Cimarron or Redcliff in Hot Weather with Nest?

blackdawg

WKR
Anyone out there that has tried the Cimarron or Redcliff in hot summer temps with a nest and care to comment on how this setup works for you? Any experience with the bathtub floors of the nests, do they leak? Easily punctured? Is the mesh ultra thin? Condensation an issue with nest? Thickness of materials?

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Bringing this old question back up to see if anyone has experience with the nests and can comment. I am back in the tent market again and trying to pick a lightweight heated four season option that will allow me to deal with cold,wet, buggy and snake infested areas. The choice is screens or nests or both that I need to determine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the SO 4-man and SO Nest. Works great in warmer weather. Just get airflow going through cross ventilation and you’re good to go. I’m also planning on using the nest alone with a trekking pole this summer on a few fishing trips.

The material on mine is the same 30d as my tipi. It’s durable, but I’m using a piece of cut tarp underneath it too. I did seal the seams in the four corners and I’d consider it waterproof.

Any specific question regarding the nest or setup? I’m happy to answer.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Do you leave the nest tied in when you stuff it in your pack? Is it quick to remove or time consuming?

Do you leave the nest tied in when you stuff it in your pack? Is it quick to remove or time consuming?

No, I don’t leave it tied in. I know they have a video showing that, but I don’t. I stake the four corners separately on mine. Then I have a piece of paracord that I tie into a prusik knot to the top of the pole and tie off the nest to that. The prusik knot allows you to slide it up and down the pole to raise of lower the nest - then holds tight when there’s tension on it. You can also attach a makeshift clothesline to it and drive a stake into the ground on the other end to dry out clothes or even boots.

I don’t think it would hurt the tipi or best to leave it tied in, but I don’t want to risk it.

No, I don’t leave it tied in. I know they have a video showing that, but I don’t. I stake the four corners separately on mine. Then I have a piece of paracord that I tie into a prusik knot to the top of the pole and tie off the nest to that. The prusik knot allows you to slide it up and down the pole to raise of lower the nest - then holds tight when there’s tension on it. You can also attach a makeshift clothesline to it and drive a stake into the ground on the other end to dry out clothes or even boots.

I don’t think it would hurt the tipi or best to leave it tied in, but I don’t want to risk it.

Also, when you get into the larger tipi’s, 6-person and larger, the half nest is shaped like a half tipi. My 4-man has to use the LBO Nest, so it only has four corners - it wouldn’t tie into the tipi like the others do. Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

I’ve used the 4 man in 90 plus degree weather last summer. Worked awesome. Just open up both doors to get a good cross breeze going and you’ll be fine. If you’re using the nest you could also put linelocs on the tie down points and pitch the tent higher off the ground so you get a good breeze that way.