Cimarron pitching trick

rclouse79

WKR
I have been experiencing some mild frustrations achieving the perfect pitch on my cimarron without pulling and replacing stakes countless time. I adapted a trick I saw a guy use for an 8 man tipi on youtube. Based on the published diagrams I calculated the length from the center pole to the four corners they tell you to stake first to be 6' 4.25". I tied a loop in a piece of paracord and cut the other end at that length. Before setup, I place a stake where I want the center to be and put the loop over it. Then I make sure the cord is tight and touching the corner to be staked each time I stake it down. There is only one spot where the corner and the tight cord will line up. After staking the four corners you know exactly where to put the center pole. I set it up twice, and both times it ended up being perfect and faster than my previous fumbling around. I am sure most guys have no problem setting it up using the eyeball method. For those who are special and particular like myself, there you go.

Last edited:

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so I’m definitely a little slow, so I have a quick question.
When you have the paracord looped onto the stake and you’re establishing the first corner are you in the shelter or are you doing this without and just marking corners?
I always struggle with mine and want to try this.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Ok, so I’m definitely a little slow, so I have a quick question.
When you have the paracord looped onto the stake and you’re establishing the first corner are you in the shelter or are you doing this without and just marking corners?
I always struggle with mine and want to try this.
Lay the tent out in the general orientation you want it with the stake in the center. Make sure the first corner is one cord length away from the center peg and stake it. The other corners will be set based on the first corner. When you go to do the second corner you will see that there is a natural point where the side is taught, but not too tight while being one cord length away from the center. If you were to move the corner either way the center cord would not reach or would have slack. I think it really helped me with the last stake. You can pull the last corner so it is evenly tensioned between the other corners and then you know exactly how far to move it in based on the length of the stretched cord. Hope this helps.

Reactions: WRM

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tentipi sends a center pole locator with a string marked for correct staking location for their tipis. The fabric panel has lines on it at the center pole location for you to line up the stake points. Seems that domestic manufacturers could learn a thing or two from this. Saw a review on YouTube for their 2P setup from the Outdoor Gear guru dude that shows it. Simple and effective

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk