Christensen stock replacement

lintond

WKR
Yes it’s a rem 700 action clone so there are a lot of options. I put a Mesa Precision on mine last summer. I like it much better then the stock sporter that comes on the ridgeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Ageeed. So any REM 700 bdl stock options will work?

Should. Make sure the barrel contour will fit. You may need a new bottom metal, action screw length modification, bolt stop clearing and possibly little clearing of material on the ejection port. Additionally you might need to shorten the mag box.

Not worth it when you pay that much already for a rifle imo. Did it with a Mesa. If I were to do it again I’d get a manners with a mini chassis again. The CA bdl fit in the Rem 700 bdl footprint but required a lot of mag box adjustment and some serious action screw shortening on the front. On top of that it didn’t look quite right, Sits pretty deep.

Imo for what your paying for a Christensen arms rifle unless you really like the action your spending near the amount you could just build a gun all said and done, dependent on what you choose for a stock.

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
I had mine in an HS precision stock. I ended up doing a DIY recoil lug bed job. It was pretty simple. If you plan on keeping the barreled action long term, take a serious look at the Alterra Arms stock. It will come with oversized aluminum pillars that you will need a smith to cut them to length and do a full bed job on it. If your main focus is backcountry hunting I believe it is among the best designed stocks on the market.

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I have an order in with McMillan for a game warden. I have a Mesa, but they do have an inletting program for CA’s ‘Model 14’ action. If they don’t have the barrel profile you can email CA and they will send you a pdf of the plans. McMillan can then build a program for it if they don’t already have one. This way I won’t have to do any filing for the bolt release or the bottom metal. I’ve heard standard 700 stocks will work with minor mods, but McMillan customer service was amazing so I went with them and their Christensen specific inletting.

archp625

WKR
Like others said its a Rem 700 clone receiver and any stock in that configuration will more. You will have to file a little down for the bolt release to operate correctly. I will also add that you should bed the stock for better accuarcy.

khuber84

WKR
I know the Mesa Precision altitude can be inlet for CA action, or rem 700. The proof sendero contour should handle a CA carbon. I installed my CA ridgeline 6.5x284 into a stockys vg2 carbon that was inlet for m24/proof sendero/rem700 la and it was easy peasy to glass bed myself.

JDJHNTR

FNG
I’m currently looking to replace mine to save some weight abs have gotten lots of recommendations on the Proof stocks at 19oz.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Mesa Precision altitude will save 8-10oz over the factory stock.
Mine wasn't quite that drastic. The short action Ridgeline stock was right at 32 oz with a front rail, the Mesa came in at 30 oz.

I've used a few Mcmillans with a R700 inlet and a Sendero channel on LA Christensens. The LA Edge filled McMillans run about 27-28 oz. They have all been simple to set up and use with minimal fitting. The Mcmillan Sendero barrel channels are really close to fitting right out of the box and require light sanding for proper fit. The stocks do require additional clearance below the bolt release, but a small flat file works to clear it quickly.

The bottom metal and mag box is different on the Christensens and they don't fit quite like the Remington parts. You'll have to shave material from the bottom of the mag box to keep it from binding between the bottom metal and receiver and you'll most likely have to trim a couple threads off the front action screw. The Christensen bottom metal doesn't fit flush with the stock, so if flush is important to you, you'll need shim washers or bedding to get the fit correct, or you can just use Remington parts to avoid the fuss.

Overall, the mods take just a few minutes and the stock upgrade is absolutely worth it. My LA Ridgelines are ~ 8.5lbs with 28 oz optics mounted (Nightforce NX8 and Vortex AMG)

The Mesa took quite a bit more inletting to get right. The barrel channel wasn't straight and the bottom metal didn't fit at all. After additional inletting, I ended up bedding the bottom metal to get the final fit correct and the barrel channel ended up with excess spacing around the barrel. It works, but I wouldn't do the Mesa again for a Christensen. Actually, I'm not sure my Mesa would have worked well with a straight Remington 700 it was designed for.

Last edited: