Christensen Arms Ridgeline 300 WSM Initial Thoughs and Weight

Cooposo

FNG
First ever new thread for me, here it goes.

The new rifle (Image #1 with Model 70 Featherweight in 270) with with thread protector installed weighs 6lb 4.8 oz. I mounted a 4-12x40mm Vortex Viper (16 oz) with X-Low DNZ Game Reaper mounts (2.9 oz). Scope clearance was perfect at about 2mm. Weight now at 7lb 6.8 oz unloaded, 7lb 10 oz with 3 cartridges in the magazine. For 300 WSM I would not want my rifle much lighter than that. To me the green of the stock is darker than stock photos, and the yellow webbing much less bright, so I was happy about that. Triggertech trigger is impressive, it breaks cleanly and I like the shape. Unfortunately I didn't have the ability to measure the weight, but it is adjustable. I've swapped out other stock triggers before, that won't be happening here. I could only get to a 50 yard range for initial break-in. My first two shots after bore sighting were touching. I then followed the recommended break in procedure for 26 rounds. Recoil was extremely tolerable with the brake, comparable to a 25-06 I've previously shot. Without the break this thing thumps; I'll just leave it at that. With Browning 155 gr BXR ammo I was printing 1/4-1 inch three shot groups with little effort (again, at 50 yards). I ended with a three shot group of Hornady Outfitter 180 grain CX that measured 1/4 inch (images 2-3). I think this rifle is quickly headed toward 1/2-1 MOA no problem, but we'll see what shooter errors I introduce at 100-200 yards!

My only hiccup was brass/nickel slivers/shavings from the Browning ammo causing one of the two ejectors to remain pushed in. This was easily cleared out by pushing in the plunger and clearing out the shaving, but it happened a couple times. Also, after the recommended cleanings I found the first round fired to be a little bit more difficult to extract. My guess is this rifle has a very tight chamber and a little residual bore cleaner might have caused the slight extraction difficulty. Shots 2-6 did not have this problem. It could also be the dimensions of the Browning ammo. The Hornady did not have the same problem. Any thoughts are welcome about either of these hiccups.

Between my range day and cycling the bolt at home I've had 40-50 rounds cycle with absolutely no feeding difficulty despite the short fat round. Overall I am super impressed with this rifle, and the recommended break in isn't even done yet.

20220421210647_IMG_6197~3.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_164058042.jpg
    IMG_20220424_164058042.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220424_164209737_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220424_164209737_HDR.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I have the same rifle in the Carbon Classic version. I assume they stopped making it at some point. It shoots like yours. Very accurate for me.

OP
Cooposo

Cooposo

FNG
I have the same rifle in the Carbon Classic version. I assume they stopped making it at some point. It shoots like yours. Very accurate for me.
My dad has an early 2000s 300 WSM from them, which may be from when they only did custom orders. Not sure when they started the current model lines. Anyway I think his is most similar to the Carbon Classic like yours. The thing is an absolute killer, and no one in the family chooses anything else to hunt with when given the option. However, I mentioned the successful feeding above because his does not always feed perfectly. I've heard this is a common problem with the short magnums in the 700 actions, so I was happy to see mine feeds well. I'm sure Christensen figured something out in that regard in the last 20 years.

KHNC

WKR
Yeah, mine sticks occassionally. I probably have not shot more than 125 rounds thru mine. Ammo is hard as hell to find the last few years and super damn expensive. I spend a lot more time shooting my bows.