Chugach Sheep Hunts

AUDGLAC

FNG
Never hunted sheep before but would love to get a chugach ram as it’s in my backyard. Curious which tag you’d like to draw and why, best area, access, scenery, number of sheep, biggest ram. Odds of drawing are low but just curious of what everyone else’s opinions are.

I've been hunting the Chugach Range since 1964. Was raised on a homestead in the heart of the Chugach. Fortunately I have the ability to hunt it and fly over it every year. If it were me, I'd want a Unit 14C tag.

Catchfish

WKR
I think residents there can also get a subsistence tag that removes the full curl requirement.

I second this, but I would not live in Glennallen. Been there, done that. I live south of Glennallen. I can hunt in the Wrangell-St. Elias Nat’l park every year if I choose.
1 moose, 2 caribou per family member, 2 black bear, 1 brown bear, 1 ram, 500 salmon of any species, every year. Pretty great for sportsmen.
There’s also an outcropping where a full curl plus comes and suns itself along the highway.

Residents of the Copper Basin can hunt in the national park, and the eastern edge of the Chugach range is in the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I called and asked the National Park about sheep hunting the hard park on subsistence. There are a lot more hurdles to jump over than just being a local resident, most wouldn’t qualify

I called and asked the National Park about sheep hunting the hard park on subsistence. There are a lot more hurdles to jump over than just being a local resident, most wouldn’t qualify

Scroll down to page 56 for Copper Basin regulations.

Also check out this page on the NPS website: https://www.nps.gov/wrst/learn/management/subsistence-eligibility.htm

Looks pretty cut-and-dried to me. I’d take any information about on hunting NPS lands from an NPS employee with a grain of salt, frankly. Those aren’t jobs that attracts the most hunting-friendly people.

Scroll down to page 56 for Copper Basin regulations.

Also check out this page on the NPS website: https://www.nps.gov/wrst/learn/management/subsistence-eligibility.htm

Looks pretty cut-and-dried to me. I’d take any information about on hunting NPS lands from an NPS employee with a grain of salt, frankly. Those aren’t jobs that attracts the most hunting-friendly people.

Not so easy- here are some of the hoops to jump through listed on the link you provided-

First you need a NPS subsistence permit which is in Addition to just being federally qualified
23A3C174-1761-418B-8003-ABD4A05F8B4D.jpeg

Then on your next link it clarifies you need more to qualify for the NPS certificate-

08843BD4-7798-4269-905B-59352C854C26.jpeg
So just moving there won’t cut it! Need to marry into a family that’s been there and hunted since 1980…..

Not so easy- here are some of the hoops to jump through listed on the link you provided-

First you need a NPS subsistence permit which is in Addition to just being federally qualified
View attachment 406687

Then on your next link it clarifies you need more to qualify for the NPS certificate-

View attachment 406688
So just moving there won’t cut it! Need to marry into a family that’s been there and hunted since 1980…..

Thinking on it, everyone I’ve known who participates in this has
some sort of familial connection to the basin that predates ANILCA.

That said, the NPS website does not specify that a 13.440 permit is required. See below. I interpret this as meaning that if your permanent primary home is within one of the listed communities, you do not need this permit.

d61fcb4dcb23fb8ebdcb7633a19ddfb9.jpg

I wonder if a 13.440 permit is designed to allow a person living outside the Copper Basin to hunt the hard park if their family has a pre-ANILCA history of use.

kaboku68

WKR
I have a 13.44 permit but I presently live in a nonrural community. I legally presently can not hunt hard park. But I will retire in Kenny Lake and it wont be long.

Bambistew

WKR
The way I understand it, is you can either live in the community listed, or get the permit exception and hunt there IF you live in a rural area outside of the NPS designated area.

I called and talked to the park when I was researching my hunt. I was told I could hunt anything that wasn’t private held property, including hard park.

Subsistence permits are easy to get. You just show up and prove your residency for over a year.

Thinking on it, everyone I’ve known who participates in this has
some sort of familial connection to the basin that predates ANILCA.

That said, the NPS website does not specify that a 13.440 permit is required. See below. I interpret this as meaning that if your permanent primary home is within one of the listed communities, you do not need this permit.

d61fcb4dcb23fb8ebdcb7633a19ddfb9.jpg

I wonder if a 13.440 permit is designed to allow a person living outside the Copper Basin to hunt the hard park if their family has a pre-ANILCA history of use.
No. Fed subsistence is tightly regulated.

View attachment 406687

View attachment 406688
This is unit 12.
The area in question is units 13 and 11