Cipher for Waterfowl?

novcie870

WKR
Anybody using FL Cipher or Fusion for waterfowl? I'm going to make the switch this year from traditional waterfowl clothing, to using my big game kit for all my hunting (upland, big game, waterfowl), with the exception of my waterfowl rain shell. I would love to hear from those who have used cipher or fusion in the duck blind and how it looks in the reeds?

Thanks so much!

I use cipher for both duck hunting from blinds/reeds and goose hunting from foot pits or layouts (which really doesn’t make a difference what you wear from the neck down). I haven’t had any issues with birds flaring. Works great and it saves money from having to buy special waterfowl clothing on top of big game. My late season layers are usually furnace top and bottoms, Klamath hoodie over that, chamberlain or uncompahgre then either the catalyst jacket or SEAK jacket/pants depending on weather and if I am wearing waders or not. The SEAK really cuts the wind and I haven’t gotten wet in straight downpours for 4+ hours setting in open top blinds. I wouldn’t hesitate on making the switch. I think fusion is a little too dark for my areas though. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
novcie870

novcie870

WKR
That helps a ton! I was thinking of using the same exact set up! I already have everything you mentioned. It just kills me seeing it in my tubs for 2-3 months while Im out chasing birds. I really appreciate the feedback!

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
When I used to guide waterfowl parties, I had clients show up in all manner of clothing (even had a party show up in blaze orange ski-masks). As long as you have decent concealment, the main thing to be cautious of is movement. Waterfowl will pick out unnatural movement and flare.

Most of the veteran waterfowlers I grew up learning from never wore camo, just their carhartt overalls or HH raingear.

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I use cipher all duck season. I don’t hunt in blinds just natural cover(timber, willows, standing corn, buck brush, etc). I can’t say it works better than any other camouflage or no camouflage, I believe movement flares more birds and not wearing camo. That said, I think it’s a good match for a variety of cover.

CutBait

FNG
I purchased the FL Uncompahgre puffy jacket in Cipher late last year on sale. I think the camo will work just fine in a wetland and/or field situation. I hope to use the jacket for duck hunting this fall, as its light weight but warm. My only concern is that it might get beat up or torn in the brush and swamp.

Nonetheless, the jacket fits me great and its warm, so its already outperforming all of my other "waterfowl specific" duck hunting outerwear.

OP
novcie870

novcie870

WKR
I purchased the FL Uncompahgre puffy jacket in Cipher late last year on sale. I think the camo will work just fine in a wetland and/or field situation. I hope to use the jacket for duck hunting this fall, as its light weight but warm. My only concern is that it might get beat up or torn in the brush and swamp.

Nonetheless, the jacket fits me great and its warm, so its already outperforming all of my other "waterfowl specific" duck hunting outerwear.

I hear ya on the performance. I went ahead and added a few pieces and am going to go for it. The great waterfowl-first lite experiment is underway.

I will post some pics from the field as the season progresses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk