Fear No Evil". Brackett admitted killing two bucks in Indiana in 2013 within minutes of each other when state rules said he could only take one in a season.
Brackett also admitted taking the second buck to East Peoria, Illinois and the next year featuring it as "the Unicorn Buck" on his show because of its antler formation. Brackett will pay fines and restitution totaling $30,000 dollars to Indiana. He'll be sentenced in November to two and a half years of probation and a worldwide ban on hunting during that period.
Brackett also confessed in court to ordering his cameraman to destroy footage of the first buck shooting. The first buck was an eight-point buck. The Unicorn Buck was an eleven-pointer.

sram9102

WKR
I remember hearing about this a few years ago. Glad he finally got some sort of punishment. The worldwide ban seems a bit far fetched... What does the IWVC cover 40ish states? I feel like there should be a much higher minimum for an intentional violator of hunting regulations in any of the states the IWVC covers. Something like 10 years of not hunting would be much more of a deterrent.

Bobbyboe

WKR
I would imagine the wold ban on hunting is identical to any other probation requirement, such as no alcohol, or no drug use. If you get caught then you are subject to additional punishment with revoked probation. In this case if he got caught hunting anywhere he would be in violation. Pretty simple actually.

ODB

WKR
I unfortunately looked this guy up to see who he was... I just don’t get this whole thing anymore... it’s beyond the pale...

KHNC

WKR
So when you break it all down, he shot an extra buck in Indiana. $30k fine, two years probation, and no hunting for two years.........that sounds like a lot of punishment for one deer.
Well, he was rude to his camera guy too.......thats how he got busted.

[
I remember hearing about this a few years ago. Glad he finally got some sort of punishment. The worldwide ban seems a bit far fetched... What does the IWVC cover 40ish states? I feel like there should be a much higher minimum for an intentional violator of hunting regulations in any of the states the IWVC covers. Something like 10 years of not hunting would be much more of a deterrent.

Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact now covers 48 states. Only Hawaii and Massachusetts are not members.

ClearCreek

fatlander

WKR
d304b114214a513c5faf86ec36abb4e1.jpg

If you’ve ever seen the pheasant hunting video of his, you’ll know exactly what this is referencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mproberts

WKR
I would imagine the wold ban on hunting is identical to any other probation requirement, such as no alcohol, or no drug use. If you get caught then you are subject to additional punishment with revoked probation. In this case if he got caught hunting anywhere he would be in violation. Pretty simple actually.

Exactly this. It is pretty much my understanding that the exceedingly large fine and ban were both agreed upon as part of a plea deal to avoid prison time, since Lacey act violations could get you 5+ years in federal prison. It's enforceable since it's terms of his probation. While it was "only" an extra deer that's not really what got him in real trouble, it was the transportation of illegally killed wildlife across state lines that made it a federal offense.

dtrkyman

WKR
He got what was coming to him, he also lost his livelihood so I think he got hammered!

Anyone who knew him saw this day coming, not so much the poaching but the way he treated people was definitely going to come back full circle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk