Cimarron questions

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys Im in the market for a shelter. My hunting partner has a Stone Glacier skyscraper so I’m leaning more towards a floor less shelter to give us some flexibility on what we use. Obviously as the title states I’m looking at the Cimarron And had a couple questions for people that run them?

1. Does SO still offer the DCF ultralight Cimarron (if so any idea on price)
2. IF no DCF option available I was looking at getting the lite version with no screen. Im planning on getting a Borah gear ultralight bivy to run inside of it. Anyone running something similar to this? Any feedback on this Setup would be great.
3. As far as a center pole I was looking at the Ruta Locora Carbon poles? Anyone running these? Are they worth it or should I just go with the SO carbon pole. If you are running the Ruta pole what diameter do you have.

This will be my first shelter so any helpful input for first time floorless user would be great. Thanks guys

rclouse79

WKR
My buddy has the lite and I have the regular. We set them both up on a trip and he said he wished he went with the regular. Two doors are nice and I think the stove jack placement is different which he liked better. I remember looking and both before I bought mine and the weight difference seemed pretty insignificant to me. Either way, the cimmaron is a great shelter. We had a cool wet spring and firing up the stove put a smile on my face every time.

Poser

WKR
I have a Cimarron regular that I bought off the classifieds. I think for a tent that size for 2 or more people, 2 door are warranted. The DCF would be sweet but you should know that with any hot tent, you’ll get holes from sparks. I have about 30 pieces of tape on mine (8 foot pipe) to patch the micro holes from burns. So, you should accept that reality if you go with the high end fabric.

I had additional tie-in anchors sewn into my Cimarron as the sag drove me absolutely nuts. The DCF would solve that stretch and sag issue. If not, you’ll need a anchor on every vertical seam IMO, else they sag east up too much of your interior real estate.

I have been using a MLD bivy sack myself the last 2 years. I like the versatility, it keeps me all contained as I toss and turn, it keeps my sleep system clean when the ground is dry and dusty, I can forego the shelter if need be + it’s an extra layer of rodent protection while I’m away.

I went back and forth on whether to get the lite version or the regular. I ended up getting the regular model. After using it with a buddy this spring I echo what others have said, it is very convenient to have the extra door so that we aren't having to crawl over each other. If I had to do it over again I would definitely get the regular model again.

I added line locks to mine so that if it's not too windy I can pitch it off of the ground a bit which helps with condensation significantly. It also makes it easy to tighten if you get some sag.

I use a borah bivy in mine and with my silex. I have been very happy with that setup. Even if insects aren't bad and I don't need to sleep with it closed up I like being able to zip up my sleep system while I'm out during the day so that no critters can get inside of it.

*zap*

WKR
regular with line locks for me also. Plus I have a one and two person MLD nests and screens on the Cimarron doors..

Last edited:

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Regular with line locks for me too. I run a Borah bivy (also in my Silex) and really like the setup. It keeps the bed burrito together and bugs out in warm conditions. In wet conditions it keeps the condensation off my bag. And when I'm on the move, it's simple to roll up the bed and stuff it in my bag.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i really like my cimarron, ill echo what is said above about the door, i enjoy haveing the 2. havent used the stove much in mine yet, i just run a cheap REI aluminum center pole in mine.

OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Ill look more into getting a regular with 2 doors. Ive recently gone down the lightweight wormhole and appreciate the info. Did you guys that are running line locks on the regular cimmaron, have SO install these or did you do it yourself?

WRM

WKR
As far as a center pole I was looking at the Ruta Locora Carbon poles? Anyone running these?

I have them for mine. First outing a micro downburst shattered the bottom section of the pole and also did some damage to the Cimarron. Freak weather event and not the fault of the equipment.

Sent pole back to Ruta and he fixed it and I had an "overbuilt" model made too.

He makes good stuff. Oh, and SO replaced the shelter as a warranty item. So they stood up big time on their product.

OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
I have them for mine. First outing a micro downburst shattered the bottom section of the pole and also did some damage to the Cimarron. Freak weather event and not the fault of the equipment.

Sent pole back to Ruta and he fixed it and I had an "overbuilt" model made too.

He makes good stuff. Oh, and SO replaced the shelter as a warranty item. So they stood up big time on their product.
What was the pole size that broke and what size is the “overbuilt” one?

WRM

WKR
What was the pole size that broke and what size is the “overbuilt” one?

Broken one was a 710. The other was a step or two up size wise but I don't see any info in my emails of exactly which size it was.

The 710, I'm sure, would have been fine for all normal uses. I watched the shelter self destruct from a couple miles away. If the pole hadn't broken, the shelter probably would have been badly damaged. That would have been no bueno as I ended up needing it pretty badly when I got back to camp.

