Chugach vs. Brooks Range

Lowndes

FNG
I'm in the early stages of planning my first Dall Sheep hunt (most likely for 2022 or 2023). I'm torn between the Brooks Range or Chugach. I've always thought I wanted to go to the Brooks Range but am hearing more and more great things about hunting in the Chugach. Curious if somebody who has experienced both could describe their preference, differences, etc.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not super familiar with Alaska regs, but I believe the Chugach is limited draw with steep odds of drawing. And the brooks range is able to be hunted over the counter.

OP
L

Lowndes

FNG
Well that could make my decision a lot easier to just stick with the Brooks Range then!

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned above, you may wait a lifetime for a Chugach tag. If I was going to spend that kind of cash on a sheep hunt I would likely pick a NWT or Yukon hunt where there are likely no other hunters plus older age class rams.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's only one area in the Chugach that is OTC. That area is walk in only, you'll likely have a 10 day hunt where you can expect to carry your own gear for 65-85 miles. Terrain is rougher than the Brooks but the guides that work it are studs and they'll do whatever it takes to try to get you a great ram. At leasT one of the guideS is a member here (mainly a lurker, you know who you are D). It's one of the hardest sheep hunts anywhere and it needs to be noted that it's also heavily pressured by locals. You will see other hunters.

There are some great Chugach draw tags but like mentioned above you'll be subject to the draw. If you do your homework there are some NR tags with decent odds.

One hundred times over I would focus on a quality outfitter more so than the mountain range they work in. Reading through the sheep forum here you'll find a handful of names repeatedly pop up with stellar reputations.

You are cutting it close to booking a hunting trip in 2023. Most of your quality outfitters are booked for 2021,2022 and 2023 is getting tight. Our outfit is booked solid till 2024. Federal concessioed area on the north east side of the Brooks Range.

I normally hunt the Brooks for my personal hunts, as well as the Alaska Range. But in 2019 I drew a primo Chugach sheep permit. To your original question, the areas are vastly different both weather and terrain. It is not uncommon on a 10 day sheep hunt to walk 50-75 miles in the Brooks. Very little brush and dry river beds allow easy travel between drainages. Still steep. My Chugach hunt was half that distance but 10x as physical.

OP
L

Lowndes

FNG
Curious as to how you narrowed it down to those two mountain ranges? those would be towards the bottom of my list of ranges to hunt in alaska

When I was 13 or 14 I went to dinner with my dad and another guy who just got back from doing a Dall Sheep Hunt in the Brooks Range. After that I told myself I’m going to do that one day. Not that informed but was the start of me being interested in sheep hunting.

The Chugach is even less informed as I just keep hearing about it so as I get closer to pulling the trigger on a sheep hunt wanted to research areas other than the Brooks Range.

What would be the top mountain range on your list?