Christensen Arms, Right Choice?

I' ve read a lot of post in the past about these rifles. Would like some current thoughts. Planning on buying a rifle in the near future. Like the look and feel of these rifles, but never shot one or known anyone that had one. I am a hunter, not a target shooter, so a half inch or inch group doesn't make that big of a deal to me. Just a consistent shooter i can count on. The caliber I want is a 300 rum. Also any comparison between the hunter, extreme, and the custom. Thanks for your help.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been around two of Christensen's rifle as in personal experience.

My uncle and his son both had their Winchester Model 70 guns (just plain old wood guns) retro fitted with the carbon barrels. Both guns lost a few pounds (they went with Synth stocks too) and went from typical 2" groups to less than 1" and even to 1/2". They are big believers in the carbon barrels. The theory around the carbon advantages is great and seems to deliver. If they didn't deliver, I don't think they would be around all these years.

I have not been around a Christensens's built-from-the-ground-up gun, but based on these two guns and other things I've read. wouldn't hesitate to explore them. They seem like a good company, too. Based on the waiting list, they seem to be in demand- I think it took a few months (3 years ago) to get their rifles finished, but well worth it to them.

Anyone else been around these guns?

Last edited:
Muley Hunter.....I loooovvveee mine and have had it for 6+ years. It's a 300 WSM (I wanted the short action) in a titanium Remington action and carbon fiber stock, so I believe I ordered the "custom". It is 6.5 pounds scoped and it easy on the shoulder with its titanium muzzle break. The only neg I have is it is loud, but that is the sacrifice for reduced recoil. It is consistently reliable and sighted in when I go to the bench to shoot, in fact I don't know that I have ever had to adjust the scope, except when I changed loads. I like it so much I have sold off other guns and it really is the only rifle I hunt big game with now. I personally like hunting with one rifle that I am very familiar with. My wife even likes hunting with it. I told her we'd get her her own rifle, but she just wants to shoot mine.

You mentioned a half inch group being not that big of a deal to you, and neither was it to me. I used to always say I just needed a rifle that shot "minute of deer" and almost all of my hunting shots were inside 250 yards. But now that I have a rifle that shoots 1/2 inch groups consistently, and with the confidence this gun is always on, I now sight my bullet drop reticle at 400 yards and verify the primary reticle at 100 yards. I am very comfortable to consistently make 400 yard shots in the right hunting situations. I would think shooting the 300 RUM you will want great accuracy to take advantage of that caliber and its longer range potential. Simply put a 1" grouping rifle will group at 5" at 500 yards and that is 1/2 the diameter of a typical kill zone just in the accuracy of the rifle itself. A 0.5" in grouping rifle will group at 2.5" at 500 yards allowing more for other variables.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have two and love them!! I have a 300 RUM that is a stone cold killer.

SAM_1448.jpg

bern0134

FNG
When I found out the barrel on my 270 win (which is a weatherby mark 5) was warped, I put a carbon barrel from Christensen Arms on it. I haven't really got the chance to really test it out since other than a few break in shots. It is definitely a lot lighter and louder w/ the muzzle break. Can't wait to really get out and see what it can do. I met a guy once on the Valles Caldera National Preserve, NM who had a custom Christensen in 300 (I can't remember if it was RUM or Win Mag). It was one beautiful gun. The trigger was crisp. His wife was used it to harvest her cow that year.

