Clammy while sleeping

msummer88

FNG
This was the first year I have had this issue so I'm not sure what has changed. Maybe it was just the environment I was in.

First I'll explain my set up. I have the Big Agnes Mystic UL 15. It is made with the sleeve for your pad so it eliminates getting all tangled up in your bag if you toss and turn a lot like I do. I'm running the Q-Core SLX and I have a Seek Outside Redcliff for my shelter. This happened here in Utah this past weekend on a archery hunt so it was extremely warm but still got pretty cool at night. I noticed that every night I would get clammy in my bag causing me to get slightly chilled. I figured being in a 15 degree bag I shouldn't even be remotely cold considering the temps outside at night. I would imagine it would have only gotten down to the 40's or so at the 10,000 feet in elevation I was at. I was never cold enough were it was a huge concern but enough to bother me, the clammy feel was strange. I know occasionally I would catch myself tucking my head in my bag a bit breathing into which i know can create a bit of condensation in your bag, but I didn't do that every night and it seemed to happen every night. Not sure what causes this. I understand that my bag probably isn't he best setup but sounded good at the time. I just don't want to have the same problem on my next bag if that is what is causing this.

Any thoughts?

Rob5589

WKR
Sounds like you were getting too warm and sweating some. Then you'd get cold due to your damp skin.

OP
M

msummer88

FNG
Sounds like you were getting too warm and sweating some. Then you'd get cold due to your damp skin.

Yeah I figured someone would say that. But honestly I never got overly warm, which is why I was confused by what was happening. You could be right though, maybe it's one of those things you don't really notice as things slowly warm up then the next thing you know you're sweating. But I never felt like that was happening.

Experienced the same thing this past year.
Exactly what the other guy said.

Swapped to a lighter weight base layer and it fixed the issue for me. Also found air flow through a shelter definitely helps.

Anything different about the base layers you wore? Or anything at all with your system?

If not then your system just wasn’t properly tuned to the conditions you encountered.

slvrslngr

WKR
Salt on your skin from hiking keeping the moisture on your skin, maybe. Could try wiping down with baby wipes before crawling in the bag to get the salt off.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I was having that problem whenever I was sleeping commando. My skin against that material just made me sweat, unless it was super cold. Sleeping in top and bottom base layers really helped mitigate that issue.

Thats why its a good idea to use a sleeping g bag liner. I always have this issue with my down bag. Drove me nuts. Tried a liner, loved it. Since then I've misplaced it lol and back to square one.

I have an older inexpensive Slumberjack down bag. It is rated for 0*. Used it from the 20s-90s and have not gone to bed "hot". Slept in shorts/t-shirt, merino top/bottoms and synthetic top/bottoms. No matter what the bag will get soaked even though I am not being any warmer than usual. Sucks waking up cause you are cold as hell due to the bag being wet from natural perspiration (we all do it 24x7).

There were two fixes. First, if I keep the bag amply open to allow it breathe I stay dry; can be a bit cool when cold outside. Second, buy a better quality bag and get rid of the problem bag.

After having enough with that bag, I picked up a WM Antelope and it did very well last fall and winter. Zero issues. I just picked up a WM MegaLite for when the temps are warmer.

This was the first year I have had this issue so I'm not sure what has changed. Maybe it was just the environment I was in.

First I'll explain my set up. I have the Big Agnes Mystic UL 15. It is made with the sleeve for your pad so it eliminates getting all tangled up in your bag if you toss and turn a lot like I do. I'm running the Q-Core SLX and I have a Seek Outside Redcliff for my shelter. This happened here in Utah this past weekend on a archery hunt so it was extremely warm but still got pretty cool at night. I noticed that every night I would get clammy in my bag causing me to get slightly chilled. I figured being in a 15 degree bag I shouldn't even be remotely cold considering the temps outside at night. I would imagine it would have only gotten down to the 40's or so at the 10,000 feet in elevation I was at. I was never cold enough were it was a huge concern but enough to bother me, the clammy feel was strange. I know occasionally I would catch myself tucking my head in my bag a bit breathing into which i know can create a bit of condensation in your bag, but I didn't do that every night and it seemed to happen every night. Not sure what causes this. I understand that my bag probably isn't he best setup but sounded good at the time. I just don't want to have the same problem on my next bag if that is what is causing this.

Any thoughts?

Moisture management.

Need to keep it wicked away from skin. Did you always go to bed with dry “bedtime” socks. Any extra layers that might make you sweat?

I made this mistake onetime last year on a 2nd season elk hunt. Was suppose to dip into teens(I ran the Mystic UL 15) and decided to add a hoody to my normal merino base layer. Woke up 4 hrs later, sweating, and then 1hr later chilled.

#LessonLearnes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran a liner too with the Mystic UL15. And seemed to help...only times I remember an issue is when I’d kick it off in the middle of the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk