Christensen arms sub MOA ?

Back in December I picked up a Christensen arms mesa chambered in 6.5 prc, but due to the ammo shortage this is the first week I've had enough ammo to break in the barrel and sight it in. After the barrel break in I started to sight it in at 100 yards and see how it would group. I was very excited and was expecting some accurate groups but ended up being disappointed, after attempting different groups with a box of Hornady's eldm match ammo and their precision hunter neither one would group under a inch let alone even close to it.

One of the main reasons I bought this rife for was its known accuracy, am I expecting to much out of this rifle ? I know they have a MOA guarantee but is that with factory ammo or hand loads ? I know the scope is sound and is mounted right with quality base and rings, I just want a rifle that can group under a inch with factory ammo and not have to mess around with many different brands of ammo or hand loads. My wife is going through her second round of cancer right now so between taking care of her and work I don't have the time to tinker with a handload or shell out a stupid amount of money to try other ammo if I could even find any.

I called Christensen and they told me to go online and create a label and send it in for a turn time around of 6-8 weeks. If I do that and finally get it back and it doesn't shoot well ill be up the creek without a paddle because by then it will be very near to hunting season. I understand no products perfect but this is the last thing I wanted to deal with right now. But maybe I'm being unreasonable and should try to find other ammo types other than Hornady ? Id appreciate any advice.

smith406

FNG
I gotta ask, are you capable of sub inch groups?

If yes are you capable of it when your feeling rushed at the range coupled with life stress?

I ask because just had a similar experience with a new action/barrel. For me the rushed/stress factor led to not internet rad groups. A week later I went out with more time and a better head space and the groups shrunk considerably.

One of the main reasons I bought this rife for was its known accuracy, am I expecting to much out of this rifle ? I know they have a MOA guarantee but is that with factory ammo or hand loads ?
Their guarantee is likely with factory ammo. Usually companies say handloads void the warranty.

JakeSCH

WKR
Check the torque on the action screws. Mine would shoot sub half moa with hand loads when I would take my time and shoot sub moa all day long.

OP
GetWestern
I gotta ask, are you capable of sub inch groups?

If yes are you capable of it when your feeling rushed at the range coupled with life stress?

I ask because just had a similar experience with a new action/barrel. For me the rushed/stress factor led to not internet rad groups. A week later I went out with more time and a better head space and the groups shrunk considerably
I had the rifle on a lead sled and felt very steady, I have achieved sub moa groups with other rifles before

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
How well is the scope attached? Proper torque, level, all screws perfecto? That seems to be a really, really common cause of problems folks have with brand new guns. And the above mentioned action screws. It really seems like in most cases it's not the barrel. Sometimes but not often.-WW

Clean the barrel real good with a carbon remover, then a copper solvent. Wait at least one minute between shots, and five minutes between groups. Ditch the lead sled and use sandbags. Finally, let someone else shoot a 3 shot group with it if nothing else works.

Sadler

WKR
I had the exact same thing happen to me last year with a Ridgeline chambered in 300 PRC. I was getting about 1.5”-2.5”groups at 100 with Hornady Match ammo. I called Christensen and they swapped the barrel out within a couple weeks and sent the rifle back to me with a verified sub moa group with hornady match ammo. So no need to be worried if you’ll get another lemon. They verify it’s good to go before they mail it back to you and send the target with it.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Agreed with everything said, I’d call and ask them what factory ammo they use for their tests/MOA guarantee (I know with the 300wm it’s nosler 180ABs). Make sure stock isn’t making contact with barrel somewhere, torque actions screws, make sure everything is good with scope/mount/base, get rid of lead sled and use bags/tripod, let someone else shoot it as well. I’d do all that before sending it back.

One sneaky issue is a pinched magazine box. Open the bolt and see if the box has a little play. Much like the beginnings of a loose tooth. If not, it may be bound up. This can play hell on accuracy.

My Mesa 300 Win Mag isn’t picky at all, as long as it’s not Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped.

OP
GetWestern
Ditch the lead sled, and tell us about the optic setup?
Its a leupold vx5 hd with leupold back country rings and a 20mm base from leupold as well. Ill be shooting it again today to see how it does, I cleaned it last night and check the screws on the scope ect so we will see what happens.

OP
GetWestern
Well looks like it’s going back the Christensen, did all I could even had another shooter try it with no success. Best group I could get was 1.5 moa with match ammo, I don’t have the ammunition to keep trying this crap. Starting to wish I bought a browning or Bergara at this point. Maybe I’m one of the unlucky ones when it comes to this, although I’ve seen couple threads about this problem before.

Well looks like it’s going back the Christensen, did all I could even had another shooter try it with no success. Best group I could get was 1.5 moa with match ammo, I don’t have the ammunition to keep trying this crap. Starting to wish I bought a browning or Bergara at this point. Maybe I’m one of the unlucky ones when it comes to this, although I’ve seen couple threads about this problem before.
If it doesn't improve I would try a different scope. I've had a VX5HD start to give me 2MOA groups in a 1MOA rifle. Sent it back and they confirmed it needed a new erector and rebuilt the scope. Started playing up after it was a year old with around 400 rounds through it. Will replace it with a more robust scope when funds allow, wasted too much time and ammo diagnosing the issue.

Axlrod

WKR
How many rounds have you fired total through it? My Ridgeline in 28 Nos. had a velocity increase of 130 FPS after 120 rounds. So my barrel was "broke in" after aprox. 120 rounds.
Also It shoots .5 moa with one Nosler load (160 gr) and 1.5 moa with a 175 gr Nosler load. CA told me they used the 160 gr. testing it.

OP
GetWestern
How many rounds have you fired total through it? My Ridgeline in 28 Nos. had a velocity increase of 130 FPS after 120 rounds. So my barrel was "broke in" after aprox. 120 rounds.
Also It shoots .5 moa with one Nosler load (160 gr) and 1.5 moa with a 175 gr Nosler load. CA told me they used the 160 gr. testing it.
Probably close to 80

If I were in your shoes I would probably do the following:

1) Remount scope (and make sure all screws are clean/degreased) and use small amount of blue loctite on each screw
2) Remove action screws, clean said screws, retorque action screws to spec (65 in-lbs I believe on a Christensen)
3) Make sure barrel is free floated
4) Take a buddy I KNOW can shoot and a second rifle/scope/ammunition combo that I KNOW will shoot and make sure I have plenty of time. Each person shoot 2 5‐shot groups (same point of aim so that it makes a 10 shot group) with each setup (letting the barrel cool between groups). Compare 10 shot groups between each person and between rifles to help identify if there is shooter error. If new rifle still isn't shooting then change scopes with a proven scope and repeat shooting process.