Christensen Arms Mesa Journey

TexasCub

WKR
Every time that I've had a rifle do as yours does, and I didn't mess with it, it was ALWAYS optics or mounts. I had a broken Talley ring that I couldn't see the crack in that had me tear a rifle I built all the way down and check my tenon torque.

All for a fuggin ring base.

I'd get another scope on it and check the mounts.

this!^^^^^

No way you shot that group you showed the pic of after you got it back and now it’s shooting shotgun patterns and the rifle is the culprit. You’ve got something else going on. Scope, mounts, or you.

I have not, but as mentioned, the scope I'm using has been proven. I did have a friend shoot it before I sent it back, with predictable results. Think I may have found what was wrong, though. Give me a week or two here to get some ballistic data under my belt and confirm.

Any updates?

khuber84

WKR
Sometimes factory ammo will shoot well initially. After 100-150 rounds and the barrel breaks in, the velocity will speed up putting it into a barrel timing issue that causes it to become inaccurate and cause flyers. Another thing is a carbon ring or highly fouled barrel will increase pressure and cause velocity spikes or increases that do the same thing to accuracy.

Alright guys, sorry for being slow. Work and school have been, to say the least, busy. Anyway. I was able to correct all of my accuracy issues with one quick fix.

Got rid of my Mesa and purchased a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, and now my groups look like this.

View attachment 139920

So no answer/explanation for what was wrong with the Mesa?

And that’s a sharp looking Winchester!

EastMT

WKR
Alright guys, sorry for being slow. Work and school have been, to say the least, busy. Anyway. I was able to correct all of my accuracy issues with one quick fix.

Got rid of my Mesa and purchased a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, and now my groups look like this.

View attachment 139920

I just bought one of these, super impressed with the quality, finish. Shoots just as good with factory, can’t wait to test some hand loads

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
So no answer/explanation for what was wrong with the Mesa?

And that’s a sharp looking Winchester!

Nope. I tried every trick I could think of, and performance was wanting even after it was "fixed." It'd shoot an acceptable group about a third of the time when I got it back... I'd guess I spent probably $100 in factory ammo trying to chase down the issue. Zero consistency.

That M70 is pretty sick, though. I truly can think of almost nothing else I'd want in a mountain rifle.