Oh and get his titanium "dish" for the bottom of the pole. Wind would drive my pole into the ground like a piledriver and that solved it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your in an area with pole options for cutting would simply cut one sturdier and can hangs things off it…as to the door I run 50/50 with someone or alone I like lighter and setup bags on either of pole so not an issue…if your with someone who pees all night two doors may be better🤣 poser nailed it you will get spark holes even with a longer stove pipe have to accept it….as to dcf I really enjoy it only downside is takes up a little more room in pack…either option of cimarron is a winner🤙 Extra guy outs are nice and I added some additions on the interior for hanging things to dry around the pole. had the lite before the dcf would I buy again likely but is expensive and every time you get spark hole you yell🤣 have run many shelters over the last decade can’t see me leaving the cimarron…hot coffee fire crackling stream running and 15 degrees memories👊

Attachments

• 75B498CD-0F1A-4EA1-A2EA-A2D4CB91C79D.jpeg
    75B498CD-0F1A-4EA1-A2EA-A2D4CB91C79D.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 124
  • FF5B0C1A-9D84-424C-97AE-8D7DA7B117B7.jpeg
    FF5B0C1A-9D84-424C-97AE-8D7DA7B117B7.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 7EC2FFB9-A2E8-4B73-8F93-390F1093AFF2.jpeg
    7EC2FFB9-A2E8-4B73-8F93-390F1093AFF2.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 87F1F3A7-0F39-495B-B76D-0DFBDF326BC8.jpeg
    87F1F3A7-0F39-495B-B76D-0DFBDF326BC8.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 121
  • BED28EC9-5139-4A86-8B38-295263B93734.jpeg
    BED28EC9-5139-4A86-8B38-295263B93734.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 8083F9DA-AEF4-47AE-A319-932299E2AE35.jpeg
    8083F9DA-AEF4-47AE-A319-932299E2AE35.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 118
  • A2B6A107-4DD7-4A07-8D5B-394BD0FA17C4.jpeg
    A2B6A107-4DD7-4A07-8D5B-394BD0FA17C4.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 114
  • F277546E-14F3-45FB-8107-4E5AE02FB8D6.jpeg
    F277546E-14F3-45FB-8107-4E5AE02FB8D6.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 126E2278-E78F-45D9-B1B2-477817D8DCCE.jpeg
    126E2278-E78F-45D9-B1B2-477817D8DCCE.jpeg
    555.2 KB · Views: 124

WRM

WKR
if your with someone who pees all night two doors may be better

You need to get them a Bai bottle or similar (my favorite now is a Planter's peanut jar). Once I get in, I don't come out until next morning. Otherwise, I'd spend more time out of my bag than in it.

I like the regular two door for a couple reasons. But mostly because I put cots in it for car camping. They fit best perpendicular to the doors and close to the center pole. So me and a buddy have our own door and full size cots to sleep on...talk about comfy.

I wish my Cimarron had the direct-to-loop (?) line locks like they have in that video. Tying them on to the loops isn't ideal. And if you pitch it properly (and the line locks help a lot with that I think), you shouldn't have any sag issues unless it gets wet. That's the dyneema benefit.

I've not had great luck with the Borah bivy. Just sliding around in it and had condensation issues inside it. Not giving up on it yet but definitely disappointed so far. Thinking about getting a silex for early bug-season trips and will definitely get a nest.

Attachments

• IMG_7929.JPG
    IMG_7929.JPG
    415.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8483.JPG
    IMG_8483.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 77

dphifer

FNG
Ross, your pictures alone make me want a Cimmaron. Floorless is something I haven’t considered and I must admit I am hesitant. But you make it look awesome.

slatty

WKR
I love my cimarron. It's super versatile. It's a solo palace without much weight penalty. Throw in a stove for 1-2 people. I also have a half nest for family camping.
I use a borah bivy and that's a great setup.
I have the silnylon. I've never come close to justifying DCF as the cost to weight savings is too much for me. Love mine for what it is.
I would also say that seek outside customer service is excellent. I made a hole in mine once and sent it to them and they fixed it for basically the shipping cost and a few token dollars.
It's a great shelter.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I'll pet the cat backwards here. I've got a Redcliff Light, and I've never missed a 2nd door. I think I just never got used to using 2 doors in any of the tents I've used over the years, even though some did have 2. Often I wind up pitching a tent up against a bush or something (usually for shelter from wind), so the second door isn't accessible anyway.

I do like the built-in cord locks the Light comes with.

I've also got an older GoLite SL5. I've been thinking about a Ruta Locura pole for it for quite a while, but I swear I've never seen them in stock. How do you actually buy from him?

I got the Seek carbon pole for my Redcliff (pretty sure it's too short for the SL5). To be honest, it's not my favorite. Maybe I'm just used to the more traditional ferrules and shock cord design?

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I'll pet the cat backwards here. I've got a Redcliff Light, and I've never missed a 2nd door. I think I just never got used to using 2 doors in any of the tents I've used over the years, even though some did have 2. Often I wind up pitching a tent up against a bush or something (usually for shelter from wind), so the second door isn't accessible anyway.

I do like the built-in cord locks the Light comes with.

I've also got an older GoLite SL5. I've been thinking about a Ruta Locura pole for it for quite a while, but I swear I've never seen them in stock. How do you actually buy from him?

I got the Seek carbon pole for my Redcliff (pretty sure it's too short for the SL5). To be honest, it's not my favorite. Maybe I'm just used to the more traditional ferrules and shock cord design?
JR, how do you like your Redcliff vs your SL5? I have run an SL5 for 10+ years and it's about worn out. Debating between Cimmeron and Redcliff as a replacement...