Cimarron pole options?

Looking for pole recommendations for a Cimarron. No trekking poles, and I'm aware of the SO carbon one and the $35 aluminum REI one, but I'm curious if there are any other good options.. anything from Amazon?

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the $35 REI aluminum pole for mine.

I used a pipe cutter to lop off the tarp tip and about 4” off tube, then found a plastic cap that matched the dimensions to finish it off. It can’t be more than a few ounces heavier than a carbon pole now.

There was a lengthy thread here recently about a carbon pole snapping in the wind. However rare that may be, I’m just more comfortable with aluminum. I also don’t like the idea of inadvertently pushing a stove up next to carbon fiber.

If the time comes where I’m really battening down for a storm, I’ll lash the pole with an arrow, trekking pole, stick, etc.

Attachments

• 4B9802B2-C61D-4928-B4C1-A4F704493E29.jpeg
    4B9802B2-C61D-4928-B4C1-A4F704493E29.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 16

WRM

WKR
There was a lengthy thread here recently about a carbon pole snapping in the wind

May have been mine. I watched the destruction from a distance. It didn't snap--more exploded. And, it was not just "wind". I can assure you the REI pole would have fared no better--I have it as well.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the REI aluminum one and it seems to work fine...I'm curious why you cut off the tarp tip?

I guess in my head the tip was designed for tarp grommets where the forces would be around the base of the silver tip. Having all of the forces applied to the end just seemed like a lot of leverage it wasn’t designed for and a potential failure point. Also thought it could knock a few ounces off.

But to be completely honest I was just bored one night and felt like tinkering.