Christensen Arms Mesa or Ridgeline??

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Left Handed shooter…there are not a ton of options for us lefty’s out there other than getting a “basic” hunter style rifle in the major brands.
I have settled on Christensen as they fit my price point, and compared to the major manufactures, are far more optioned out.

For those that have shot both, and preferably owned at least one of them, is that extra $800 for the Ridgeline worth it?

SoCal desert Muley, spot and stalk is primary application. But I plan on spending a lot of time at the range learning my new Vortex LHT.

Thank you

I’ve owned both. Still own my Mesa. Personally, I didn’t find the ridgeline worth the extra money unless weight is your priority. The short action mesas are pretty light mostly because of barrel contour (my creedmoor is 6lb 10oz) but the long actions and 6.5PRC Mesas are definitely a step up in weight. Not light, to me. I guess my advice would be to step up to the ridgeline if weight is a priority and if the chambering you want is only in the ridgeline (like the 280AI).

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my mesa 6.5 prc on black friday sale for $1049, my ridgeline 300 win. was $2055 out the door. The mesa will shoot .2 and with a less experienced shooter or if you have bad form it still shoots about .5, my ridgeline is the most finicky rifle I have ever owned and I cant wait to burn that barrel up and put a bartlien on it. The mesa is just so ever slightly heavier than the ridgeline. If I had it to do over again I would buy two mesas or a Seekins.

Last edited:
OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your thoughts. Went with the Mesa, could not justify the extra $800 for weight and “second kind of cool”

A-Brakke

FNG
I was in the exact same boat 3 weeks ago. Went with the mesa….you won’t be disappointed

rootacres

WKR
What caliber?

I have owned a Ridgeline in 300 WSM, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another (I sold it to help fund a custom build). My brother owns a Mesa in 308, its a very accurate rifle. I don't know this as fact but I would think the rigidity of the Ridgeline carbon barrel may be superior to the Mesa barrel profile in magnum applications. I would think in standard loads it would be a coin flip.

I have had good luck with the carbon barrels Ive owned. My Ridgeline was accurate, it was the rifle I learned to reload with. My amateur at best reloads it was a 3/4 moa rifle. I have since learned a lot, built a 7 SAUM w/ a PROOF barrel, its legit 1/2 moa.

Also, the LHT worked great for me. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
What caliber?

I have owned a Ridgeline in 300 WSM, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another (I sold it to help fund a custom build). My brother owns a Mesa in 308, its a very accurate rifle. I don't know this as fact but I would think the rigidity of the Ridgeline carbon barrel may be superior to the Mesa barrel profile in magnum applications. I would think in standard loads it would be a coin flip.

I have had good luck with the carbon barrels Ive owned. My Ridgeline was accurate, it was the rifle I learned to reload with. My amateur at best reloads it was a 3/4 moa rifle. I have since learned a lot, built a 7 SAUM w/ a PROOF barrel, its legit 1/2 moa.

Also, the LHT worked great for me. Good luck.
Since this is replacing my Ruger M77 as my primary Muley rifle, went with another .308. For my applications, it pretty much does it all, is widely available, and does not break the bank.

rootacres

WKR
Since this is replacing my Ruger M77 as my primary Muley rifle, went with another .308. For my applications, it pretty much does it all, is widely available, and does not break the bank.
308 is never a bad option. Widely available should have an * next to it right now. Hopefully the availability continues to go in the right direction. For what its worth my brother grabbed factory 165gr accubond loads from Nosler and factory 178gr ELDX precision hunter loads from Hornady. His rifle preferred the ELDX. Thought that might help you in your search. Best of luck with your new purchase.

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
308 is never a bad option. Widely available should have an * next to it right now. Hopefully the availability continues to go in the right direction. For what its worth my brother grabbed factory 165gr accubond loads from Nosler and factory 178gr ELDX precision hunter loads from Hornady. His rifle preferred the ELDX. Thought that might help you in your search. Best of luck with your new purchase.
Awesome! Thank you for sharing his experience, if I can get ahold of them, I’ll definitely give them a go.

Anyone else that has experience with the Mesa in .308, care to share what they found ran the best?

Appreciate everyone’s input. By far the best forum I have ever had the pleasure being a part of.
Respectfully,
-Adam

WoodBow

WKR
I can't compare to the mesa but man do i love my ridgeline. I might as well sell every other rifle i own because they may never hunt again.

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
I can't compare to the mesa but man do i love my ridgeline. I might as well sell every other rifle i own because they may never hunt again.
As long as there are no issues with my Mesa, one day…when funds permit

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
When you get a chance, would you mind measuring the total length from recoil pad to the end of the muzzle brake? Curious of what the total length is on the short action mesas. Im guessing it will be close to 44 inches....

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
When you get a chance, would you mind measuring the total length from recoil pad to the end of the muzzle brake? Curious of what the total length is on the short action mesas. Im guessing it will be close to 44 inches....
No problem, but it does not show up to my FFL until 6/1…I’m sure someone here will beat me to it.

I own a Mesa, but have not shot the ridgeline. I had zero experience with long range shooting and shot a 5 inch group at 625 yds with my Mesa the first time I ever attempted a shot past 200 yds (after finishing their barrel breakin and with the assistance of a Kestrel and streylok application). The fit and finish is superb. Much prefer the hand-laid stock over plastic stocks from competitors. It just feels so much nicer to hold. I can’t think of a reason to want anymore out of a rifle unless there is a significant weight savings in going with the Ridgeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk