Chronograph recommendations

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
What chronographs do you use and recommend? FWIW:
  • I am not a long range hunter (maybe in the future), and I don't shoot competitively.
  • I don't reload, but I'd like to know the speed coming out of my barrel. (I guess there is a chance I could reload in the future, especially if the ammo situation doesn't improve.)
  • I am usually a buy once, cry once kind of guy, but I don't know that a $500+ Labradar is necessary for me.
  • Finally, I also haven't paid any attention to chronographs before, so I don't know how the current situation has impacted supply and pricing.
I've read through some of the posts on this topic, and while they were helpful, most that I found were pretty old.

rayporter

WKR
just about the only thing left is the MS.
is works and you dont have to go down range to set it up.
there has been a few MS for sale from guys that bought the LR.
you will like and not be sorry.

Vandy321

WKR
Had a magspeed v3 when I was reloading. Fast to attach and setup, easy functions and display to learn. Was about 350 or so I think.

If I had it to do over, I'd get the magspeed sporter. Its about 1/2 the price, or less. Just make sure it fits your bbl size (the v3 had more adjustment shims). Aside from that, the only think I can tell you give up from the v3 is the faster processor. So instead of getting you fps almost as fast as you can look down, you may need to wait an extra second or two.

Have used a lab radar, seemed nice, but can't see what it gives you if you're not switching rifles frequently and or you want to chrono with a suppressor that the magneetospeed might not fit over

YMMV

aron

WKR
Thanks so much for the replies. I floundered and forgot to mention that I will be shooting with a suppressor and based on my quick read of the Magneetospeed, it won’t fit over the suppressor.
The V3 is suppressor compatible but the sporter version is not per MS. There are reports of people using the sporter version with suppressors if I remember correctly. I have the sporter and happy with it for the price. Downside is that you either need to buy a bayonet type system and run it off a rail on the stock or just understand it changes POI and did also affect the group sizes when mounted on the end of my Tikka sporter barrel.

davsco

WKR
yeah the old school caldwell or others with the 'windows' you shoot thru. cheap and accurate, best value if you are only going to chrono occasionally.

the magnetospeeds are nice in that you can throw them on your rifle and don't need to set up the chrono/tripod in front of your bench (and having to wait for a cold range if you do public ranges). possible POI shift so you might have to zero separately from chronographing. not sure if they work with handguns (prob not).

labradar is really nice. just put it on the table beside you and start shooting. and if your buddy on the next table wants to chrono, just move it to his table. starting from scratch, this would be my pick. easy to make a heavy base from a square foot piece of melamine/mdf.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
These are all excellent suggestions - thanks everyone!
  • I looked pretty hard at the MS V3. I like the concept of being able to just attach to my rifle. My only reasons for hesitation are the POI shift, and the price for the V3 (~$380 - the Labradar is "only" a bit more.... :sneaky:)
  • The Caldwell Premium looks like a good option, at a great price, but despite having sworn off indoor ranges, I could see myself getting annoyed at having to set it up away from me, and not having a bluetooth connection. I do like that it comes with a stand.
I bet that I will sit on my hands and wait for some sort of Black Friday amazing deal and end up w/ the Labradar, then talk myself into reloading as a new way to keep busy....

Vandy321

WKR
The POI shift is there, but unsure why it would matter if the intent is to document velocity/ES/SD. Just take it off after those 10 rounds and go back to shooting steel normal normal.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Does your local range let you rent one? Couple places I've been to will and it's $5-10 for your session.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
The POI shift is there, but unsure why it would matter if the intent is to document velocity/ES/SD. Just take it off after those 10 rounds and go back to shooting steel normal normal.
@Vandy321 your point makes sense. Not having chronographed before, I didn't know if 10 rounds was sufficient, or if it would require. 10 rounds for each of two rifles is only a half a box of factory ammo each, but I'm not flush with 25-06 and 30-06 ammo at the moment. I might have a box (or sometimes two) of several manufacturers for each caliber. If it was just a question of getting more, even at $1+ per round, I'd suck it up (the price difference between the V3 and the Labradar will pay for some ammo!) and just buy more. My thought was to take 3-4 brands and test each - for accuracy and speed - and since I'm usually efficient (another word for lazy), doing all at the same time would be ideal. Especially if I can get my hands on more loads for each caliber.

Probably much ado about nothing. I could test each type for accuracy, then chrono only the one I like the best, and given my normal hunting situations, I could probably get by with fewer than 10 rounds.

@UtahJimmy - great question. The local ranges are all indoors, and my strong preference after a recent TBI is to avoid indoor ranges like the plague.

Thanks guys!