Claims of a 20 mile packout

Beendare

WKR
Is this guy the reincarnate of my grandfather that died many years ago?

The guy who had to walk 5 miles each way to school in the snow uphill both ways? Grin

This guy posting is a piece of work.

I've done long loops in the backcountry towing a horse/mule with a packsaddle and I think the furthest we ever got from a TH was 9 miles.....even then we were less than that from another access point. I think there are only 2 spot in the US where a guy can get further than 10 miles from a road. The Bob Marshall is the only spot a guy can get 20 miles from a road that I know of- is this guy giving away his spot? Grin

BTW, those long treks of mine were with the horse/mule doing most of the packing.

_____

Last edited:

Jellymon

FNG
I packed a bull out 22 miles myself, once. Took about 8 rough hours.

The year was 1998, back when I still rifle hunted. I pulled up to the trailhead and parked my Jeep blocking in a Subaru that was already there because that was my spot I had been hunting and scouting my whole life, so they didn’t belong there anyway. I pulled out my 6.5 creedbadassmore topped with my 4-77x80 nightforce tacticoolbro scope and loaded some of my handloads in which are about 8 grains over the max in the hornady book for more range, about 3900 yards. I had been hitting the 18” steel plate at 300 from sandbags at the range so I’m good out to the 3900 yards. None of the cases were reusable though, not sure what that’s about.

After the rifle was loaded I pulled out my kifaru pack. With all the essentials, Mt Ops supplements, the lead sled with 35lb weight, it weighed just a hair over 93lbs. I’ll tell ya that kifaru pack makes 93lbs feel like 12.

I hiked in on foot and passed a few groups on horses that were headed in as well. Good thing I trained the last month and a half or else they would have beaten me back there. After a few hours I passed mile #21 and knew that now was the time to start hunting. I noticed a ridge next to me that had a great glassing spot about 7900ft of elevation away and a half hour later I was in position.

After glassing for 36 hours straight, which I wouldn’t have been able to do without my $9400 10x44 sworos, I caught a glimpse of movement about 3899yds away. I counted 7 points per side with a 1 inch spur off of point #7 on the right side. I strapped my rifle into the lead sled, dialed to 3400yds because of the elevation difference, and let it fly. The 130 grain Berger vld hit the bull right behind the shoulder, got a full pass through, and the bull dropped in its tracks!

10 minutes later I was taking pics of my 1300lb bull which field measured 477. Not quite as big as I wanted but it would do. I used the gutless method, pulled off the head and cape and strapped it to my pack along with two quarters and the backstraps. Again, that kifaru pack made 400lbs feel like 30, extremely comfortable.

Two hours later I was back at the jeep. The Subaru hippies were there looking triggered but In the presence of actual testosterone decided to leave. After i got back to the rest of the meat it started to snow. By the time my pack was loaded there was about 3 1/2 feet on the ground. Didn’t affect me much due to the fact I had on my Sitka gaiters. My feet and legs sliced through the snow like butter and I got back to the jeep in the same amount of time as before.

So yes, it can be done with the right mindset, and the right gear, and I guarantee somebody won’t read this entire thing and will try to tell me how I’m wrong.🤣

Is this guy the reincarnate of my grandfather that died many years ago?

The guy who had to walk 5 miles each way to school in the snow uphill both ways? Grin

This guy posting is a piece of work.

I've done long loops in the backcountry towing a horse/mule with a packsaddle and I think the furthest we ever got from a TH was 9 miles.....even then we were less than that from another access point. I think there are only 2 spot in the US where a guy can get further than 10 miles from a road. The Bob Marshall is the only spot a guy can get 20 miles from a road that I know of- is this guy giving away his spot? Grin

BTW, those long treks of mine were with the horse/mule doing most of the packing.

_____
A bull is minimum 4 man-trips, probably more with the head and all. I haven’t been to the Bob Marshall but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it’s not gentle rolling hills. That’s a minimum of 160 miles, solo, half of which would be heavily laden. There’s no way to do 40 miles in a day in those conditions so each way is an overnight at minimum. If you could do this day and day out you’re looking at over a week.

A bull is minimum 4 man-trips, probably more with the head and all. I haven’t been to the Bob Marshall but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it’s not gentle rolling hills. That’s a minimum of 160 miles, solo, half of which would be heavily laden. There’s no way to do 40 miles in a day in those conditions so each way is an overnight at minimum. If you could do this day and day out you’re looking at over a week.

A bull isn't 4 loads minimum. I've seen a bull packed out in 1 trip. I've seen bulls cut in half like a deer and packed out in 2 trips. Not 20 miles obviously. But the solo bull was about 3.5 miles.
I packed some loads before that most hunters would call bs on. So I won't call the guy a liar. I will say I doubt it happens very often.

The year was 1998, back when I still rifle hunted. I pulled up to the trailhead and parked my Jeep blocking in a Subaru that was already there because that was my spot I had been hunting and scouting my whole life, so they didn’t belong there anyway. I pulled out my 6.5 creedbadassmore topped with my 4-77x80 nightforce tacticoolbro scope and loaded some of my handloads in which are about 8 grains over the max in the hornady book for more range, about 3900 yards. I had been hitting the 18” steel plate at 300 from sandbags at the range so I’m good out to the 3900 yards. None of the cases were reusable though, not sure what that’s about.

After the rifle was loaded I pulled out my kifaru pack. With all the essentials, Mt Ops supplements, the lead sled with 35lb weight, it weighed just a hair over 93lbs. I’ll tell ya that kifaru pack makes 93lbs feel like 12.

I hiked in on foot and passed a few groups on horses that were headed in as well. Good thing I trained the last month and a half or else they would have beaten me back there. After a few hours I passed mile #21 and knew that now was the time to start hunting. I noticed a ridge next to me that had a great glassing spot about 7900ft of elevation away and a half hour later I was in position.

