Chukar via canoe?

I10duck

FNG
I heard a podcast that talked about a float trip for chukar.
the location was not disclosed.
Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as I have no idea about chukar habitat.

the idea of me and the dog heading down a river and making multiple stops to hunt up some birds sounds awesome.

87TT

WKR
I suppose there are some along the sides of the dammed sections opposite of the roads. current is pretty slow though. Below Hells Canyon dam would be good but I wouldn't take my canoe on it.

BAKPAKR

WKR
A canoe might be a way to hit some sections of the Salmon River opposite the road upstream from Riggins. You could scout any sections you would want to portage on your way up the road.

Good podcast. Thanks for sharing.

Google image Grande Ronde River canyon and that will give you a good idea of the habitat.

If running a canoe you’ll need to be experienced and comfortable in class II rapids and even then you may find yourself in the drink.

The main stem Columbia/Snake and any of their tributaries provide good chucker habitat. Or pretty much the entire inland northwest ;)

My favorite game bird. Not really for hunting as I’m convinced they are out to kill me and my dog but I’ve spent hours watching them thru a scope or binos. They climb cliffs like parakeet soldiers on parade. They’re also pretty talkative so learn their call. Sounds like, well “chuker.”

Best training ever for an Ak sheep hunt. You did catch the part about 1500 to 3000’ climb from the river bank and full on mountaineering boots :)

If you make it a week long trip spend the first day with a fishing guide. Most love cast and blast trips as they get to spend much of the day napping on shore and you’ll get a chance to see the river/rapids.

Good luck and be safe.

Almost forgot. The part of the podcast where he talks about toughing up you pups feet is critical. This is basalt country and that stuff is extremely tough on pups feet. Imagine Hawaii lava flows cut into brick sized chunks and dumped in a two mile deep pile because that is pretty much exactly what it is. Several times I've returned from dinner just to find bloody dog prints all over the motel room. If your pup arrives with tender paws you WILL NOT get very far. Nasty stuff. Make sure you bring a good puppy first aid kit.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hells canyon on the Snake river epitomizes chukar hunting. The Owyhee in SW Idaho/ SE Oregon would be another.
I’ve been hunting Chukar for over fifty years. The first day was for the adventure, every other trip has been for revenge.
Have fun.

Spoken like a true chukar hunter. I loved chasing those little bastards when I lived in Northern California. I hate them!

ODB

WKR
Chukar hunting is the hardest bird hunting and harder than the vast majority of other hunting. You will love/hate/love/hate them. But when you have a good day on them you have REALLY done something. Study their history too, it makes them all the more interesting to hunt.