Christensen Arms or Browning Xbolt?

So i am in the market for a new rifle in either 6.5 prc or 300 win mag. I will probably end up shooting unknown munitions ammo since i dont reload. My goal is to shoot out to 1,000 yards(or so) and have it be comfortable to shoot/carry. Would i be gaining any extra long range performance going with the Ridgline instead of Mesa. Also, i hunt a lot in Arizona so long shots are common . Imainly hunt deer but also will have an ocasional elk hunt. Feel free to share experiences with these rifles and post pics of groups at the range with these rifles. If i go with 6.5 prc i will shoot 156 bergers and 215 bergers if i go with 300 winnie. Thanks.

I absolutely love my x bolt 300 win mag hells canyon. I have killed almost everything in Alaska with it. The adjustable trigger and the weight is great for me.

gexpro

WKR
Ive had great luck with my 300PRC ridgeline. took my mule deer at 455yrds last year. I suggest getting the 300 win for the extra punch. dont have much experience with the x bolt. awesome accuracy with my CA rifle. would buy again if i had to do it all over.

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a 300 WM browning X-bolt and it's been great up here in Alaska.

madcalfe

WKR
id go with a ridgeline over a mesa. i personally don't care for brownings, and 300wm if your planning on actually shooting critters at those distances especially elk. I believe a 6.5 is a 1000yard target gun and a 600yard max caliber for game. or split the difference and go 7saum ;)

Bater

WKR
You’re going to get a whole lot of opinions. Between me and my hunting/shooting buddies I’ve seen/shot quite a few Hells Canyons and CA Ridgelines. Honestly pretty much everyone was a shooter after load development. My current most accurate rifle is a Ridgeline in 28N. Pick the rifle that fits YOU best and I bet the accuracy will be there.

slowelk

WKR
With either of those options in 300 WM you are going to have to single feed the 215 bergers that Unknown loads. If you want a factory option that has the mag length you should look at a Seekins Havak.

You will not gain anything with a ridgeline over a mesa in terms of LR performance.

With either of those options in 300 WM you are going to have to single feed the 215 bergers that Unknown loads. If you want a factory option that has the mag length you should look at a Seekins Havak.

You will not gain anything with a ridgeline over a mesa in terms of LR performance.

I've got a X-Bolt in 300wm with an 8twist. I can load to the lands with 215gr hybrids and still feed from the factory magazine. Not sure exactly which model is.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

OP
alpinebuck
Could i replace the magazine box on the christensens with a wyats mag box and feed the unknown munitions?

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I have an X-Bolt Max Long Range in 300WM. The factory magazine length allows me to seat my 212 ELD-X to 3.595" which is the longest I can seat and it feeds reliably. Unknown Munitions advertises their 215 Berger to 3.600"

Can't speak to the CA but I can say that the X-bolt is a shooter. It is interesting that Browning chose a 1:8" twist... I don't know if that influences your decision any.

2five7

WKR

The X-bolt will feed Unkowns 3.6" 300 Win loads just fine. OP should check the throat length in his rifle just to make sure he isn't jamming, but the mag will feed them.

Go with whichever rifle shoulders the best.

If the bulk of your hunting is for elk, then go with the 300 WM; if the bulk of your hunting is for deer, then go with the 6.5 PRC. The 6.5 PRC is plenty for elk but you may need to adjust your shot distance.

Here's a free piece of insight: just because you personally want to run a specific bullet and/or load, your rifle has the ultimate say. This is potentially even more true if you are not going with hand-loads.

Flyjunky

WKR

Simply not true. You can load to the lands in the CA and still feed from the mag box. The mag box on the Ridgeline/Traverse is 3.170 if I remember correctly. I posted in another thread a picture of how we used a Dremel and lengthened out the mag for the Xbolt and can now load the 215's to 3.705 if we need to and it feeds great.

To the OP: yes, you can have a Wyatts installed in a CA by a gunsmith, but you don't need to do that. The best place to research anything about CA is on LRO.

My Browning Xbolt Max Long Range is shooting handloaded ELDX 220 grain from Pendelton Ammunition at 0.5" MOA!!!!! Shot an elk at 505 yards this year. Spot on!!!!!!

I do not have any experience with the Christensen. I never shot an x bolt however I just picked one up in 30-06 (hc speed) for my boy. This thing is a work of art and feels great. I really like how it has a bolt lock. I do not like how some bolts can open up while walking or being slung over your shoulder.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
alpinebuck
How far did you shoot those rifles out too, and what bullets were you using