Christmas Trees

Does anyone based in WA purchase the tree cutting permit and cut their own Christmas trees? I usually go to the neighborhood tree farm but would really like to hike out somewhere (preferably within a few hours of Everett) with my boys and harvest a few trees.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
tree-cutting-cutting-tree.gif

Reading this, all i could think about was Christmas Vacation!

bsnedeker

WKR
The first year I lived on a property that had some acres and a burn pit I took my x-mas tree out to my burn pit and touched a lighter to it....just barely touched it. In less than 30 seconds there were flames shooting over 50 ft into the air. My neighbors called asked about the fire...mind you, this fire pit was in a depression in a clearing in the middle of some woods. They saw the fire OVER THE TOPS OF THE OAKS!

I will never have a real x-mas tree in my house again. For those who are going to ask: I watered my trees RELIGOUSLY. We would usually get the tree right after t-giving it would drink over a gallon a day. Towards new years it is barely sucking any water. That means tree is dead and drying out.

This sucks because I really like the smell of a real x-mas tree. But once that tree starts to dry out you basically have a bomb sitting in your living room covered in tiny little light bulbs. I have a quality fake tree now and I sleep soundly at night.

Whenever I tell people about this I always get a bunch of very angry responses so, for those people: I DON'T CARE IF YOU PUT A REAL TREE IN YOUR HOUSE! All I'm doing is sharing my experience and my decision.

OP
P
We do a New Years Christmas tree burn every year and I can attest to the size of the flames. I may give into the fake trees but they burn well too. We’ve had jokesters toss old fake trees into the pile. Looked like we were burning tires.

I spent a few days last year hiking around but only really found Spruces but their needles are quite sharp. I was seeing if anyone knows any good areas to find some

The first year I lived on a property that had some acres and a burn pit I took my x-mas tree out to my burn pit and touched a lighter to it....just barely touched it. In less than 30 seconds there were flames shooting over 50 ft into the air. My neighbors called asked about the fire...mind you, this fire pit was in a depression in a clearing in the middle of some woods. They saw the fire OVER THE TOPS OF THE OAKS!

I will never have a real x-mas tree in my house again. For those who are going to ask: I watered my trees RELIGOUSLY. We would usually get the tree right after t-giving it would drink over a gallon a day. Towards new years it is barely sucking any water. That means tree is dead and drying out.

This sucks because I really like the smell of a real x-mas tree. But once that tree starts to dry out you basically have a bomb sitting in your living room covered in tiny little light bulbs. I have a quality fake tree now and I sleep soundly at night.

Whenever I tell people about this I always get a bunch of very angry responses so, for those people: I DON'T CARE IF YOU PUT A REAL TREE IN YOUR HOUSE! All I'm doing is sharing my experience and my decision.
There was a story years ago about 2 kids who were tasked with taking the Christmas tree from their high rise apartment on the elevator. One of them sparked a lighter and it burned all of the oxygen out of the elevator killing them both.

It's serious business when dealing with dead pine trees inside.

bradyhunt

FNG
I'm new to the real Christmas tree game. Looking for good areas to go hunt for a tree, hoping to find the ultimate 8 ft CO blue or green spruce or Doug Fir. Need one that is perfectly full, incredible holiday aroma, not too much sap. Can anyone point me to some good areas? Not asking for your honey holes...

I think I've got the necessary gear, juju brand insulated layering systems, swaro spotter to get up high and glass for promising stands, most expensive snow shoes money can buy, bought a new stihl pro saw with custom exhaust, hiring a couple mules -one to haul in my gear, and one to haul out tree- I'd been debating on a new snowmobile but... maybe in the future if we make a real tree an annual thing.

One thing I'm hung up on is the right cordage/rope for tying the tree to the top of the F350, need something non-abrasive, ultralight, high-tensile strength and with customizable colors would be ideal. Any thoughts?

What am I missing? Thanks for helping a newbie- of course feel free to PM instead of sharing your secrets here.

Last edited:

Oregonboy

WKR
Your screen name is Paul Bunyun and your start a thread about cutting down trees.....fitting.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
We used to go get ours every year as a family and we loved it. It was a ritual.
Now, that being said, I'm not necessarily smarter but I am older and it doesn't make much sense to me to kill a tree for one day. Bought a artificial one years ago.....easy peazy, no mess, takes about 5 minutes to put up and take down.
Yup, getting softer.......I'd rather see a tree live.
Or get a live one and replant it.

Randy

JeffP_Or

WKR
Not in WA but next door...gone a few times. Also did it a kid traveling to NM many times on family weekenders. It was indeed a $5 permit then; they did restrict where you could cut in each given forest [e.g. you're doing the FS a service on their upcoming thinning projects and paying them do it Tom Sawyer]. I enjoyed it and took other friends who had never heard of such a thing to do it as well. Besides the adventure - and usually there was adventure that lived in stories for years* - the fuel and time to get there exceeds the reward and farms are usually 'easier' for city dwellers. But as a family - best of times; wayyyy better than beating down crowds in the high-fence ranches.
I will add, that I prefer natural looking trees - not those shaved hatchery brats corn fed on the high-fence farms; sometimes can be a lot of weeding out the Charlie Brown trees to get a passable one. The larger you can fit in your house, the better chance of a nicer looking/mature kill.... Though the Charlie Brown trees look great in first apartments!
In other words, call your local ranger and go for it!

*Got 'lost' on logging roads and scared the buddies GF. Scared another buds GF being too close to a shooting pit. Got a Nissan sedan stuck in snow. Got a Nissan sedan stuck in mud. Then bought a truck....

SWOHTR

WKR
I wanted to do it but the fire bomb thing gets me. Which sucks because like most, the smell of an evergreen gets me.

I can remember cutting our own as a very young kid. As a not so young kind I remember spending the week or so after Christmas gathering tossed out trees from in front and behind neighborhood houses. Think we got up to 50 or so. Had them all in a pile and one night had whole neighborhood over and put a flame to the pile. It was pretty spectacular! Somewhere there’s a classic VHS tape of the deal.

You couldn’t do that with a noble fir. Type dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk