Classified Categories?

vanish

WKR
Any thoughts on splitting the classified forum into categories? Maybe there is a trick I don't know about, but that forum turns over on the order of 10 pages a day and its very time consuming if you're just watching for one kind of item. Something like the breakdown of the gear forum would make a lot of sense to me:

Optics
Backpacks
Sleep Systems
Shelters
Clothing
Archery

Thoughts?

(or if I could just show 500 threads at once that would work, too)

WKR
Hard on app, but Google "thethingIwant+rokslide" and it'll do the heavy lifting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WyoElk

WKR
I believe it was entertained a while back, maybe even demo'ed and it was resolved to leave it as is.

tttoadman

WKR
You don't know what you really "need" until someone posts it for sale. If that system was in place, I think there would be a notable drop in sales volume on the forum.

I like to see all of it, because it allows a guy to see some of the pros and cons of items others are buying, selling and trading. Rokslide has cost me a lot of money, but the classifieds also help you spend it wisely.

LostArra

WKR
Rockslide "classifieds" are like many sites. Not really a classified format. More like a community garage sale. No complaints here. It can just require a lot of "bumping" if you are a seller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Categories were tried awhile back, nobody (myself included) seemed to like it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
Thanks folks! Now I know the history. I can see the downside of categories for some people. I'm not a gear junky -only look for one item at a time- but for those who are, I can see why the current format works best.

If people actually followed the rule of "Delete you post once sold" then the search would work a lot better - I would just assume all results were active.

Also kind of tough when you're just watching for "binoculars" but people only put "Vortex 10x42" in the title or something like that.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I seem to sell a lot more stuff on this site over AT, which does break apart their classified section into categories. So I would say as a seller this classifieds section works just fine. If am looking for something particular I just use the search function.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Ryan said it's easier from an administrative aspect. The classified section has been a pain for them in the past. Other than people bumping thier wtb shopping listd multiple times daily I like the current classified section

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Murdy

WKR
I think if you are browsing, having everything on one page is better; if you are looking for a specific item, categories probably work better. BUT, if you are looking for one item, you can work around having everything on one thread by using searches, there really is no work around for browsing.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
How do you think we get our page views:).

I had it all categorized and no one seemed to like it.

I hate the classifieds, I get several emails/PMs a day about them.

But Rokslide is about gear and who would I be if I stopped the sale of gear...... HAHA

OK.... I will stop now.

Squirrels

WKR
I think if you are browsing, having everything on one page is better; if you are looking for a specific item, categories probably work better. BUT, if you are looking for one item, you can work around having everything on one thread by using searches, there really is no work around for browsing.

Agreed, classified here have not grown to the extent of AT's. If they ever do categories may be a necessary evil.

Jimbob

WKR
I would love the categories. AT is great for that. If i want a bow I search the bow section, if I want a sight I search the sight section. It's just so much easier. However, if the majority wants to throw it in one big pile and spend hours rummaging through all of it then that's the way it goes.

elkyinzer

WKR
Yes. I think there are 4 logical categories:

-WTB
-WTS Clothes/Boots
-WTS Other Gear
-Sponsor Ads

Clean it up a bit, but KISS. Maybe that's self serving because all I would look at is #3 and I'm just filtering out the other riff raff.

Last edited:

Squirrels

WKR
Yes. I think there are 4 logical categories:

-WTB
-WTS Clothes/Boots
-WTS Other Gear
-Sponsor Ads

Clean it up a bit, but KISS. Maybe that's self serving because all I would look at is #3 and I'm just filtering out the other riff raff.

I think your list would be spot on. I doubt they will force sponsors to post in their own forum, because as Aaron always says, "somebody gets payed". I get it, they make the site possible. However, there are particular sponsors that will post the brands they sell every single day. Not as one post either, it's annoying as piss to be honest. Just cruise over to AT and you will see what I'm talking about. One in particular became a sponsor here not long ago. Yes, I do realize sponsors make these sites possible and I appreciate their sponsorship. However, the sponsors that inundate the classifieds with post after post in a members classified section to boost their retail sales will not receive my business out of principal. They have a right to put there if allowed and I have the choice to not buy from them.

OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
I think the problem with splitting the WTB and the WTS is that someone who goes to the current classifieds to post an item for sale would hopefully see a WTB and respond. If you move the WTB into its own category, a seller has to explicitly go there to check.

Then again, if your WTB is buried under two pages, the seller probably doesn't see it anyway. :D

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord