Christensen Arms Mesa Journey

So I’m confused. You got it back from Christianson Arms and you were able to get sub MOA using factory ammo a few days ago, then just took it back to the range and you can’t get anywhere near MOA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
So I’m confused. You got it back from Christianson Arms and you were able to get sub MOA using factory ammo a few days ago, then just took it back to the range and you can’t get anywhere near MOA?

First range day after I got it back, I had time to shoot three 3 round groups. Two looked pretty good, one was poor. I assumed the bad group was me. Then today, without changing anything, accuracy was as seen. Ten groups, with two just below 2 MOA and the rest between 2 and 3 MOA. I only had one actual target because I wasn't anticipating spending all afternoon trying to get its groups down to a reasonable size.

I have been around lots of Mesa's, I would guess ten or so now. All shot under an MOA. Some out of the gate and some with a little tweaking. It's very odd it would shoot that first group then fall off that much.

I agree that it's odd. However, as stated above, that first range day was super quick, and 2 out of 3 groups looking good is hardly enough data to definitively say anything about a rifle. What kind of tweaking have you observed to be effective? At this point, I'm all ears.

bascott1

WKR
My 6.5 Mesa shoots the federal premium 140gr accubonds fantastically. .5moa all day. So well that my buddy bought the exact same rifle and shoots the same ammo with similar results.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Have you tried another scope on this rifle?

I have not, but as mentioned, the scope I'm using has been proven. I did have a friend shoot it before I sent it back, with predictable results. Think I may have found what was wrong, though. Give me a week or two here to get some ballistic data under my belt and confirm.

Every time I about have myself talked in to a CA Mesa in 300 Win I start looking around online and find enough recent stories like this to scare me away from them. It just doesn't seem like CA can get their act together with customer service issues.

tdot

WKR
When you first shot the rifle after it came back from CA, were the first two groups the good ones and the third the bad one? Or was the bad group thrown in the middle?

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
5 shots at 100 yards CA Mesa 300wm. I’ve worked with a few of them now in 6.5 and 300 never had an issue getting under 1 moa. Hate you got a lemon.74A7EB2A-4D74-4E74-8868-1A10CA23822B.jpeg

JakeB2010

FNG
I have a mesa in a 7mm RM. During break in, it was between 1/2 to 3/4min very consistently with 162gr ELDX ammo. Groups began to open up on the next couple shooting sessions and I had found one of my scope base screws had loosened up on me, Retorqued base and scope to spec with loctite and all has been dandy. That being said and as others have mentioned, its puzzling that it would shoot sub moa and then go back to shooting like crap. Have checked your free float to make sure that the barrel is not making contact? Christiensen has been known to use excessive compound on their "spot beds". Ill be eager to hear your results after you get your gun back.

Astelk

FNG
I have a Mesa in 7 mag. Shooting factory Nosler 160 accubonds. Shoots great!

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Every time that I've had a rifle do as yours does, and I didn't mess with it, it was ALWAYS optics or mounts. I had a broken Talley ring that I couldn't see the crack in that had me tear a rifle I built all the way down and check my tenon torque.

All for a fuggin ring base.

I'd get another scope on it and check the mounts.

Ramblin99

WKR
Would like to address the CA customer service issue. I own four CA's and have called CA 2-3 times on various issues. I always speak with someone very knowledgeable and helpful. All of my CA's perform flawlessly. Before anyone here writes them off for poor customer service, know that their growth has been nothing short of explosive....because they make awesome products. ANY business that is undergoing explosive growth will struggle occasionally on the service side of their business. It's going to happen. There is no business owner that can accurately predict their future and staff adequately for it. Give them a little time and their support staff will match up with their ever-growing size. Here's hoping you come back to this thread with a solution to your Mesa accuracy problem.

TexasCub

WKR
Well my CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC was a tack driver right out of the box. Never have I owned a rifle that shoots everything so good. I like this rifle more than anything I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned a bunch of rifles.

Attachments

• 198BD4E6-B0B6-49F9-AC24-235820FB797C.jpeg
    198BD4E6-B0B6-49F9-AC24-235820FB797C.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DDEAA2E1-CE6D-4DE2-B7FC-3D149C263865.jpeg
    DDEAA2E1-CE6D-4DE2-B7FC-3D149C263865.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 64
  • 68E220FF-DF2F-425D-AB2B-E2D5A1E5D64B.jpeg
    68E220FF-DF2F-425D-AB2B-E2D5A1E5D64B.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 64

Mike 338

WKR
I'd clean it and hand it to another good shooter for evaluation. It's just one of those troubleshooting things you do to check off variables.