Christensen or something else? 28 nosler or 300 prc?

The Nosler Patriot is guaranteed to print real nice with Nosler Trophy Grade ammo.
Sweet little vertical integration they got there, and it's in OP's range.

"Barrel burner" is a nonissue in a hunting rifle, esp a hunting rifle that's been factory load-developed. 2 hunters could go 2 lifetimes and never get close to 1000 rounds through it.
Agreed.

LightFoot

WKR
I like the 6.5 PRC for whitetail/mulies.

The 28 and 300 are great long range cartridges, especially if elk is on the menu.

>>>----JAKE----->

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
I had good luck with Christensen but the rifle that doesn't get talked about a lot is the Bergara Premier line. They are a rem 700 clone so finding parts or bases is super easy. The B-14 I had was a great shooter.

To your point on calibers, if you like to shoot a 28 Nosler may not be a great option. No denying the ballistics but it burns up barrels. I have a 7mm WSM in the safe already but if I was to build another a 300 PRC would be at the top of may list.

eoperator

WKR
I vote 7mmrem or 300win. I found myself a long way from home with a 257wby, left ammo at home. Called everywhere no ammo available. Stick with popular calibers, my 2cents

dwent

FNG
To an earlier comment about brass availability, Lapua has announced that they’ll be making brass next year for both PRC cartridges, which I’d expect is a pretty good indicator that the PRC is here to stay.

Reactions: B23

Huntin_GI

WKR
I just bought a savage 110 ultralite with a carbon proof research barrel. Sadly it was supposed to be chambered in .308 on account of I already own .308 ammo and the nosler is running 3-5 bucks a round. I know little about 28 nosler. Looking for info about the cartridge. Also would be interested in selling new in box never been fired for a reasonable price if someone were interested. Love the rifle just not the caliber
Not following. I may be interested but not sure what caliber you have. Im sitting in the same boat with several boxes of Barnes 308 ammo but am more interested in a 280AI or 300 Win due to my hunts focus on elk.

B23

WKR
I don't really find the 28N all that impressive when they're in a 26in tube configuration. Now, you hang a 28 or 30 inch tube on one and those extra few inches make good use of all that powder but in a 26 not so much and it seems the trend is leaning more toward barrels 26 and shorter not longer.

With Lapua making PRC brass and especially if this will be kept in a max tube length of 26 inch I'd pick the 300 PRC.

wapitibob

WKR
I'd read up on the PRC chambering issues before I put down the money for one.

EmperorMA

WKR
First, 6.5 PRC is an excellent choice for elk. So are the 28 Nosler and .300 PRC, albeit with quite a bit more recoil.

Still limited to the Browning and Winchester rifles at this point but the new 6.8 Western would also be a great choice.

emhowe

FNG
Not following. I may be interested but not sure what caliber you have. Im sitting in the same boat with several boxes of Barnes 308 ammo but am more interested in a 280AI or 300 Win due to my hunts focus on elk.
I have a .28 nosler which is a .284 bullet. Great round for large game carries enough energy out to 800 yards for elk has great ballistics