Chugach Sheep Hunts

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I could be wrong with sheep, but all other animals have a mutual fill. For example, I can’t fill a state moose tag and a federal. Same with bou.

Depends on sex of the animal. I can take a bull moose with a state tag then head over to the federal area where they offer a bull and cow tag and I can take a cow.

Clarktar

WKR
I need solicitor to interpret all this. Or I'll just marry in. @SLDMTN still married?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Oh sorry, you’re one of those uptight guys. My bad.
No, but the rules are different from unit to unit. Not that Alaska hunting laws are easy to follow in the first place.

I’ve only been here 6 years, and only hunted 11 & 13 on subsistence tags. There is a crap ton that I don’t know, and will be the first to tell you.

slick

WKR
As far as sheep, even the Fed subsistence users are still regulated to the one ram under both the State or Federal Regulation.

Federal subsistence book page 59. ADFG Regulation page 71

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
See also the "Bag Limit" section in the ADFG regs, page 16, and "Harvest Limit" section of the fed regs, pages 16-17. If you have killed a fed subsistence ram in the state, you may not take another ram under state regs, as there are no areas in the state that have a 2 ram bag limit.

Thinking about this got me wondering, what if someone takes a fed subsistence ewe? Can they take a ram under state regs since the bag limit is one "ram?"

When you guys say "hard park," do you mean everything other than the "preserve" areas?

Or pre-anilca parts of the park vs. post-anilca parts of the park.

My understanding had been that "hard park" meant the pre-anilca parts of the park where zero hunting is allowed.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
I thought there was something like this for Delta Junction residents as well. Maybe near TMU?

See also the "Bag Limit" section in the ADFG regs, page 16, and "Harvest Limit" section of the fed regs, pages 16-17. If you have killed a fed subsistence ram in the state, you may not take another ram under state regs, as there are no areas in the state that have a 2 ram bag limit.

Thinking about this got me wondering, what if someone takes a fed subsistence ewe? Can they take a ram under state regs since the bag limit is one "ram?"

When you guys say "hard park," do you mean everything other than the "preserve" areas?

Or pre-anilca parts of the park vs. post-anilca parts of the park.

My understanding had been that "hard park" meant the pre-anilca parts of the park where zero hunting is allowed.

The general consensus among us old timers up here, is that "Hard Park" refers to the portions of federal parks and monuments that are not under preserve status and therefore, are not open to state hunting regulation (not including of state jurisdiction or state regulatory action). In other words, hard park is where zero state hunting is allowed and only federally qualified subsistence users can hunt/trap.

In reference to your other question about killing a ewe sheep under federal subsistence regulations and then killing a ram under state regulations, that's allowed, because until a ram is killed under the State's definition of one ram per regulatory year, the bag limit hasn't been met until that ram is killed (whether it be killed under federal subsistence regulation or state hunting regulation).

Hope all that makes sense ......

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
The general consensus among us old timers up here, is that "Hard Park" refers to the portions of federal parks and monuments that are not under preserve status and therefore, are not open to state hunting regulation (not including of state jurisdiction or state regulatory action). In other words, hard park is where zero state hunting is allowed and only federally qualified subsistence users can hunt/trap.

In reference to your other question about killing a ewe sheep under federal subsistence regulations and then killing a ram under state regulations, that's allowed, because until a ram is killed under the State's definition of one ram per regulatory year, the bag limit hasn't been met until that ram is killed (whether it be killed under federal subsistence regulation or state hunting regulation).

Hope all that makes sense ......

Yep that makes sense and thanks for the explanation.

What is the common terminology for the pre-ANILCA park lands where no hunting of any sort is allowed?

Yep that makes sense and thanks for the explanation.

What is the common terminology for the pre-ANILCA park lands where no hunting of any sort is allowed?
Back in the day, we all pretty much used to refer to Mount McKinley Park and Katmai Park as "the park" or "those parks".