Clarification on Colorado Turned In Limited Licenses

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I think I need a little clarification that will ultimately decide how I do Colorado's application this year. Here's the scenario:

I have 4 points in Colorado. I have already applied for New Mexico. I am considering using my points for a limited license in Colorado (I want to ensure a "quality" i.e. non-OTC hunt this year). If I draw New Mexico I will turn in my limited license from Colorado (I don't have the time off built up to do both hunts). Assuming for a minute I draw New Mexico I'll know well before I know about Colorado so in theory the moment I find out about Colorado I'll turn it in immediately. My questions is this:

When I turn in Colorado I would have the choice of paying ~$686 (the price of the tag) to get my 4 preference points back? Or get my ~$686 back and not have any preference points?
If I chose to get my points back and lose the price of the tag I don't get to gain an additional point either? I would still only have 4?

I know the book says something about 30 days etc. but I guess it doesn't make a difference if it happens the day after the draw?

cnelk

WKR
When I turn in Colorado I would have the choice of paying ~$686 (the price of the tag) to get my 4 preference points back?

Yes

Or get my ~$686 back and not have any preference points?
Yes

If I chose to get my points back and lose the price of the tag I don't get to gain an additional point either? I would still only have 4?
Correct

When I turn in Colorado I would have the choice of paying ~$686 (the price of the tag) to get my 4 preference points back? Or get my ~$686 back and not have any preference points?
Yes to all questions.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
so really i need to plan to use my Colorado points when i have also completed a near impossible New Mexico draw application? a situation where the tag in New Mexico is so good (and so hard to draw) it's worth not gaining a point or getting a refund in Colorado?

i doubt my application for New Mexico (13.9% of drawing a tag) this year would meet those standards unless it's my first choice that gets pulled.

Felix40

WKR
The 30 day thing works exactly the same as you are describing. I don’t know why they call it something different. I had to turn in a deer tag 2 years ago because I drew a sheep tag. I called them the day after results came out and still had to give up all my points.

I’m glad you asked this because I was reading that info myself and wasn’t sure I was reading it correctly. I guess the lesson is don’t apply for a tag unless you’re absolutely going or if you have $700 to light on fire lol.

Is this how it’s always been? It seems like my memory is people have been very casual about turning their license in to keep their points. I don’t remember anyone mentioning eating the tag cost.

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
On a mostly related topic, if you draw a second choice tag and return it, do you get a preference point for that year?

E.g. I go into the draw with 4 points, draw a second choice tag, and return it. Do I then get my 5th point for this year or do you forfeit that with the tag return and stay at 4?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I know the book says something about 30 days etc. but I guess it doesn't make a difference if it happens the day after the draw?
Refund requests must be submitted at least 30 days before the start of season. You still have to pay for the tag, even if you're going to immediately ask for a refund (or point restoration).
Screenshot_20210322-123544.png

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
i don't mind eating the tag fee to keep my points (in theory). its the fact that i also lose a year in the point creep of the draw by not gaining a point by turning it in. so while everyone else gets closer to their desired point destination, next year i'm in the same boat as i was this year.

this may change things for me. I may just keep the points and not apply for a unit this year. Next year i'll do an all Gila, valle vidal application for New Mexico and plan on using my Colorado points. the down side being next year i'll be at 5 points which is sort of an in-between-zone for points.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
See CNELK comment. Why lose 4 points when it will cost over $ 400 to get those 4 points back over the next 4 years. Put a little salt n pepper on the tag and eat it, if you do draw NM. Won't taste all that bad.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
See CNELK comment. Why lose 4 points when it will cost over $ 400 to get those 4 points back over the next 4 years. Put a little salt n pepper on the tag and eat it, if you do draw NM. Won't taste all that bad.

but why lose out on getting an additional point this year? I can just take another point to put me at 5 points next year and make a near impossible New Mexico application for 2022 and use my 5 points in Colorado next year. if i draw the impossible New Mexico tags then i'll pay the fee to keep my 5 points.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
My Bad! I thought you already applied for Colorado. Either way with your PP's, 4 or 5, if you wait. Your probably still be drawing the same tag. I'd say go hunt now.

cgasner1

WKR
I’d turn the tag in and keep the points if that 600 dollars is the cost of doing business playing this game with multiple states and points if it’s a issue I’d recommend a bee game because that money will be a drop in the bucket if you continue down this road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
Two years ago I drew a New Mexico tag after I had applied for a Colorado tag I was 100% to draw. I emailed someone after a call to Fish and Game and requested to be taken out of the draw. I had 0 points though so I didn't ask if points would be effected. I just didn't want to have the expense and effort of returning a tag. I was dropped from the draw for that year. I would be curious if you would keep your points as I'm hoping on New Mexico this year but betting on Colorado and burning 3 points.

On a mostly related topic, if you draw a second choice tag and return it, do you get a preference point for that year?

E.g. I go into the draw with 4 points, draw a second choice tag, and return it. Do I then get my 5th point for this year or do you forfeit that with the tag return and stay at 4?

You get a preference any time your first choice doesn’t get selected. Whether or not you get a second choice is irrelevant. The question might be can you return that tag for a refund though?

That said, how many units actually have actually awarded a second choice tag? I’m guessing just a handful that have 0 points needed.

Bl704

WKR
Why not just apply for the pt in CO... If you draw NM hunt it. If not OTC CO?

Ok, maybe you end up waiting 1 more year for CO for a limited unit...

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
You get a preference any time your first choice doesn’t get selected. Whether or not you get a second choice is irrelevant. The question might be can you return that tag for a refund though?

That said, how many units actually have actually awarded a second choice tag? I’m guessing just a handful that have 0 points needed.
Appreciate the insight. My understanding is that they do allow you to return the tag for a refund.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year I turned in my archery elk tag and my buddy turned in his ML elk tag after I drew a moose tag in a totally different unit. We got our points back and I reimbursed my buddy for his lost money on the deal. He still has enough points to get his ML tag this year, but I'm about 99% confident that I wouldn't draw again this year without that point from last year. So I just put in for another point this year and will concentrate on his elk hunt and my daughter's ML cow hunt in the same unit. Then I'll still have at least 11 days to bow hunt somewhere this year, even if it takes them the whole ML season to fill their tags. I like the new season structure going through the 30th September every year now. I've turned in four tags in CO over the last 7 years, and one in NM.......two deer tags, and three elk tags. Sometimes it just works out best that way. At least I got my $800 back from NM.