Christensen Ridgeline TI... 3 strikes and out!!

Sandstrom

WKR
Just wanted to let others know of all the “fun” I have had over the last year or so with my Ridgeline TI 308.
I originally ordered the gun at my favorite gun store. When it came in I decided to weigh it before I took it home due to several reports of guns coming in over the advertised weight. It weighed about 13 ounces over the specified weight.... The gun store and I decided to talk to Christensen and see what was up. Christensen agreed that it was way off and offered to fix it. It was sent in and I missed taking it on my elk hunt. It finally came back at the right weight.
4F917CDC-306C-468B-AE70-6F3BE9C5A2AD.jpeg
I then was able to shoot it. After doing the barrel break in, I felt the bolt lift required more lift than I would expect. (All the shooting was done at an indoor short range at this point due to it being winter.) I brought it back to the store and showed it to the gunsmith and explained my concerns. He agreed that I was not being a Karen and that it should be sent back again.... This time it took forever to get back. Christensen claimed to hone the chamber to get it right. Finally got it back fortunately it was much nicer out!! First trip to the range and it wouldn’t hardly get under two inches at 100 and the bolt lift after firing was still stiff. WTF!!!
I brought it back to the gun store, they also confirmed that it shot poorly. Upon further inspection, the bolt closed on both the go and no-go gauge... Back to Christensen for a new barrel.
The gun shop called in a favor and I was impressed with the turn around time from Christensen this time! 7F4CC8EA-85CD-4A1A-8625-C309CCBB1BAF.jpeg
Sweet!! I am excited at this point! Christensen did not say what they did, however from an old picture of the gun, I could zoom in on the barrel and the carbon fiber wrap had different tell tale marks. Definitely a new barrel.
First trip to the range to start the barrel break in procedure again....
Shots 1-3 were ok, slightly firm bolt lift. Shot 4 I had to use my rear bag to firmly “tap” on the bolt to “help extract” the shell.
“Here comes the putter toss!!” Fortunately I remained calm and did not take my frustration out on it with a fit of blind rage:)
23ED7648-1171-46C4-AFE3-F300E6135709.jpeg
The first three shots are circled, notice the primer flow, this I believe is partially due to the chamfered edge around the firing pin hole. If you look close you can see machine marks from the bolt transferred to the primer and a slight flatting. The other spent rounds are from a different gun.
F4DC7874-1A84-4A9E-A3D6-0A56E7364515.png
The fourth shot that stuck. Notice the ejector marks and the flat primer.... That was the end of my much awaited barrel break in season!!

Back to the gun store... I showed the gunsmith the brass, he asked if I had the gun with me. I went back outside to the truck to grab it, by the time I got back inside they had already decided to buy it back from me. Out of curiosity, I asked if we could try it on the go, no-go gauges. Shocker, it closed on the no-go!!!!
Fortunately my gun store rocks and is great to work with!
I am not sure what is going on with Christensen, I will say that they stand behind what they advertise and are willing to “try” and fix it. However in my case, they failed to get it right several times, for this reason my trust and confidence in them is gone. I would have to assume that like most businesses they are struggling with a lack of good employees and raw materials, or maybe they are experiencing growing pains. Either way I am out!!!

Now I have a pocket full of cash and a need for a new gun!

Ryan

83cj-7

WKR
You have a great gun shop there. My local shop would have told you to pound sand, and I know because I worked there!
At one point I was in the market for a CA rifle, but too many stories like this turned me away.

505Wapiti

WKR
I just purchased a Ridgeline in .300win mag. Haven’t mount red scope yet and is still in the box. Have read bad reviews with older rifles and a lot of good reviews with all of them as well. You have my curiosity up now. Can’t wait to see if it’s a shooter.

woods89

WKR
My buddy has a Traverse. It's been a needy gun as well, and he's had some of the same pressure issues you bring up here with a variety of factory ammo. After watching how it's gone for him, CA is off my list as well. It's a sweet looking rifle, but the juice just doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze.

