Cimarron stove jack upgrade by Seek Outside ***Updated 11/30/20***

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cimarron stove jack upgrade by Seek Outside. ***Update 11/30/20*** Full Review Here

IMG_3688.jpg
I have been a solo hunter for the majority of time I have hunted usually going the minimalist route. When I actually use a shelter in the snow or rain, I’ve used the fly creek UL light weight and small. When My oldest daughter turned 10, I started to take her hunting. Several times we go back to camp cold and wet. While I’m used to it, she toughed it out but usually never dries out, I want to her to enjoy the experience. We went on a hunt with Ryan and Jordan last year and Ryan brought his Cimarron with a stove. While we dried out next to the stove Annabelle told me she wanted one and I saw how enjoyable it was to sit in a warm tent verse hurry up and get into the bags. Now this year my newest hunting buddy is my 10-year-old daughter Emmaline ,I had to get a bigger tent anyways . So, when Robby asked me if I wanted to do the review on the stove Jack upgrade from Seek Outside on a Cimarron he already had, I jumped at the chance.

IMG_3733.jpg
Upon arrival of the unit I weighed it at just over 2 pounds 8 ounces. The stove I weighed at 1 pound 12 ounces. Making it just over a 4-pound set up. The stove jack upgrade looks like it belongs and if I didn't know it was an addition I would probably never have noticed. I have to look at it closely to tell it is added . As soon as I got it, I set it up or at least tried without reading or looking up directions. The tent was very easy however scratched my head for a few on the stove until I watched a video. Turned out It is fairly simple to set up should take less than 5 minutes. Robby told me this is a two man tent. From what i'm used to this is a 4-man tent is very roomy. Going floor-less may take a bit to get used too but allows a lot more to be done when while inside. I plan on using it for several scouting and hunting trips in the very near future. It was a bit too hot recently to even think about a stove. My initial thought this is going to be huge in helping when I take my kids and will be huge on some of my late season hunts. And just allow for a more enjoyable experience. I will post updates along the way and do a full review.IMG_3735.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3688.jpg
    IMG_3688.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 95

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby told me this is a two man tent. From what i'm used to this is a 4-man tent is very roomy.

Are you saying I’m fat?

Looks good. I wanna see some pics when you get the stove in there (show us the stove too) and the bags laid out.

Thanks for taking this on. I loved that tent but longed for heat in it on a few occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not that your fat Robby . You could stuff a dozen Carr's into a can of sardines. I grew up in family with 8 brothers and 2 sisters. A good portion of growing up we lived in a one room cabin also a lot of the time growing up we had a vehicle with 6 seats get the pic.
Here are some staged picks we me and 2 of my daughters scouting stuff. I had pictures from a scouting trip earlier but lost them all when I broke my phone latter on the same scouting trip. Expect to see some real picks shortly. There is a picture of my daughters sleeping bags on one side . In reality they will have none of that I will be over there on the outside Hahahaha.IMG-3758.jpgIMG-3757.jpg
Tent setup is very easy and quick provided the ground you are on allows for stakes. Basically just stake the 4 corners not quite tight ( have both entrances closed when you do this.Then put the pole in six feet works great. then add stakes to all the other stake loops.
IMG_0754.jpg
Attaching 2 tent poles together works well however if available I found finding a pole about 6 feet in length works well as well . You might want a bit more distance between the pole and the stove then I showed in the picture which is easy to do.
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg20200829_144141.jpgIMG-3757.jpg
IMG-3765.jpg
IMG-3759.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that actually ended up with more room than what I imagined. I really was thinking one guy with the stove but I see how you can do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not following exactly what the upgraded stove jack entails. What makes it different from the previous stove jack you could get on installed on a Cimarron?

-- Scott

sndmn11

WKR
I'm not following exactly what the upgraded stove jack entails. What makes it different from the previous stove jack you could get on installed on a Cimarron?

-- Scott

They took an existing and used tent, sent it back to Seek Outside for a standard stove jack to be added, and that is about it. The "upgrade" is that a formerly stove jack-less tent now has one.

Robby told me this is a two man tent. From what i'm used to this is a 4-man tent is very roomy.

Dude tell me about it. I got one and I’m like holy crap there’s so much room for activities! I’m also used to the Fly Creek/Copper spur style UL tents where a two man tent means you’re sleeping with bags touching... this thing is a palace. I bet the Redcliff is like a freakin mansion in the wilderness.

Voyageur

WKR

Based on your experiences, Jim, would two adults and hunting gear fit inside, or would the gear need to be kept outside? I'm referring to 50# of gear that would be brought on a fly-in Super Cub hunt.
Thanks.

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks for the additional pictures, Jim. It looks roomier than I had pictured in my mind.

Voyageur

WKR
@Jim Carr what size stove is shown in the pictures? From what I've learned in my research I'm guessing it is a SO size medium or large.
Thanks.

Lawnboi

WKR
Little late to the party but just wanted to give another shoutout to seek outside.

I had a stove back put in my cimmaron a year ago or was it two. Smoothest transaction I have ever had with a customer service entity. Great communication the whole time did not leave me wondering where my tent was.

Termite

FNG
Thanks for all the pictures guys. Makes me want to pack up and go enjoy a nice cold night away from cell service and the internet!

Dude tell me about it. I got one and I’m like holy crap there’s so much room for activities! I’m also used to the Fly Creek/Copper spur style UL tents where a two man tent means you’re sleeping with bags touching... this thing is a palace. I bet the Redcliff is like a freakin mansion in the wilderness.
It definitely is. I also often sleep in a Copper Spur. Here's my Redcliff with a double layer of queen size temper foam mattress pads. Crazy huge.

20201016_161305.jpg20201016_174415.jpg

I have the same setup, but with a lite outdoors stove. It has literally changed the way I hunt, especially second and third elk seasons in Colorado!!!

Jimmn

FNG
I don't usually comment on articles, but I wanted to toss in my two cents on Seek Outside. I've had the Cimarron with the small stove setup for about five years now and friggen love it. The tent and stove have proven to be very durable despite the light overall weight. Seek Outside's customer service was also outstanding. I had ordered the tent with a stove jack, but upon receiving the tent, it lacked the stove jack. I called Seek Outside and after explaining that I had a hunting trip planned in a weeks time, they overnighted me a new tent with a stove jack before I had even sent the other one back. The only improvements I would recommend are additional guy out points, which are available, but I didn't order.

CO-AJ

WKR
Yes, ive only had my SO Cimarron for a year but it is the best out there. I am still working on a stove, but the tipi with the nest and the CF center pole are the best. Tons of room, I can almost stand up to dress, and if its raining I set up my 1lb camp chair and drink coffee while watching the rain. Everyone else in camp is laying down in their tent. I can't say enough great things about my SO.