Christensen Arms Ridgeline/ Hornady ELD-X

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of luck have you guys been having with loading the ELD-X?
I recently picked up a Christensen Ridgeline in 7RM and I am not having much luck in my load workup with the 162 . In the other 7RM rifles I own and have put together using AMAX's and Accubonds, I have been able to achieve superb accuracy using both H1000 and Retumbo, but not these ELD-X's so far in the Ridgeline. Any experiences or thoughts would be much appreciated.

cocky84

WKR
Me and my buddy have had terrible luck with eldx in anything. I tried for a month to find a load to shoot out of my 7rm. He has 7stw. We tried 175 162 and zero luck in either. Had best luck eith 168 grn vld berger on top of retumbo.

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my buddy have had terrible luck with eldx in anything. I tried for a month to find a load to shoot out of my 7rm. He has 7stw. We tried 175 162 and zero luck in either. Had best luck eith 168 grn vld berger on top of retumbo.

Damn that sucks! I have only been able to hit about 1" consistently working up from 68-72gr of H1000 in .5gr increments. 71 gr at 3030 FPS has been the best and hit about 3/4" inconsistently. But i know that gun better be capable of more for $2K lol where my savages are generally under .5". The 168 VLD was defiantly going to be my next option, was hoping this one was going to work though. Pretty disappointing. Thanks a lot for the info brother!

cocky84

WKR
No problem. What twist rate is barrel. Mine was 9 1/4 and i had to stay below 150 grn to get anything I considered good groups.

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
No problem. What twist rate is barrel. Mine was 9 1/4 and i had to stay below 150 grn to get anything I considered good groups.

Its a 9, same as the Savage I put together. And the Savage drives tacks with 160 Accubonds and 162 AMAX's with a Shilen Select Match on it. Haven't shot the Accubonds or AMAX's yet though from the Christensen, nor the ELD-X from the Savage yet, cause the Savage doesn't have an optic on it at the moment.

Don't be surprised if the CA never shoots much better than MOA. Lots of them turn out that way, mine never came out better than .75. Their guarantee is only 1 MOA.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Don't be surprised if the CA never shoots much better than MOA. Lots of them turn out that way, mine never came out better than .75. Their guarantee is only 1 MOA.

Gotcha, I was starting to worry about that but was praying not. I noticed when I was zeroing it initially with some of my good Accubond loads I had from my other rifle, it wasn't shooting much better than I have gotten with the ELD-X so far, but I was hoping I could develop something better. I figured that with their guarantee of 1 that I could get something work down to hopefully .5

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Are you playing with seating depth at all?

I have messed with it a little bit, but I keep reading that many guys are having the best luck loading them to SAAMI, with bad luck loading them up almost to the lans like everyone does with the Bergers. At least from what I have been seeing.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried any of the ELD-X bullets in any rifles at all so I can't help you with that part.

I have loaded for 3 different Ridgelines though. (2-300wm's and 1-26 Nosler) They all group very well with Bergers but it wasn't right away. I had to play with the seating depth quite a bit before I found what they like. It seems to me that they really like a lot of jump. Off memory I think the best loads are around .100" off the lands.

Hope that helps

I'm not sure how that gun is throated, but I am getting stunning results seated .008 to .010 off the lands. I have used some of the Prescision Hunter ammo and hand loaded to as deep as .025 to .030 off the lands with awful groups. Some were 5" to 6" at 200yds. It wasn't until I seated closer to the lands that the groups tightened up, big time! It's worth a try especially if you hand load, what do you have to lose???

connorwilliams

Lil-Rokslider

Wow. These guns do shoot, Justin has reloaded for 2 ridgelines in .300wm that are both shooting just above .25moa. Tack drivers after figuring out what they like

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You said the H word! I've never had much luck with them. I've had luck with 12 CA rilfe/barrels and Bergers/Noslers combo. You will have to mess with seating depth.

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried any of the ELD-X bullets in any rifles at all so I can't help you with that part.

I have loaded for 3 different Ridgelines though. (2-300wm's and 1-26 Nosler) They all group very well with Bergers but it wasn't right away. I had to play with the seating depth quite a bit before I found what they like. It seems to me that they really like a lot of jump. Off memory I think the best loads are around .100" off the lands.

Hope that helps

Awesome, thats great info man. I guess my problem ended up boing more with finding what the rifle wanted vs really wanting to make the ELD-X work. Ill defiantly pick up a box of the 168 Bergers and get to work. Thanks Justin!

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
You said the H word! I've never had much luck with them. I've had luck with 12 CA rilfe/barrels and Bergers/Noslers combo. You will have to mess with seating depth.

Haha, Ive personally had great luck with AMAX's primarily, as well as other projectiles in their line. I guess i just really wanted to get them to work. But I will defiantly be ordering up some Bergers and join the cool guys club! Haha Thanks Ryan!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome, thats great info man. I guess my problem ended up boing more with finding what the rifle wanted vs really wanting to make the ELD-X work. Ill defiantly pick up a box of the 168 Bergers and get to work. Thanks Justin!
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the bullets you have won't work. I was getting some terrible groups with Bergers in the Ridgelines until I found the seating depth they liked.

You will be cooler if you shoot Bergers though.

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the bullets you have won't work. I was getting some terrible groups with Bergers in the Ridgelines until I found the seating depth they liked.

You will be cooler if you shoot Bergers though.

Haha I always prepare for long range hunting, but I always seem to end up shooting stuff quite a bit closer than I anticipate, at least so far in my short western hunting "career/life". I think i just want that bullet to work considering it will supposedly not grenade quite as bad as other high BC bullets closer in. Between my Muley, Oryx, Elk, Barbary and Speed Goat last year, my longest shot was 245 with my muzzleloader off all things on my antelope haha. All the others were rifle kills (Oryx 75ish, Elk 225, Barbary 45, Barbary 200 and Muley 75ish (All with 160 Accubond hand loads at 3030 FPSish) in the savage that I put together (stock 110 action, Shilen Select Match 1:9, Manners MCS-T3). I was just a shade worried on the Berger in some of these closer scenarios. Any experience on this with the bergers?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have a few closer range kills with Bergers and have not had a problem with them. I shot a small bear at 70 yds that died on the spot. I shot a bull elk through both front shoulders at 200 yds and he didn't make it 5 steps. I've shot deer at ranges of 50-415 yds and never had a problem with the bullets. All of these were with a 140 grain .264 VLD at 3220 fps muzzle velocity.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
15 feet, 40 yards, 5 more around the 100 yard mark on elk. Killed lots of deer under a hundred yards. Berger's just kill.

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few closer range kills with Bergers and have not had a problem with them. I shot a small bear at 70 yds that died on the spot. I shot a bull elk through both front shoulders at 200 yds and he didn't make it 5 steps. I've shot deer at ranges of 50-415 yds and never had a problem with the bullets. All of these were with a 140 grain .264 VLD at 3220 fps muzzle velocity.

Bitchin, good enough for me! Thanks bro!