Christensen Actions Suck - Or Just Mine Does?

Max Draft

FNG
I just got a new Ridgeline 280 AI and the action feels very clunky. Way different than my Weatherby. Hoping that it smooths out over time.

7rem

FNG
Figured an inflammatory title might bring about more feedback. I bought a Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor a few months ago. Overall, I really like the rifle and am impressed with it. It shoots five shot groups .75MOA with factory ammo, cleans easy, and IMO looks great. But I find the action lacking! I’m not a guy who prioritizes smoothness of an action, but I find that with this rifle it’s pretty finicky on closing with a round in. Once the bolt is pushed forward and a round is in the chamber, the initial movement to close the bolt sometimes requires a bit of a wiggle, or a hard push forward with downward pressure. It kind of catches. It’s not what you’d call smooth to close, to the point where I’m worried that in the heat of battle my wife might have trouble chambering a follow up round on a critter. It’s that noticeable. Anyone else!? It seems to be the case with a variety of ammo. Like I said, I’m not bashing the rifle overall as I really like it, but the action seems lacking.
They look good and that’s it !!!

natedock1

FNG
I own a Tikka and a Sako. If I had bought five more Tikkas, one in every caliber, I’d have five accurate rifles and nothing to troubleshoot nor whine about. Had to try something risky for something to do!
i own a tikka t3 bought back in 2003 and that action is buttery smooth. i wish the CA ridgeline would adopt the tikka action....just flute the bolt to make it a little different. that would really improve their rifle over the garbage remington 700 action...feels like there is sand in the action when you try to cycle the bolt compared to the tikka lol

Axlrod

WKR
It’s supposed to rub there! That the cam for primary extraction.
The extraction cam only should touch the bolt when you are extracting, at the top of the bolt throw, not when the bolt is closing. But on a side note, no CA I have seen is timed properly, so the extraction cam NEVER touches the bolt.

Hangtown

FNG
Interesting. I was thinking of purchasing one of these rifles for my son. Good to know the actions may be suspect.

OP
MTMeatHunter
Interesting. I was thinking of purchasing one of these rifles for my son. Good to know the actions may be suspect.
The action isn’t buttery smooth but my Mesa shoots five shots of factory ammo into 3/4” consistently. Roughness aside, I’m perfectly happy with the rifle.

OP
MTMeatHunter
It’s a clunky Remington 700 clone. Did you expect anything different?
It’s my first rem 700 clone. I didn’t necessarily expect anything. I’ve owned or own Kimbers, Sakos, Tikkas and Ruger M77s. My buddy just picked up a Ridgeline and with the sample size of two Christensens between us, I now know what to expect in the future. I had to learn for myself.

natedock1

FNG
The action isn’t buttery smooth but my Mesa shoots five shots of factory ammo into 3/4” consistently. Roughness aside, I’m perfectly happy with the rifle.
I have no doubt the Christiansen Arms
Mesa and ridgeline are taco drivers delivering consistent sub moa groups but man….no way a $2000 rifles action should feel like a $399 scope and riifle combo off the rack at Walmart when cycling ammo. I am that action locked up has no bearing on accuracy but can’t get behind buying something that feels like sand is stuck in it when using it. It would bother the piss out me me every time I ejected a shell

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I'm of the SUCK category. I have two Traverse's; one in 308 and a 25th Anniversary 300WM. The 308 shoots lights out, no problems. Bolt is buttery smooth

The 300WM is a turd. Heavy clunky bolt with various ammo. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE bedding job from the factory. Action screws were loose as well. It is at the gunsmith being fixed properly.

It is literally like they were made by two different companies. Obviously, one was built on a Friday afternoon before quitting time.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300 wsm that shoots great. and feeds ok. But on my 65 PRC ridgeline titanium it does not feed well at all. the bolt does not slide smooth what can you do

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
Oh and the chamber is super tight when I size my brass, Or Avenue brass the bolt is very stiff

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mesa and I have no problems with the action. It cycles just like a standard 2 lug Rem 700 Action to me. In regards to how smooth it closes, this is something I have never even taken note of. I was always taught to cycle a bolt rather forcefully.
I came here to say this. I have a Mesa in 7RM and it likes to be cycled very forcefully. No issues for me when doing that.

Edit: I should mention this is with factory ammo. Haven’t had the opportunity to reload and shoot pre-fired brass through it.

jpmulk

WKR
I also just got one in 7-08. Same deal with it being tough to chamber. However, mine did not shoot under MOA. Mine shot 5 inch groups and had to be sent in.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
They look good and that’s it !!!
That’s not entirely true or fair to say. some guns like others may have a bad batch I have four Christiansen rifles three of them are amazing. I have kill shots on multiple animals at all different distances. They perform and when they do they perform well. I do have one that has a tight chamber but I reload and it is a tack driver but it does feed sloppy if I use old brass that probably outlived its expectancy I’d recommend this guy send the rifle back and have them check it out it’s not gonna affect the accuracy.