Christensen Arms Ranger .22 LR?

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah cool idea having a .22 trainer, but I could buy my Savage MK II FVSR four times for the cost of one of these ☹

I’m at cabelas right now and just looked at it $400, how is it for shooting at 200+ yards? Can the trigger be adjusted to around 1lb? I have a Ruger precision that is ok out to 300 but I had to put a better barrel on it, bed it and do the trigger mod to get it down around 1lb.

The CA Ranger has a trigger tech trigger and better stock, the Savage stock is heavy and solid, blued barrel vs stainless carbon. I guess they could of put a plastic stock, basic cheap trigger and barrel on it and probably got the price down to $300 but those are a dime a dozen.

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
I’m at cabelas right now and just looked at it $400, how is it for shooting at 200+ yards? Can the trigger be adjusted to around 1lb? I have a Ruger precision that is ok out to 300 but I had to put a better barrel on it, bed it and do the trigger mod to get it down around 1lb.

The CA Ranger has a trigger tech trigger and better stock, the Savage stock is heavy and solid, blued barrel vs stainless carbon. I guess they could of put a plastic stock, basic cheap trigger and barrel on it and probably got the price down to $300 but those are a dime a dozen.
I'm curious how you think the T1x stacks up to this new offering. I've burned plenty of 22lr ammo over the years but only recently started looking into one for a precision trainer. (Mostly in attemp to cure buying a new centerfire to play with every winter.)

The T1x is looking pretty great for most who have one but 100ish yard targets are all I am seeing. I'd spend the dough for something I don't have to tweak and fiddle with much in the rimfire dept. I have plenty of centerfires that I fiddle with already.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious how you think the T1x stacks up to this new offering. I've burned plenty of 22lr ammo over the years but only recently started looking into one for a precision trainer. (Mostly in attemp to cure buying a new centerfire to play with every winter.)

The T1x is looking pretty great for most who have one but 100ish yard targets are all I am seeing. I'd spend the dough for something I don't have to tweak and fiddle with much in the rimfire dept. I have plenty of centerfires that I fiddle with already.
I've shot the tikka and think its a great offering for the price. At first glance I think the stock will have a much better feel on the CA. Tigger is for sure better than the tikka. I like that they did the 10/22 mag on the CA. I also like that it comes with a pic rail, never really did like the dovetail on the tikka although you don't have to use it. Carbon barral gives it some cool factor but I'm guessing the tikka barrel will keep up with the CA. I've been planning on getting a CZ trainer but this might do instead. I would love to see this build with a medium profile steel barrel in 24in.

tdhanses

WKR

I haven’t personally seen or even handled one in person but I think it might struggle at distance, hard to say really.

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks interesting. I think I’d still go tikka in a bravo. Looking forward to some reviews.

For those saying it’s crazy price, I’d agree that it’s not so much. I can afford to shoot a .22lr way more than any centerfire.

tdhanses

WKR
Looks interesting. I think I’d still go tikka in a bravo. Looking forward to some reviews.

For those saying it’s crazy price, I’d agree that it’s not so much. I can afford to shoot a .22lr way more than any centerfire.

Does the tikka have aftermarket barrel and stock options, sounds like one stock is available? That might make it more interesting but then your probably at the same price. Do they use their standard trigger they use in the center fire options?

Another thing besides ammo is shooting out barrels gets expensive.

Lawnboi

WKR
Does the tikka have aftermarket barrel and stock options, sounds like one stock is available? That might make it more interesting but then your probably at the same price. Do they use their standard trigger they use in the center fire options?

The tikka has a few options available and more coming. Guys are rebarrel Iv them and running them in a lot of chassis setups. No idea on traditional stocks. Also comes with the same trigger as the t3 which with a new spring goes pretty low, and is a great trigger. Add on that many different rail options and the tikka is looking like a heck of a deal. Either way the bravo chassis is a pretty nice piece for not too much money, that and a 20 or 30moa rail and I’d be off to the races. If I wasn’t balls deep into two rifle builds I’d have the above setup and be shooting 22 matches this summer.

I definitely see the value in a 22. For me as much as for my wife and hopefully future kids. Now I just need arim fire can.

tdhanses

WKR
The tikka has a few options available and more coming. Guys are rebarrel Iv them and running them in a lot of chassis setups. No idea on traditional stocks. Also comes with the same trigger as the t3 which with a new spring goes pretty low, and is a great trigger. Add on that many different rail options and the tikka is looking like a heck of a deal. Either way the bravo chassis is a pretty nice piece for not too much money, that and a 20 or 30moa rail and I’d be off to the races. If I wasn’t balls deep into two rifle builds I’d have the above setup and be shooting 22 matches this summer.

