Christensen Arms Mesa Problems?

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the word on Christensen? I’ve been seeing some iffy things going around and it has me worried. I just bought a Mesa the other day, I hope it wasn’t a mistake.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Have a 28 nosler mesa that is capable of shooting a whole lot better than I can. The issues with Christensen is well documented, but those are primarily with their carbon fiber barrels (ridgeline models).

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Have a 28 nosler mesa that is capable of shooting a whole lot better than I can. The issues with Christensen is well documented, but those are primarily with their carbon fiber barrels (ridgeline models).
Ya I had heard about the problems with the ridgelines, but I wasn’t sure if they were carrying over to the other rifles or not cause there was some chatter about the Mesa’s as well

Big Iron

FNG
I have a Mesa in 300 PRC. After the break in with +- 80 rounds thru it, groups poorly.

I sent back to the factory last week to see what is up.

I will say so far customer service has been good.

Jhy

FNG
Go shoot it. It’s either a shooter or it isn’t.
Mine was not.
Sent it back they re-barreled , and now it is.

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I've been shooting quite a bit.
It's my first rifle (besides an AR) so its taken a bit to get used to the recoil and energy of the 300 WM.
But with practice I've brought my groups down from 3" at 100 to about .9" at 100 yards

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
My 7mm Rem Mag CA Mesa shoots like a dream after break-in. It likes almost all factory ammo I’ve shot through it and I am just now starting to load my own to tighten the groups even more. Last week I bumped into a guy at the range with 2 mesas - 1 300 PRC and 1 28 Nosler. He loved both rifles and had nothing but good things to see about CA.

Like you, I found a bunch of threads about troubles with CA rifles during my waiting period. Suffice it to say all of that concern went out the window after I got behind the rifle and fired a few rounds. I think you are going to really like this gun.

-RadDad

rootacres

WKR
I owned a Ridgeline, I sold it to help fund a custom build I wanted to work on. The rifle shot great. My brother owns a Mesa in 308 and it's among the most accurate factory rifles Ive had experience with. My Ridgeline was the rifle I originally learned to reload rifle loads on. I didn't resize some cases correctly. I ended up jacking up an extractor, messaged Christensen, they dropped a new one in the mail with no questions asked.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Traverse's; one in 308 and a 300WM anniversary.

The 308 shoots lights out. Basically cloverleafs shots. Can shoot a string of 10 shots and they all group consistently.

The 300WM has been a dog. Bolt has been very tight and feels like getting overpressure with standard factory ammo. Groups were well above 2". I sent it back and within two weeks it is being turned around with a new barrel, head spaced and bedded. So customer service is very good. Groups they sent seem promising as well.

Shoot yours and see how it does. If it is bad, just send it back.

Im on the fence about picking up a mesa, I've handled them and like them but read so many reviews that really make me question owning one. But, I've had issues with other manufacturers as well so I know it's not just a CA thing. My other problem is I cant decide what cartridge I want my next gun in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a Meas FFT in 308 it shoots whatever you put in it
Im curious how do you like the gun? Other than it shoots good..looking at a prc or 7mm-08. Havent convinced myself to jump on that bandwagon...

300 win mag mesa here. Did barrel break in per christensen instructions (approx 50-70 rds of winchester and federal soft points). Have since put 3 boxes of sierra game kings through it. So I’m up around 250 rounds with zero mechanical issues. The gun has shot lights out even in the beginning of barrel break in process. Cloverleafs at 100 yds with the cheap soft points. Same with the Sierras. Shot plate size groups repeatedly at 625 yds with a 9x scope and zero long range experience at the time. The gun is mor accurate than I am for sure. Oh also, has been on one mountain hunt and several whitetail hunts. Still like new. I love mine. Just my personal experience.
433e8b9f9a7880de36bb3937b5120aae.jpg

This is my group at 625 yds after adjusting my dope calculations from impacts at 300. First time I had ever shot past 200 yds in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Iron

FNG
Dont want to de-rail this thread but....

With their Mesa, has anyone ditched the CA stock, put a aftermarket stock on, and had a noticeable improvement in accuracy?

Has anyone fixed the spotty factory bedding job on the CA stock and got noticeable improvements in accuracy?

Im curious how do you like the gun? Other than it shoots good..looking at a prc or 7mm-08. Havent convinced myself to jump on that bandwagon...

I really like the gun its a little barrel heavy but other that that its handles like my Model 7s

Pdog06

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone fixed the spotty factory bedding job on the CA stock and got noticeable improvements in accuracy?
I have been wondering the same thing?

So far a I have 80rounds Thru my 6.5cm Mesa. While It’s tough to test accuracy during break-in(shoot 6 and clean), what groups I did shoot have shot more like 1.5moa out to 400yds. Not bad but also not near as good as I expected out of the box. That was with some factory ammo but I just loaded some rounds to try to see if they shoot better.

For me I feel like I am struggling keeping the pencil barrel at a cool or even temp when I try to shoot a couple groups. I feel I can see the groups open up if I shoot 2-3 consecutive 3shot groups without a lot of time between shots…

Also I noticed during break-in that I would get a tighter bolt lift for the first 4-5 shots after cleaning? Then it smooths right out? Not sure why? Barrel and chamber were spotless, with No residue or cleaning solution left behind.

I have roughly 80 rounds down a new Mesa fft 6.5 creed. It’s been a surprisingly good shooter so far and I’ve got an itch to grab a Ti model.