After glassing for 36 hours straight, which I wouldn’t have been able to do without my $9400 10x44 sworos, I caught a glimpse of movement about 3899yds away. I counted 7 points per side with a 1 inch spur off of point #7 on the right side. I strapped my rifle into the lead sled, dialed to 3400yds because of the elevation difference, and let it fly. The 130 grain Berger vld hit the bull right behind the shoulder, got a full pass through, and the bull dropped in its tracks!

10 minutes later I was taking pics of my 1300lb bull which field measured 477. Not quite as big as I wanted but it would do. I used the gutless method, pulled off the head and cape and strapped it to my pack along with two quarters and the backstraps. Again, that kifaru pack made 400lbs feel like 30, extremely comfortable.

Two hours later I was back at the jeep. The Subaru hippies were there looking triggered but In the presence of actual testosterone decided to leave. After i got back to the rest of the meat it started to snow. By the time my pack was loaded there was about 3 1/2 feet on the ground. Didn’t affect me much due to the fact I had on my Sitka gaiters. My feet and legs sliced through the snow like butter and I got back to the jeep in the same amount of time as before.

So yes, it can be done with the right mindset, and the right gear, and I guarantee somebody won’t read this entire thing and will try to tell me how I’m wrong.🤣

Dude, I am calling you out; you are soooooo WRONG!
It was me in the subaru, we scored bigtime, with a real mature bull. but admittedly, compared to your's it was a dink. We watched you go back in through our big glass swaro and the snow. With those big size 15 skis you have it seemed like it only took you a 1/2 hour to make it back to the trail head. We were so disgusted with how easy you made it look that I stomped on the pedal, spun out the tires of the asymmetrical all wheel drive lifted subaru spraying mud all over you as I maneuvered past your old beat-up hick-a-billy rig that was "blocking us in" and sped of, still in total disgust as in the rearview, the bases of your bull looked to be 12 inches thick.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
A bull isn't 4 loads minimum. I've seen a bull packed out in 1 trip. I've seen bulls cut in half like a deer and packed out in 2 trips. Not 20 miles obviously. But the solo bull was about 3.5 miles.
I packed some loads before that most hunters would call bs on. So I won't call the guy a liar. I will say I doubt it happens very often.

I have packed half an elk twice before for a couple of miles of mostly downhill trail. It was stupid heavy, but doable. Otherwise, I’ve always done it in 2-3 trips over off piste terrain. The thing about claiming 20 miles is, in elk country, you are talking about thru hiking mileage. That’s the mileage someone hiking the CDT or the CO Trail covers in a day while in mountainous terrain and that’s on trail. If you’re claiming to do “thru hiker” mileage with 100+ lbs on your back every day for 4 days in a row, I’m calling bullshit. I have no doubt that some people are capable of doing this feat, but no smart hunter would choose to do it.

Thing is, this guy is obviously full of shit. I would bet my entire savings account in a time of great civil unrest that he has never packed an elk out 20 miles on foot.

That being said, what if I invited this guy to a live stream format Q and A style debate with select members of Rokslide to determine if his claims are true?

Azone

WKR

6.5 Creedbadassmore, damn that sounds sick! I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume it was a Tikka? What flavor Mtn Opps were you drinking?
All bullshit aside, obviously that Facebook post is a steaming pile of poo.

Swede

WKR
Notice to all 20 milers:
I think I am just going to my tree stand, 1/2 mile from where I park the truck and wait while you go out and enjoy a hunt. I don't care if I don't get an elk, I will enjoy my hunt, and I am not packing an elk 20 miles. Please don't ask me to help you with yours either. You kill it back there, you are on your own. The truth is that I am more likely to get one than those that believe the elk are 20 miles back in the forest. I hate those long pack outs.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider

Pretty sure this is same guy...

NOW I understand the 20 mile packout: 1 mile from truck, 19 miles dodging game wardens!

I have packed half an elk twice before for a couple of miles of mostly downhill trail. It was stupid heavy, but doable. Otherwise, I’ve always done it in 2-3 trips over off piste terrain. The thing about claiming 20 miles is, in elk country, you are talking about thru hiking mileage. That’s the mileage someone hiking the CDT or the CO Trail covers in a day while in mountainous terrain and that’s on trail. If you’re claiming to do “thru hiker” mileage with 100+ lbs on your back every day for 4 days in a row, I’m calling bullshit. I have no doubt that some people are capable of doing this feat, but no smart hunter would choose to do it.

Thing is, this guy is obviously full of shit. I would bet my entire savings account in a time of great civil unrest that he has never packed an elk out 20 miles on foot.

That being said, what if I invited this guy to a live stream format Q and A style debate with select members of Rokslide to determine if his claims are true?

I agree he is probably full of it. But there are people that do stuff physically that I will never be able to do. Also mentally as well haha. Just because it’s impossible for 99.99% or because it’s not smart doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

If you can you should get him to do a live Q&A.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
only would happen if the pack out was uphill both ways......many dreamers and story tellers in the world...good luck to them😂

RyanCmns

WKR
I was in 9.5 miles as the crow flies 12 via trail/ logging roads last year and figured I could pack one out in 3 days with a buddy. Longest I've had was 9.5 miles with 3 of us that was pretty painful! I couldn't imagine 20 it better be cold or have a good creek close by!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
Well...I guide in the Bob. Unfortunately ran into a couple kids that did this very thing. Goof balls even wounded a bull. Neither one weighed 180 pounds. This nonsense is a result of them fancy tv BS wanna be pricks talking their nonsense.
Gonna get someone seriously jacked up. I dont even like riding a horse 20 miles, much less carrying over 100 pounds that far. Pretty wild times