Northpark

WKR
My brother had a heck of time with the Mesa he had. I thought about buying a ridgeline but too many CA horror stories. heck of a gun shop you have there though!

dang! that's more than bad luck!

now what are you shopping for? luckily we are pretty spoiled with options these days, there are some really nice factory rifles, in all configurations and price points.

i'm patiently waiting for someone to build a rifle that fits my needs in 257wby, might just have to do a semi custom build

I just purchased a Ridgeline in .300win mag. Haven’t mount red scope yet and is still in the box. Have read bad reviews with older rifles and a lot of good reviews with all of them as well. You have my curiosity up now. Can’t wait to see if it’s a shooter.
Same here but in 7 mag. I just sold a Mesa in 7 mag that shot 1/4-1/2 moa... hope I don't regret it.

2five7

WKR
Thanks for the detailed write up, seems like waiting a while to buy a Christensen Ti might be prudent for those of us in the market for one.

As for your new rifle, I'd take a look at the Weathermark LT, similar weight, lower cost, although it is a steel barreled gun. Or, X-bolt Pro

260madman

WKR
I was going to reply you had too much headspace on the 2nd barrel but I decided to finish reading first.

Looks like CA has some training to do.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
Not sure what to get!! I have been looking at a few options. I would like to stay with another 308 for now, however I am also looking at a 300 mag or wsm. As far as rifles, I am seriously thinking about a Tikka (or two). I am also looking at a fierce. For the Tikka, I picked one up earlier this year in 223 and am loving everything about it!
Lots of things to consider!

Ryan

My sons Tikka T3 308 is a tack driver, also look at a Browning Xbolt speed I have 3 XBolts all shooters!!!! My sons picked up Bergara Wilderness 7 mm mags and they are sweeeeet. If I didn't have the XBolts I pick one up. No issues with any of them and all < 1" MOA.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
My sons Tikka T3 308 is a tack driver, also look at a Browning Xbolt speed I have 3 XBolts all shooters!!!! My sons picked up Bergara Wilderness 7 mm mags and they are sweeeeet. If I didn't have the XBolts I pick one up. No issues with any of them and all < 1" MOA.
Thanks! I am also looking at the x-bolts. I have one that I like, however the only ammo that I found it likes is not what I like:)
Ryan

I have a 28 Nosler, 300 WinMag and 30 06 Xbolt. They all liked Federal TBT. Nosler AB, Barnes TTSX and Hornady ELDX. I'm shooting 220 Grain EldX out of the 300, 162 ELDX out of the 28 , and 180 grain Federal TBT out of the 30 06. Shot my elk at 505 yards and my mule deer at 100 yards with the 300 win. 220 ELDX's 1 shot kills!!!!!!!

The XBolts likes everything but the Browning and HSM ammo aweful groups!!!!!!!

The Tikka really likes the Federal ammo, currently shooting Fusions at 180 grain < 1" MOA (Whitetail gun).

The Bergara 7 mm mags are shooting 180 grain Berger VLD hunters at well less than 1 " MOA!

PM me if you want all the specifics.

Elk_Addict23

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what to get!! I have been looking at a few options. I would like to stay with another 308 for now, however I am also looking at a 300 mag or wsm. As far as rifles, I am seriously thinking about a Tikka (or two). I am also looking at a fierce. For the Tikka, I picked one up earlier this year in 223 and am loving everything about it!
Lots of things to consider!

Ryan

I’ve owned a couple rifles from Fierce, all .300 win mags and all have shot extremely well. Just broke in my new carbon fury and it’s shooting under 1/2” with Barnes 180gr TTSX factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
Browning has $100 rebates right now.

You could always buy a Kimber and compare their service to CA service…

As if I needed more validation for convincing my dad to get a Barrett Fieldcraft 18" threaded in 6.5CM instead of a CA rifle. I only wish I'd bought myself one too, before they stopped making them.

Sako76

WKR
I have a CA Traverse in 300 WSM and a buddy has one in 300 WM. Both rifles had their barreled actions and Pic Rails loosen up while shooting. Groups one day are great, the next day terrible. The sad part is the rifle fits me like a glove!