I definitely see the value in a 22. For me as much as for my wife and hopefully future kids. Now I just need arim fire can.
It is super addictive! I don’t shoot matches, most of the matches here are only 25-100 yards, so not really appealing but I’ve practiced a ton with those that do and it’s every bit as serious as PRS.

My daughter is going to take over my Ruger precision as it has a stock that is super adjustable down short enough for a kid to big enough for an adult. I actually think it’s a great value option.

Last edited:

Plenty of options for the Tikka stock and more are coming out all the time. Mine is in a KRG Bravo and it’s fantastic.

I’ve taken mine out to about 350.... it’s great practice for the price of ammo. An $8 case of sporting clays and you have a ton of targets. Shoot the clays, then shoot pieces of the clays as they get smaller and smaller.

The CA looks cool. I’m sure they’ll sell a ton of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wyosam

WKR

I don’t have any targets beyond 100, mostly because my range only snow blows a path that far. It is sub moa at 100, and I’ve rung steel to 400 now with it. 4” target at 200 is pretty easy, beyond that wind calls have to be pretty dead on. With snow and 24x you can kind of walk it in though. Had a guy ask me what the hell I was aiming at when I was shooting the 400 gong last weekend- it is already an uphill shot, add in the 22lr rainbow (76 minutes of up to get to 400), and it does start to look like aiming at airplanes.

Tons of stock options for the T1X, you can put it in pretty much anything you can put a T3 in, with minor work from my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
This is perfect timing. Our range only goes to 200 yards and every place within 2 hours that is safe to shoot 500 to 1000 has had access roads deactivated or other outdoor enthusiasts have started using the area within the last couple years.

I was just starting to think that I needed to up my 22 game over my CZ. Are there other options other then this CA between a Tikka and a Vudoo?

What's sort of ammunition should I be looking at? Scope?

tdhanses

WKR
This is perfect timing. Our range only goes to 200 yards and every place within 2 hours that is safe to shoot 500 to 1000 has had access roads deactivated or other outdoor enthusiasts have started using the area within the last couple years.

I was just starting to think that I needed to up my 22 game over my CZ. Are there other options other then this CA between a Tikka and a Vudoo?

What's sort of ammunition should I be looking at? Scope?

Man hard to improve on your CZ without going vudoo, the CA may be very similar to a CZ. CZ’s are great just hard to find I think and I’m in their home town which may be the reason I had a hard time getting one so went Ruger.

tdot

WKR
Man hard to improve on your CZ without going vudoo, the CA may be very similar to a CZ. CZ’s are great just hard to find I think and I’m in their home town which may be the reason I had a hard time getting one so went Ruger.

Cool, good to know. Maybe I need to revisit the CZ. Put a scope on it that can dial and push it past 100 yards... I've only used it with a duplex reticle, I may not have been doing it justice.

tdhanses

WKR
Cool, good to know. Maybe I need to revisit the CZ. Put a scope on it that can dial and push it past 100 yards... I've only used it with a duplex reticle, I may not have been doing it justice.

Put an swfa 10x42 on it and stretch it out there, don’t shoot bulk ammo or cheap stuff, get some Eley Club or Target to start with and see how it does. With 22’s that you are not just plinking with ammo is huge in accuracy.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Just talked to a buddy who's down at shot show. He was excited to check it out and I was getting antsy to get one ordered. He said he picked it up and the action felt like garbage. Hopefully the production models will not be this way but I'm defiantly gonna wait to see before I place an order.

boom

WKR

i have the Savage. i put a better stock on it so i could lock my cheek in.

mine is stupid accurate. i had it out to 170 yards with a plain-jane Vortex rimfire scope. nothing special, no MOA rails or anything. i could squeeze off a round, and watch the bullet drop back down into the scope POV and see it crush the tiny target. i was hitting clay pigeon (tiny pieces) remnants with a bunch of AR guys. they were shocked.

i am an average shooter. not bad, not great. i do get the occasional miss-ejection.

i still want a higher end .22..someday.

Put an swfa 10x42 on it and stretch it out there, don’t shoot bulk ammo or cheap stuff, get some Eley Club or Target to start with and see how it does. With 22’s that you are not just plinking with ammo is huge in accuracy.
Quality, consistent ammo is definitely key with the little .22LR, and matching the ammo to your rifle to see what your barrel likes. However, you don't necessarily have to go nuts and buy the most expensive ammo. You may be surprised to find your rifle does well with something more inexpensive like CCI Standard Velocity or SK Standard Plus (a good place to start for most).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk