Christensen or something else? 28 nosler or 300 prc?

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
2 question in one. I'm leaning towards 28 nosler. I mainly whitetail hunt but I plan on some mule deer and hopefully elk in the next couple years. I figured the 28 nosler will give me more versatility. Can get the 28 nosler in Christensen. Other options in the price range that come in 28 nosler or 300 prc? I'm not opposed not goin custom as I have a builder but prolly be at least 1500. Minimum. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the reamer already but will split the cost with me. What actions if not Christensen?

Last edited:

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
28 nosler is a barrel burner, but it has good ballistics! If your going to shoot a lot I would say the PRC would be better because of barrel life.

I just picked up a browning hells canyon speed in 300 PRC.Waiting on ammo and rings before I can shoot it. With a used leupold 3xi, color match (burnt bronze) rings and level plus one of my titanium brakes to get rid of the radial brake that throws debris everywhere, I will be into it $1500 total. Weight should be a little over 8 lbs. if you have mule deer and elk in your future I would try to keep it under 10 lbs scoped.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will add, I like the trigger in the browning, but it’s no trigger tech, that’s for sure. The limited amount of options for the browning are a downside for customization.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I don't plan on shooting a ton which is why I don't mind it being a barrel burner. Purely hunting. Load development first.

jfs82

WKR
Just from my limited experience and lots of research, I'd look at a Seekins PH2 or fierce fury over the Christensen. Too many horror stories.

This would be my choice!😁

There is certainly nothing at all wrong with either cartidge choice, but either of those choices is arguably overkill for whitetails and fwiw (which probably ain't much!) much more velocity and energy than what I use out west for mulies, elk, moose or what I take up to Alaska to hunt with. Like I said, nothing wrong with that - but with more/other caliber choices your quality commercial rifle options would increase greatly. Good luck with your search!

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
There is certainly nothing at all wrong with either cartidge choice, but either of those choices is arguably overkill for whitetails and fwiw (which probably ain't much!) much more velocity and energy than what I use out west for mulies, elk, moose or what I take up to Alaska to hunt with. Like I said, nothing wrong with that - but with more/other caliber choices your quality commercial rifle options would increase greatly. Good luck with your search!
I think that's what I do with everything is over think!

Shotshill

FNG
Owner of 3 CAs all have been great!
momma owns 2 as well..
sold my Fierce as it was not as advertised...
Just my personal experience.
I prefer the 700 platform.

I’ve been real happy with my CA Ridgeline for the price, performance and cool factor of the carbon barrel.

The Browning Hells Canyon is a great value in a rifle, but not made in USA. The browning platform is not as versatile as the 700 clone actions either and of course the trigger is definitely not a Triggertech.

Between 300 PRC and 28 Nosler, you have to decide imo. Since you are reloading, I think the ballistics are what would be important to you. For me, I went 30 Nosler because of potential for bear in Alaska. Otherwise I would have been happy with a 7mm or 6.5

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I really love the looks of the hell's canyon and snapped one a few times at the store and the trigger left alot to be desired for sure lol.

I plan on reloading for sure. Obviously I don't have the dies yet lol. I really wanted to go maybe 6.5 prc but not sure how it would fair on elk.

codym

WKR
If you reload go 300 prc. I built one with a 1:8 twist and am currently shooting Hornady 230 ATIPS over n565 with awesome results for ELR. I’m going to work a moderate 215 hybrid/h1000 load for my dads elk hunt. The only benefit I can see in the 28 is the brass choices, but my adg 300 prc brass is very good. If you go custom have it throated shorter, doesn’t make a bunch of sense but really helps that chambering.

I’ve been real happy with my CA Ridgeline for the price, performance and cool factor of the carbon barrel.

The Browning Hells Canyon is a great value in a rifle, but not made in USA. The browning platform is not as versatile as the 700 clone actions either and of course the trigger is definitely not a Triggertech.

Between 300 PRC and 28 Nosler, you have to decide imo. Since you are reloading, I think the ballistics are what would be important to you. For me, I went 30 Nosler because of potential for bear in Alaska. Otherwise I would have been happy with a 7mm or 6.5
I have a 28 nosler in the hells canyon long range that shoots dang good...

The Nosler Patriot is guaranteed to print real nice with Nosler Trophy Grade ammo.
Sweet little vertical integration they got there, and it's in OP's range.

"Barrel burner" is a nonissue in a hunting rifle, esp a hunting rifle that's been factory load-developed. 2 hunters could go 2 lifetimes filling 2 huge trophy rooms and never get close to 1000 rounds through it.