Christensen Arms Mesa Extraction Issue

Blabetron

FNG
Hey all,

My sincerest apologies if this is posted in the wrong forums, or if this type of post isn't allowed, please delete if it breaks any rules. I am a long time lurker, and with this most recent experience, I thought I'd ask y'all first!

I recently purchased a Christensen Arms Mesa in 7mm Rem Mag. I was finally able to take it out to the range yesterday to do the barrel break-in process Christensen Arms suggests. After blasting 50 shots and a very tender shoulder later, I was left happy, but troubled. The rifle shot well and accurate. However, I have an issue with the spent cases extracting. It seems to shoot the spent case forward towards the bore rather than out. Sometimes, it seems to just drop the round where it is. Out of the 50 rounds I fired, less than 5 successfully extracted. However, I observed when unloading an unfired round it extracts every time, though somewhat anemically.

So on my way home, I picked up some snap caps in 7mm Rem Mag. Oddly enough, those don't extract either.

I checked the ejectors and both (magnum calibers have 2 plungers) of those seem fine. They are firm, and can be depressed with consistent pressure and pop right back up. The extractor (M16 style) also seems to function without issue when manually depressing the back part of it. Regardless of the smooth function, I decided to clean the bolt. I used Hoppe's version of break cleaner to de-grease the plungers and extractor. I also cleaned the bolt face. After applying a slight amount of lube around the pins holding the ejectors and extractors in, I tested the function again, and got the same results. I then applied a tiny amount of gun grease behind the bolt lugs and by the camming surfaces and still the same results.

I've uploaded a video to youtube, but after reading the rules, I am not exactly sure if it's allowed to post it. If allowed, I would be happy to share it.

Any thoughts as to what may cause it? I appreciate the help!

Your fine to post a link to the video.
Are you being tender w the bolt trying to catch your brass or are you actually using it?
If you have double plunger and m16 extractor you should be fine.

OP
B

Blabetron

FNG
Ahhh cool deal! Link at the bottom. It seems that if operate the bolt fast and strong, it is worse. If I go a bit more slowly, the spent case seems to pull back towards the rear of the receiver better, though still not ejecting.

OP
B

Blabetron

FNG
I’d start with Christensen.

I sent them a note and hope to hear back on Monday. I just thought I'd ask here as well in case it was some extremely simple that I am over looking. I am a bit newer handling bolt action rifles and really understanding how they work and whatnot.

Is there anything blocking the extractor for closing?
Seems really weak.
You should be able to put the bolt and clip a case into it. It seems to me the extractor isn't clip on well or had weak tension.

Wapiti1

WKR
The back end of the extractor is contacting the rear ring and being depressed enough to let go of the cartridge. It is not easy to see, but at 13 and 22 seconds you can see it happen. With the bolt out, see if the back of the extractor is proud of the bolt body. It should not be. It should be flush or slightly recessed with or without a cartridge snapped under it.

Talk with Christensen. It is an easy fix (replace and refit the extractor), and all you should need to do is send them the bolt.

Jeremy

Jorge400

FNG
I’d start with Christensen.

What he says. I've had no problems with my Ridgeline but a buddy did with this. He called Christensen and they were aware of the problem and gave him two options. Send the bolt back and they would fix it or they could send him a kit to correct the problem and save time. He chose the latter and the bolt ejects fine now.

OP
B

Blabetron

FNG
Awesome, thanks for the info gents!

The back end of the extractor is contacting the rear ring and being depressed enough to let go of the cartridge. It is not easy to see, but at 13 and 22 seconds you can see it happen. With the bolt out, see if the back of the extractor is proud of the bolt body. It should not be. It should be flush or slightly recessed with or without a cartridge snapped under it.

Talk with Christensen. It is an easy fix (replace and refit the extractor), and all you should need to do is send them the bolt.

Jeremy

The extractor doesnt seem to be sitting proud when the bolt is removed. But it may be a few thou proud when loaded with a snapcap in the receiver.

What he says. I've had no problems with my Ridgeline but a buddy did with this. He called Christensen and they were aware of the problem and gave him two options. Send the bolt back and they would fix it or they could send him a kit to correct the problem and save time. He chose the latter and the bolt ejects fine now.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I sent them a note yesterday so hopefully they will respond on Monday or Tuesday, though I may just give them a call.

I've had a couple problems with my Ridgeline. Can you remember what the fix was?

rootacres

WKR
I have a CA Ridgeline 300 WSM that literally had the same exact issue as you. I called into their customer service and they sent out a new extractor within a week. My issues have since gone away. Their extraction problems are pretty well documented and in my case the CS was great to work with.

Jorge400

FNG
I've had a couple problems with my Ridgeline. Can you remember what the fix was?

I do not know exactly. I'll try to check with him but he's heading back from a hunt in Mexico now. While he was displeased with the issue, he seemed happy with Christensen and he was able to easily fix it him self with what they sent him.

Jeremy

Man good catch.
OP remove your scope and mounting base. See if it clears up.

Stalker69

WKR
Does not look as though it has anything to do with the scope or bases. Seems pretty well documented its an “ issue “ CA is well aware of. Good luck op and others with this problem, let us know what they do for you.