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like I'm the exception here, I had a .300 rum custom. When I first got it the best groups it would shoot were just under 2 inches at 100 yds. with the load data they provided me. When I contacted them they told me it was probably a bedding problem and they would fix it if I sent it back, so I did. Two months later I got my rifle back and was back at the range set up on sand bags, I fired three shots and felt something weird on the grip (I had the thumbhole stock) I looked down and saw that a big chunk of my stock on the bottom of the grip had busted off and there was a crack running up toward the trigger guard. Sand bags aren't pillows but come on! I immediately made another call to Christiansen Arms and told them what was going on now. This time I was told they would replace the stock if I once again shipped it back to them. Another two months and I got my rifle back only to discover that my stock had not been replaced, instead the missing piece and crack had been filled in and sanded to shape with resin and painted. The sad thing is it was done so poorly the paint didn't even match! By now it was hunting season and I wasn't about to send my gun back again for more repairs. So I went hunting and my dad and I were walking along a good looking, rocky, outcropping I have my rifle on my shoulder with the sling when all of a sudden it just busts loose. Luckily I caught it before the scope smashed into the rocks. When I got to looking at it the sling stud had ripped out of the fore end of the stock! Not unscrewed, pulled straight out. I tried to get my money back, offering to send the rifle back for a full refund. I was told that because the rifle had been returned for repairs previously they couldn't give me a refund and I should have asked for one the first time I had an issue with the rifle. I now own a Borden!!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have had issues with many custom gun manufacturer's everyone produces a lemon. But you should of received better customer service than that!

OP
M
Thanks for a the replies! Was hoping that most where happy with them. It sounds like most went with the extreme or custom? Talked to a salesman, sounded like the extreme 2 was the best value. Also is it worth upgrading to a timney or jewel trigger? Is the Remington action ok, or should that be upgraded?

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine has the 300 RUM in the Hunter model. I loved shooting it and using it sometimes. It shot really well and loved the weight. The downside is the loudness of the Muzzle brake but that can be changed. I would have got one myself, but the funds aren't there right now.

Do you have an action to build off of? I just checked out the price of the extreme II and for that price you can do way better, I think. I just had a semi custom built off a rem action I had. Im like 2000 into it maybe 2500 with a vx-3 on top and the smith guarantees a 1/2 moa group at 100 yards. The other good thing is the smith is like 1.5 from me. I think you can really do better than that price for a gun. The carbon barrels are lighter but not as light as some people think. For the price Im not sure 6 or so oz is worth it compared to a similiar fluted barrel. Defiinitely up grade the trigger I went jewell but either will be good.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
muleyman- AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.

Bummer dude. I'd have probably switched, too.

Like Ryan says, anyone can produce a lemon, but once you've been soured, it's hard to stick with that company.

I have a similiar stories about a commercially produced gun and binocs. Luckily in the USA we have choices.

OP
M
Just ordered the Extreme 11. Didn't go with the teflon coated action or the sako extractor. They said I could add on for the next month. Any feed back on these two things? Are they needed, or just add ons to spend more money?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't have the Sako extractor. But I do like the Teflon coating. It has been really durable....

What Cal did you go with?

Christen Arms make rifles that work period. Do I think you can build a better gun for cheaper? Yes... they've gotten huge exposure through their long range hunting shows and they make rifles that shoot good and kill animals/steel with great success.

This picture here is a 3 shot group at 300 yds out of my .280 Ackley with Rock Creek Barrel chambered by my good friend and hunting partner (who will also be the primary rifle builder for HCA in the coming months). Home bedding job by myself into an HS Precision stock with a factory 700 action and Vortex PST scope.. Granted this is a heavy M24 contoured barrel finished at 24" and the gun is heavy to pack (12 lbs) but there are some areas that we will be losing weight for our hunting rifle packages. As pyrodux mentioned, a lot of smiths out there will build your rifle for you and can get you a quality 1/2 MOA gun and you'll be money/time ahead of christen arms. The biggest things they have going for them is their carbon wrap which is a good weight saver. Especially with the magnum/ultra calibers where you need a little longer barrel to keep from sending powder out the muzzle.

262080_10150701159480107_529275106_19670558_2903874_n.jpg

Same rifle 3 shot group on the right at 100 yds. This has been the rifles best 100 yd group to date I think measured .11 MOA.
73394_10150304033510107_529275106_15410630_1664553_n.jpg

Mike