Christensen Rifles

Just got my shipping notification on my 6.5prc ridgeline. They replaced the barrel, so will be right under a month turn around, including being over the holidays, that’s pretty good. It should have never been necessary, and I wasted a lot of ammo, but assuming it’s fixed now, pretty good CS.

I load for 3 CA...

Ridgeline 6.5prc
Mesa 7/08
Mesa 7 mag

All are shooters easily sub moa, actually closer to half.

'08 is my brother's, 7mag is my son's, prc is mine.

I tripped the Ridgeline factory stock, and put on a stockeys carbon fiber, Ala faux fft.....

Attachments

• 35754.jpeg
    35754.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 37
I have a Ridgeline in .308. Originaly it did not want to shoot factor ammo as well as I had hoped. Admittedly though it is my first carbon rifle and had alittle more jump than I expected for a .308. After getting into some better quality factory ammo ( Eldm’s, Eldx’s and match kings) some quality time behind the rifle and a solid break in the rifle is probably my favorite hunting rifle I’ve owned! It’s easily and consistently shooting.5 groups. I’m pretty pumped to play with some loads and see if it could possibly get any better. One thing I have done is sand down the stock alittle more. It was awful close to the barrel and is a bit flimsy IMO . I felt there was a possibility it was flexing into the barrel off a bipod?

Just got my shipping notification on my 6.5prc ridgeline. They replaced the barrel, so will be right under a month turn around, including being over the holidays, that’s pretty good. It should have never been necessary, and I wasted a lot of ammo, but assuming it’s fixed now, pretty good CS.
I'd be interested to hear how this works out for you.

I own a ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. Loved the way the rifle felt in the store but nearly didn’t get one because of negative reviews. The guys over at long range hunting love them (unlike rokslide which really doesn’t) which ultimately convinced me to get one. And I’m sure glad I did. It’s the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned, it’s an easy 0.5 MOA rifle each time I take it out. I’ve had some groups in the 0.3 range though definitely not the norm. And that’s just shooting the factory ELD-M and ELD-X. Feeding is very smooth and reliable, though I do wish bolt throw was a little shorter.

It was a pain to break in though. It held an amazing amount of copper after each of the first 5-10 shots. It took forever to get it cleaned out after each shot. Someone commented that they borescoped one and it looked rough, I could definitely see that. After 10 shots and cleanings it smoothed out and barely holds copper now, and most importantly shoots lights out. I couldn’t be happier and would buy again without second thought. The only other downside I see is the stock, it’s pretty slim and rounded on the bottom. I have smaller hands and use a bipod so no big deal for me, but if you have big hands and/or shoot off bags/backpack frequently it’s not ideal. I’ll probably upgrade at some point, but for my needs it’s plenty rigid and I don’t mind the dimensions.

The CA replaced a tikka in 270 win that I just could not get to shoot. The best factory loads I could find were 1.5 MOA (cheap hornady whitetail rounds) in that gun, and the worst loads were over 3. I got tired of trying to make it work and am very glad I went with CA. I guess even tikka has duds though at half the cost of a ridgeline it’s probably a little easier to tolerate a bad one.

300 WM (Mesa Ti) and 6.5 PRC (Mesa), both are solid guns. I swapped out the stock on my PRC for a mesa precision.

The stock weight was my biggest disappointment with CA, but it sounds like they fixed that with the FFT's.

Both my rifles will shoot 5 shot 1/2 groups, though that isn't worth as much as it use to.

Dad has an MPR that drive tacks with factory Hornady 147 ELDM (6.5 PRC flavor). It's a nice rifle, but the more we handle it, the more I think it's overpriced by about $500-$700. The action is clunky and there's play in the stock, drives me nuts. But Dad loves it and it does shoot great!

I had a Mesa and I was extremely underwhelmed by the quality. I ended up sending it down the road without even shooting it. It seemed to have tight headspace (wouldn't chamber some factory ammo), same clunky action that would bind if I tried to run the action fast, barrel wasn't centered in the stock and it drove me nuts.

If Christensen priced all their rifles $600 cheaper I would feel different, I just don't think they're worth what you pay for them. You pay a premium for the name, but at the end of the day they're just a run-of-the-mill 700 based action with an aftermarket trigger. That's my beef with them.

It's a bummer to hear all these complaints, the Ridgeline FFT in 300 WSM with a 20" barrel looks really nice. I handled one and the action seemed smooth, I prefer a shorter bolt throw though. Wish more manufacturers would offer threaded short barrel magnums.
I just read through this thread again…where are all the complaints you speak of?

Dad has an MPR that drive tacks with factory Hornady 147 ELDM (6.5 PRC flavor). It's a nice rifle, but the more we handle it, the more I think it's overpriced by about $500-$700. The action is clunky and there's play in the stock, drives me nuts. But Dad loves it and it does shoot great!
I’ve heard the action complaint on CA, especially the Ti models. It took me running it a bit for to smooth out, but mine is just about as smooth as my tikka. Maybe I just got a good one but I have no complaints there. I do prefer the bolt lift and size of the bolt handle on the tikka (bolt handle is pretty small on CA), but the CA doesn’t bother me and it’s a minor concern. Feeding and smoothness of running the bolt on the CA are both very good on mine.

My experience with Christensen….

Bought a Ridgeline in 6.5 Cdmr two years ago. Super accurate (.5 moa) with factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X and my hand loads using the same bullet at similar velocities (2700 fps). No problems at all with fit, finish or function.

Liked that one so much that I bought a second one, a Ridgeline Ti also in 6.5 Cdmr.
Same good fit, finish and function. Accuracy using the above ammo is good too at .75 moa and that’s with only 10 shots down barrel so far.

I’m seriously thinking about getting a Mesa LR in 300 Win Mag next. Overall, I’m very happy with their rifles.

I had a ridgeline 308 it took a while to find a load it liked but in the end it shot well but I also had feeding issues with it with a full mag box. It always would struggle to pick up the first round with 3 or 4 in it. I ended up always running it with the down and 1 in the pipe and it worked fine then.

My dad and I both bought their ranger 22, mine has problems feeding with certain ammo but it shoots extremely well. My dads had issues out of the box feeding and dropping magazines, we disassembled it and figured out the bottom metal was not installed correctly once that was fixed it has worked flawless and shoots great. All that being said I wouldn’t buy another Christensen for the money I feel there are better options that have better quality control.

I bought a 6.5cm Ridgeline for my son this last Christmas. We went out and broke it in with norma match ammo. Was shooting about moa during break in. Have not been out since due to rain and snow. I know I spent about two hours of the day cleaning it. Is is first deer rifle being he can put in next year. I hope it is a good shooter will find out next outing. Want to run some hornady match through it just to compare. I know my 11 year old had fun blasting cans, paper, clays on the hill, ect anywhere from 100yrds to some at 150. Kid didn't miss. And he got a kick out of the binary trigger I had just put on the AR. I will be loading for it and showing him the ropes to do that as well. We annealed all the brass a couple days ago. That was my Christmas present.

Back