Claims of a 20 mile packout

ljalberta

WKR
I know people who have packed a full sheep plus their gear further in single loads. I'm sure some guys out there have been crazy enough to bomb an elk 20 miles out. Still, GPS and a scale at the truck tends to keep everyone honest.

The end of this video at about 4:45 shows the other evidence of similar pack-outs. (Not my video, nor do I know these fellows).

Last edited:
I know people who have packed a full sheep plus their gear further in single loads. I'm sure some guys out there have been crazy enough to bomb an elk 20 miles out. Still, GPS and a scale at the truck tends to keep everyone honest.

Stone sheep (generally the largest sheep) - 250+ lbs
Bull elk - 700+ lbs

ljalberta

WKR
Stone sheep (generally the largest sheep) - 250+ lbs
Bull elk - 700+ lbs

Obviously. Still wouldn't surprise me if a few guys were crazy enough to get it done. I'd have my doubts, as anyone would, if someone told me they solo'd an elk 20 miles though.

As an aside, stone sheep are not generally the largest sheep. That would be bighorns.

Obviously. Still wouldn't surprise me if a few guys were crazy enough to get it done. I'd have my doubts, as anyone would, if someone told me they solo'd an elk 20 miles though.

As an aside, stone sheep are not generally the largest sheep. That would be bighorns.

I guess that depends where you look. I saw a source list stones up to 300 lbs. Some sources also list bighorns at a max of 300lbs.

stonewall

WKR
I looked at a spot in Montana a friend told me about Idk how many miles. But I wouldn’t go on foot. Would be a horse spot for sure (he went on horse)

I have found I prefer a base camp. Drive and day hunt different spots from there. Have done one back pack trip. Maybe again one day. But the comforts of a base camp are nice. Shortest pack out: slide down hill into back of truck. Farthest maybe 2 miles. Works for me

Scoot

WKR
It always amazes me the number of guys on the internet who are infinitely tougher than anyone I've ever met in real life. An alternative could be that the internet is full of blowhard idiots who exaggerate things hugely and are trying to make themselves sound bigger, badder, and tougher than they actually are. I wonder which is true???

KHNC

WKR

Pretty sure this is same guy...
i was SOOOO hoping this would be cody carr!

KHNC

WKR
We did 16.67 total miles in New Mexico in 2016. But it was 3 trips on the pack out. Took us from morning til well after dark.