Cimarron moisture questions

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy! I recently got a used Cimarron off of here, with the plan to use it in Co in October. I love the shelter and the amount of room you have for such a lightweight shelter. This is my first floorless, so this is all new to me. I set the Cimarron up the other day before a rainstorm so I could see how it handled the rain. The previous owner did seam seal it, but when I was inside during the heavy rain I could feel some mist that seemed like it was coming through the material with heavy drops. Is this normal? I checked the ground after the rain stopped and it was pretty wet. It kind of has me worried now, as I would hate to wake up and discover my down bag was soaked. Thanks in advance for the help.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That should not happen but some of it depends on environmental conditions. You can contact us at our info and we will be glad to troubleshoot it
Thanks

colonel00

WKR
How long were you in the tent? Also, did you set up in warm, humid weather and on grass. Sounds like it could possibly be condensation which will collect on the inside and occasionally run down the sides in larger droplets. With rain and wind hitting the tent, it can cause this condensation to "spit" off.

Just to illustrate (cuz I think photos help) here's a recent trip where this thunderstorm was chasing us across a lake up in Alaska. We got to shore and set up camp as the rain started coming down pretty good. There were two of us in the tent and it was pretty warm and muggy with the storm rolling through. The condensation was spitting a bit and occasionally there would be a drop here or there but nothing to really worry about.

A couple notes. First, we use a nest which keeps the bugs away but it also does a decent job of stopping the falling condensation. If not using the nest, I'd still probably have a lightweight bivy. I hate sleeping in them but I could tuck into it if the weather was rough and zip up all of my stuff in it when I left. Second, I'm a big fan of putting extensions on the stake points which allows you to pitch the Cimarron much higher and allow air to flow better. You can't really see it in the second photo but I have the far side pitched down pretty low as that is the direction the wind and rain was coming. The near side is up off the ground a few inches. The extensions also make it really easy to tighten things up when the tent material stretches in the rain or if temps drop significantly.

LFhdCQ9uItMGrcKIYThhlEI0Hs3u6srHzbVnBnvxofblor5Vu3RBYdikA84-nbrfNNzlYRDFVcGpUc-kmdoksGTyJzwB9DdgUi0e0FntigcpuPNs5cYzTT1BFaQQKEBZl_lX02-I3S72FFmNE8GWs2K3ZP0KhnS2t3N6SQrmhpQg75QdFEPHlUgtBaMl2ARrNJNkpcBVe1dedvgHbUtLTiYZAbyAXPoADtc2gljyDkGmh-b0qke1EcNfpE2pqcnGaaNBFRSME45G--bEXIfNgkH9TWdhHzSDt909keJ_GW3Q3eyUQVWO8S1T_Em9YdpKWBukgRSos17Pabh3dG5nlBx7SsLImSHai4O3f3e85xbfT_ospgJk3hf5Sv810sIHET4-LaGi_RcQu2FIfWvyMQdoK_-p2bkYSQmiR9hPxUdQkQTqJ_i4Do_acWr3nJyh6xurPtWfI9syGW65kSVXjlsDcXjBVONXZz0WHPMdVEEEo8zgdLpGxP2OvXb2DPOqbe8fkdTjHeM-YIZiT2i4dQQLMYBstzuA7FVa4mko-eKj-Y6jf7m8ZeViaZTbmly5d53JD-HX7_bMVoAdz55maB1gI5GY59KszdNvH_XqJhcZ-wVE6ghCsGgHPAUnA0g-QUOWqJfviBwsBfffaS9V0KwrjDBM-F_sAkepU1SEHCW4yhc=w1682-h1261-no

civPmCzb5Gkp0AreV_Jf_v6XzwCpN_g4kpWJVtxIkg6MtEaa00vS2QaP07txbhb5YyunENOViD3aUT0jaCZZOAh8FEc6WzZrzP7xW7tueEV3yrVGj2FPp3wZoTH_q_ykdcMEgD_zg8v--1YdcIL0c5FBMyR5mXCS334YiXTXETMyZmhbLxnHuKi954XJEQHVgs0C5KgFq8Nm9Wykarl1k8bmJm9Otrn_6STAeczhZTsJ1XpUiHF_OswFDVsaYvbALOntJNrQNSKi1gbbrfTDtfBUDDeW-AslCXe8QBkDx8_qteYUwVFUMR8F_m0v9zWS9qZQ_uaegD7n_LykU6kr2DK8eXNaOLA0hFOLiYpws6LMn6gbYS3THp73v0Vt6anftM3k5VmA4v-U5gvXEEM9nNVigNje4vPhua96y9jH7K_TtoaUtScwN-h1Ma0OGIpZDVLMtEGwdQZSfnT6PKEXlQMudJYm5zGb9Y5MrCU5FCdq1HM3DfHgOU3vaRX15eCmmlGJPZ81vM7GLJ9hYim4q55FQl-C8lyHp7CjCi9lpqRtuV-OBB6QRbFLzJW8_uwqGWaeie7xvY2iqa7vFCoyLXU4t4piiFNbHi6QbTgtEPTtv97on4t6NcP6M3GbtCsrSzMg-O3PP_YMJSXbTh5wm4BicA2byDWhnvA77svOOkoyr4Q=w1904-h1261-no

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
It was set up in my yard, so yeah it was on grass, and fairly humid before the storm rolled through. I was only in the tent for probably ten minutes. I left it set up in the yard and used extensions, and cracked the doors a few inches so it would dry out. I left it set up last night like that. It was very mild last night with temps in the mid to low 60's over night and low humidity. The tent was empty all last night, I went out a little while ago, and there is still a heavy amount of condensation on the walls. Is this just from being set up on the grass? Kevin, thanks I'll be in touch if I can't figure things out, but it is most likely user error!

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
It was set up in my yard, so yeah it was on grass, and fairly humid before the storm rolled through. I was only in the tent for probably ten minutes. I left it set up in the yard and used extensions, and cracked the doors a few inches so it would dry out. I left it set up last night like that. It was very mild last night with temps in the mid to low 60's over night and low humidity. The tent was empty all last night, I went out a little while ago, and there is still a heavy amount of condensation on the walls. Is this just from being set up on the grass? Kevin, thanks I'll be in touch if I can't figure things out, but it is most likely user error!

I'll bet strongly that it's because of moisture/humidity being released from the grass. It is really amazing how much moisture is held in those little blades.

You should also seam seal it.