Christensen Ridgeline- 300 PRC or 300 WM?....and component availability

Being a Lefty and not wanting to dump $4000 into a build, I've had my eye on a factory Ridgeline for a while. I am relatively new to the 300 Win Mag, but already own 2. A Heavy Bergara HMR and a gun I've actually grown very fond of as my all around beater rifle. An SPS in a B&C aluminum bedding block stock. Not a tack driver but consistent. Nice, svelt Hunting Rifle at 9 1/2ish.

The Ridgeline would probably supplant this rifle as my All Around rig. And probably cut a pound or so off the overall rifle. I NEVER run factory ammo and have reloaded for 35+ years. Have quality Win Mag dies and set up.

I don't think I need into the ballistic charts and minutia. Both rounds are super close in performance. There is a variance of twist with the PRC being 8 and Win Mag a 10. I really don't see myself eeeking the utmost in BC with 230 or higher. A 212 ELD-X or Berger 215 would be fine.

The issues are: Outlook on components. Bullet availability is going to be a MAJOR issue. But either would run the same, so that's a wash. Lapua claims new brass for both this year. Can I get my hands on either case? No clue. Any opinion on which will be easier to feed, find and run?

The idea of a beltless case horns me up. Maybe a sexier design too.

Any help in choosing one I could run this year and next, or however long this shit show lasts? I probably have 8+ pounds of H1000 on hand. Whatever I get is going to have to run with this....and no substitutes.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
You’ve said it. Component availability. I have a Ridgeline 300PRC and love it. But not being able to find ammo for it these days is very disheartening. I was able to snag 10lbs of H1000, and a bunch of Berger 245 EOLs I plan on loading up this coming weekend. Finding brass on the other hand has been very challenging.

If I could do it all again, it’s a toss up really.. I love the 300 PRC and it’s capabilities, but the ever so popular 300WM will be king when it comes to finding ammo.

oh and for what its worth, i placed a back order on Lapua 300 PRC brass, but do not expect to get them for at least 5 months

Last edited:

fmyth

WKR
You’ve said it. Component availability. I have a Ridgeline 300PRC and love it. But not being able to find ammo for it these days is very disheartening. I was able to snag 10lbs of H1000, and a bunch of Berger 245 EOLs I plan on loading up this coming weekend. Finding brass on the other hand has been very challenging.

If I could do it all again, it’s a toss up really.. I love the 300 PRC and it’s capabilities, but the ever so popular 300WM will be king when it comes to finding ammo.
I've been able to purchase 20 boxes of 300WM in the last 2 months. I've seen exactly zero boxes of 300PRC. If I was thinking of buying a 300PRC to hunt with this fall I'd take a couple weeks to try to find ammo or ammo components before buying the rifle.

I have the 30 Nosler Ridgeline. I love the rifle, light and extremely accurate. The low recoil makes it a dream to shoot. I bought a bunch of factory 210 ALBLR ammo from Nosler on sale when I purchased the rifle. With reloading, I will never need to buy ammo for this rifle ever. I would not hesitate to purchase a 300 PRC or a 300 WM. The performance of the three big 30s is so close it's a toss up in my opinion.

My only gripe about the rifle is barrel length and factory twist. I wish Christensen offered a 1:9 twist for their big 30s. I often strap the rifle to my pack for carry and the thing is like having a ship's mast above my head. I'm always hitting branches and have to think about crawling through brush. 26" barrel + the brake = loooong

I would purchase a Christensen Modern Precision Rifle in 30 Nosler right now if I could get a shorter barrel and 1:9 twist. I can justify $2K for a rifle but not $4K

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are not shooting the high bc bullets then it doesn't really matter, they are so close. Go 300 prc if you want diversity I guess.

ID_Matt

WKR
300 win mag brass has been in stock a few times in the past few months. 300 PRC is unheard of. a 1/10 twist with a 215 berger will work just dandy and you already have dies.

JakeSCH

WKR
Yeah, just to second what everyone else is saying. If you want to push the twist rate for coppers or EOL's, the 1-8" that comes with the PRC is perfect.

I went back and forth and decided to just buy a 300 WM because I already had my reloading setup in that caliber.