I briefly owned a Ridgeline. While mine shot okay, it had some of the worst machining I've ever seen. Seriously, I could've done better and I don't have a clue what I'm doing. There was leftover metal where the barrel threaded onto the action(looked like it was machined and not cleaned up afterwards, just screwed on). The chamber had a burr in it that would mar the brass. The bedding job was a joke. It was heavier than advertised.

I just didn't feel like it was worth the price I paid for it. Its hard to stomach that many issues with an $1800 rifle when you can buy a $300 savage axis that's somehow better put together. I realize they have their own issues, the point is at $1800 it shouldn't have any.

Browning has $100 rebates right now.

You could always buy a Kimber and compare their service to CA service…
While I had out of the box issues with a Kimber(barrel not free floated), they turned it around with a new stock in 2 weeks and both were shooters. Got rid of them just because I no longer wanted featherweight rifles.

Just wanted to let others know of all the “fun” I have had over the last year or so with my Ridgeline TI 308.
I originally ordered the gun at my favorite gun store. When it came in I decided to weigh it before I took it home due to several reports of guns coming in over the advertised weight. It weighed about 13 ounces over the specified weight.... The gun store and I decided to talk to Christensen and see what was up. Christensen agreed that it was way off and offered to fix it. It was sent in and I missed taking it on my elk hunt. It finally came back at the right weight.
View attachment 319054
I then was able to shoot it. After doing the barrel break in, I felt the bolt lift required more lift than I would expect. (All the shooting was done at an indoor short range at this point due to it being winter.) I brought it back to the store and showed it to the gunsmith and explained my concerns. He agreed that I was not being a Karen and that it should be sent back again.... This time it took forever to get back. Christensen claimed to hone the chamber to get it right. Finally got it back fortunately it was much nicer out!! First trip to the range and it wouldn’t hardly get under two inches at 100 and the bolt lift after firing was still stiff. WTF!!!
I brought it back to the gun store, they also confirmed that it shot poorly. Upon further inspection, the bolt closed on both the go and no-go gauge... Back to Christensen for a new barrel.
The gun shop called in a favor and I was impressed with the turn around time from Christensen this time! View attachment 319057
Sweet!! I am excited at this point! Christensen did not say what they did, however from an old picture of the gun, I could zoom in on the barrel and the carbon fiber wrap had different tell tale marks. Definitely a new barrel.
First trip to the range to start the barrel break in procedure again....
Shots 1-3 were ok, slightly firm bolt lift. Shot 4 I had to use my rear bag to firmly “tap” on the bolt to “help extract” the shell.
“Here comes the putter toss!!” Fortunately I remained calm and did not take my frustration out on it with a fit of blind rage:)
View attachment 319061
The first three shots are circled, notice the primer flow, this I believe is partially due to the chamfered edge around the firing pin hole. If you look close you can see machine marks from the bolt transferred to the primer and a slight flatting. The other spent rounds are from a different gun.
View attachment 319062
The fourth shot that stuck. Notice the ejector marks and the flat primer.... That was the end of my much awaited barrel break in season!!

Back to the gun store... I showed the gunsmith the brass, he asked if I had the gun with me. I went back outside to the truck to grab it, by the time I got back inside they had already decided to buy it back from me. Out of curiosity, I asked if we could try it on the go, no-go gauges. Shocker, it closed on the no-go!!!!
Fortunately my gun store rocks and is great to work with!
I am not sure what is going on with Christensen, I will say that they stand behind what they advertise and are willing to “try” and fix it. However in my case, they failed to get it right several times, for this reason my trust and confidence in them is gone. I would have to assume that like most businesses they are struggling with a lack of good employees and raw materials, or maybe they are experiencing growing pains. Either way I am out!!!

Now I have a pocket full of cash and a need for a new gun!

Ryan
What a bummer man, unfortunately I've heard plenty of similar stories about CA.
One thing that comes to mind with your stiff bolt is that Ti stretches 3x more than SS and heavy bolt lift is pretty common.
I had a Mesa Ti action that did the same thing, I'll only use SS actions from now on.

Check out Fierce or Seekins for your replacement