Christensen arms Feeding issues (video)

tommy1984

FNG
* Reposting in the correct forum*

Hey guys, I have a new Christensen arms traverse that I have yet to even fire. When I got it I tested the action and it was extremely hard to feed. I sent it back to Christensen arms and they said they polished the chamber, Feed rails, feed ramp and replaced the magazine and follower spring.

upon getting it back I tested the feed again and have the same issues. Contacted them back and support said they spoke to the smiths and the rifle is fine.

I took the videos below and sent them and am waiting their reply. Can you guys please watch these videos and let me know what you think the issue may be.
Thanks

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same issue on a mesa. Mine was the metal mag box which surrounds the spring and plastic feed ramp. Take your barreled action off and make sure that metal box is aligned. Hope that helps good luck.

OP
T

tommy1984

FNG
I had the same issue on a mesa. Mine was the metal mag box which surrounds the spring and plastic feed ramp. Take your barreled action off and make sure that metal box is aligned. Hope that helps good luck.

I done that before I sent it back the first time, then they claim to have replaced the mag box so not sure that’s it.

did you watch the 3 videos to see all the issues I’m having? Some may be normal for Christensen arms, I don’t know as it’s my first one. But none of my other bolt actions behave this way.

I have 2 CA rifles (Traverse in .308 and classic carbon in 300 WSM) and neither of mine do that, so I do think there is something in there doing that and they need to fix it.

It seems like you definitely have an issue, sorry you have to deal with this. Christensen should take care of you for your trouble in this. My ridgeline has been great so far.

Thank you for posting the thoughtful videos of your issues. It seems you have invested a lot of thought and time in to your problem.

Last edited:
OP
T

tommy1984

FNG
Does any one know if there’s a Christensen arms rep on this site? If so I’d like to direct their attention to this thread.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Tommy did you ever hear back from CA? I am having the same issues as your 3rd video. There is a noticeable scratch/jagged line just like yours on bullets that are cycled in and out. I’ve called CA customer service and they are absolutely terrible. Bummer if they are a sponsor on here.

OP
T

tommy1984

FNG
I got the gun back today, was basically told "the issues are "non issue" but we polished everything again and installed a weaker follower spring"

On the marks in the copper jacket they said that's normal and nothing can be done for it..

Weird thing is its not normal on any of my other rifles..

At this point I REALLY wish I would have ponied up another 1k and bought a fierce.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
What a joke. I spoke with them twice today about two different issues. One being the jagged scratch when putting a ballet in the chamber and the other was an ejection issue with a spent case. Both reps said to “send it in” and that they were 4-6 weeks out from probably being able to look at it. They also gave me the ”non issue” BS which is why I haven’t sent it it yet. That and I cant have my rifle away for that period of time. I too wish I had gone with a Fierce or Seekins. I thought CA made a good rifle at a good price but I am starting to find out otherwise. Live and learn I guess.

Wow! That’s terrible feeding. I’ve had to rework the feed rails and ramp but that was also due to a wyatts box and long VLD bullets.
Where did you buy the rifle from? I’d be inclined to request a refund and move on from that rifle if they aren’t willing to replace it or fix the feeding.

TexasCub

WKR
It appears that when you work the bolt with some authority it feeds just fine, even on the last video where you are looking for scraping on the jacket (not sure why that’s something to be concerned about) but the other two shells in the Mag didnt slide forward like when you were moving the bolt super slowly. Ive got a Mesa and to be honest ive never analyzed how it feeds to the degree you have above. I stuff it full of shells and work the bolt and shoot. It’s the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. How does the rifle shoot?

OP
T

tommy1984

FNG
I’ve never shot it.. was refusing to until they corrected the feeding issue. Maybe I was just expecting to much coming from a browning but this round of repairs included a weaker follower spring which smoothed up the feeding Considerably.
Hoping to take it to the range in the next week or so but they did send a .4 moa target to me and said they fired it with my rifle.

Tommy
Many bullets sometimes scrape while feeding on the jacket. You could smooth the mag box lip and feed ramp edge a little and see if it helps.
I’ve also had to switch springs and it solved feeding issues as well as a different follower.
Be sure to let us know how it shoots.

OP
T

tommy1984

FNG
Work shop not the house, safety was on and I’ve never had a gun go boom unless I pulled the trigger. But thanks for the safety tips :)

boliep

Lil-Rokslider
The customer service issue here reminds me of Montana Rifle Company when they were losing money. It is much cheaper to give you the non-issue response than it is to work on something.

I sure hope this is not the case with Christensen.

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same issue with my Ridgeline 6.5 creedmoor. At first I thought the issue was some hand loaded ammunition but I tend to have the same issue with factory. I notice that it tends to feed much better when pressure is put on the firing pin to send the bolt home straight forward - as soon as I try to work the bolt from its handle it’s like side way pressure just causes the whole thing to jam up. It does work better when you slam the shit out of the bolt but who wants to do that when your hunting. I had 2 hunts this fall where the gun completely jammed trying to get the first round in. I had to dump everything in mag box and top load 1 round- I’m pissed. I haven’t contacted Christensen Arms yet... do you have email if anyone that was helpful down there? Did you finally get the issue resolved?