Wrench

WKR
My 16 GA guild gun is at least that light. It's a bit shorter stocked and I like it for late season hunts. The problem is if you hunt in the early season with a light gun you're going to be bruised up. A 5# gun with no action to eat recoil will get your attention.

In all seriousness the excess money should be spent on a great dog and training said dog. You can kill chucks with a h&r single over a good dog....but you can't kill them with a perazzi without one.

It's tough hunting, but not as bad as many make out.

In a budget class below these suggestions but still 5.5 pounds is the Stevens 555. Started as my chukar gun and now my do everything gun. Can usually be found around $600 new. Shoots great, doesn’t even cross my mind when I fall and drop it.

Wrench

WKR
Yeah, I’ve also been contemplating going lightweight with the AL, looks I like I can pick one up for 1/3 -1/2price of a solid quality double.

I spose like anything you give up something going that light- I would assume it won’t swing as smooth. A double you lose the capacity, but gain the looks and nostalgia. How often do you fellas take 3+ shots at Chukar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I consider myself a good shot and I can't think of more than one time I doubled. It was about-15*f that day.....that's the day of the pic above and why it's on the garage floor and not in the field.

You'll be doing good to kill singles!

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Franchi instinct 20 ga and love it. It’s light weight and fits great. reasonably priced for an over under I believe.

Forks

FNG
Chukar and Huns, and the places they take me, are in my thoughts daily. I have a Dickinson Estate 20 that has never been on a partridge hunt. I owned a Franchi Affinity 12 and 20 that liked to go "click" instead of "bang" sometimes. They have been replaced with a Beretta A400 Xplor 20 that is now a beat to shit tool. I've been happy the past few years because of my decision. It's no different than any other weapon, try as many as you can and pick the one that feels/shoots the best.

Beretta 391 20g. Probably a newer model out now but this one is awesome with the 28 inch barrel. The old 1100 light 20 with 26" is still a great gun. 870s are bullet proof but you've got that.

I never got into the doubles for chukar b/c I like have 3 or more shots - yeah I use the 3rd shot a lot for that late flusher that waits until his buddies fly before he flushes.
If I were going to go o/u I'd go with the Beretta.

Great to see so many 20 GA shooters!

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Not the most experienced but love my 48 AL, think I read recommendations online, probably off this site ha ha. Some of my friends carry OUs and are surprised at the weight of my gun, had it act up once but didn't realize how dirty the mag tube got.

Attachments

• Franchi.jpg
    Franchi.jpg
    732.6 KB · Views: 34

Wassid82

WKR
I bought a Stevens 777 and fell in love with it for a red legged devil gun. light easy stop swing and shots 3 in 20g shells. super fun

S.Clancy

WKR
Franchi Affinity 20's are right at 6lbs. I shoot the hell out of my 12. Plus, i think you could get into one for maybe $600

IdahoElk

WKR
Ended up buying a like new Franchi AL 48
20ga. 28” interchangeable chokes off gunbroker.

Fiochi golden pheasant 3” #6 1 1/4oz should put the hurting to them lil bastages.

I blame Rokslide for not letting me shake the lightweight sickness. Thanks for all the replies fellas

Congrats,you'll love it. Give copper plated shot a try, I seem to drop more farther out with copper,doesn't mushroom like lead when it hits them.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting an Ithaca/SKB 600 in 20 ga for quail and chukar. Great little gun! You can find them on gunbroker right in your price range pretty frequently. I've had my for about 20 years now and wouldn't trade it or sell it period. I'm looking for another in 28ga.

Ended up buying a like new Franchi AL 48
20ga. 28” interchangeable chokes off gunbroker.

Fiochi golden pheasant 3” #6 1 1/4oz should put the hurting to them lil bastages.

I blame Rokslide for not letting me shake the lightweight sickness. Thanks for all the replies fellas

Solid choice. My issue with using a nice double for chukars is the kick in the nuts you get when you look at the stock because it's December and the foot of of snow made it impossible to keep your footing all day in the steep nasty crap those birds love.

rmarshall

WKR
I've looked at those Franchi AL 48's a bunch, they seem sweet!! Good luck and give us a report on how it does on those little devil birds..

Fulker250

FNG
I have a benelli auto in 28 gauge and love it for how light it is and it does great with how fast I can swing it. My next favorite is my 26” barely 20 gauge O/U