Classified deal goes wrong. What do you do if you were me?

Sled

WKR
I don't really understand this perspective. I always get a little spooked when sellers ask me if I want insurance. Insurance is not for the buyer, it's for the seller. The buyer is expecting the items to show up as agreed upon. If they don't show up, the seller refunds the buyer, and then makes a claim with the shipper (if they've insured the item). That's how it works in my book. What's the buyer supposed to do? Make a claim with the shipper on a shipment they didn't initiate or pay for?

Good point. It's a real PITA to try and recoup costs as the buyer. It takes the seller/shipper to initiate and finalize the claim.

KyleR1985

WKR
I don't really understand this perspective. I always get a little spooked when sellers ask me if I want insurance. Insurance is not for the buyer, it's for the seller. The buyer is expecting the items to show up as agreed upon. If they don't show up, the seller refunds the buyer, and then makes a claim with the shipper (if they've insured the item). That's how it works in my book. What's the buyer supposed to do? Make a claim with the shipper on a shipment they didn't initiate or pay for?
I buy insurance for sellers protections. You’re exactly right. And I don’t take a refund for any used gear for any reason, unless a new buyer can be found, and the buyer then deals directly with that new buyer, with my only involvement my original ad.

I assume that over the course of my hunting career I’ll buy thousands of dollars in gear. Buying used saves me something like half. If buying and selling and a couple deals go south and it costs me 500.00, I’m still thousands ahead. I assume it will happen. I have a narrow band of operating parameters that reduce the odds of these things happening.

I’m continually surprised when people are surprised by pitfalls of selling used huntjng gear to strangers over the internet.

colersu22

WKR
I did have one experience on Rokslide but I was the idiot, I sold a stove pipe and when I bought it thought it was stainless, when I sold it I marked it as stainless. When the guy got it he checked and it was not stainless so to make things good with him even though he didn’t ask I just refunded the whole amount and told him sorry and to keep it.

Either person can buy insurance. If something is damaged in shipping it’s only the shippers fault if they didn’t package it well. It’s the carriers responsibility. So, if something is missing we can point fingers all day. I say I packed it. You say it was missing. Well, someone is lying.

I’ve had two musical instruments damaged in shipment. I paid for insurance and made my claims. I won both cases and got full reimbursement. Didn’t get to keep the instruments, but was able to replace them.

Antares

WKR
Either person can buy insurance. If something is damaged in shipping it’s only the shippers fault if they didn’t package it well. It’s the carriers responsibility. So, if something is missing we can point fingers all day. I say I packed it. You say it was missing. Well, someone is lying.

I’ve had two musical instruments damaged in shipment. I paid for insurance and made my claims. I won both cases and got full reimbursement. Didn’t get to keep the instruments, but was able to replace them.

How do you buy insurance as the recipient?

golfbum

WKR
Bummer deal.

Will send you a PM when I am back in town (I have some older BStingers I can send you if needed)

Sorry

Last edited:
It sucks. You both are likely good guys. It is odd he wants to send back one Instead of keeping it and asking for a refund for what he says he didn't receive. when you said envelope I groaned a bit. I get a lot of packages in and seems anything that can work a breach in those will. I have had many that have the product sticking out a hole. You look at the packaging and think it looks secure but somehow anything hard works a hole in it. If it was me I would refund the money and figure out how to avoid the same situation in the future to the extent you can. Doing business over the internet and shipping is certainly not without risk to the buyer or seller.

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
It sucks. You both are likely good guys. It is odd he wants to send back one Instead of keeping it and asking for a refund for what he says he didn't receive. when you said envelope I groaned a bit. I get a lot of packages in and seems anything that can work a breach in those will. I have had many that have the product sticking out a hole. You look at the packaging and think it looks secure but somehow anything hard works a hole in it. If it was me I would refund the money and figure out how to avoid the same situation in the future to the extent you can. Doing business over the internet and shipping is certainly not without risk to the buyer or seller.

Hind sight is always 20/20 right?

Someone tried to be accusational that I was being “cheap” by using an envelope

Reality is, I was in a hurry and had a brain dud. Trying to be courteous and ship this stuff out fast for the guy, it’s 4oclock on a Friday as the post office is closing, so I just grabbed what they had that the stuff would fit in, packed it up and sent it on.

I am refunding his money and moving on. Like others have said, im responsible at the end of the day

Hind sight is always 20/20 right?

Someone tried to be accusational that I was being “cheap” by using an envelope

Reality is, I was in a hurry and had a brain dud. Trying to be courteous and ship this stuff out fast for the guy, it’s 4oclock on a Friday as the post office is closing, so I just grabbed what they had that the stuff would fit in, packed it up and sent it on.

I am refunding his money and moving on. Like others have said, im responsible at the end of the day
Its a common way these days to use those envelopes so I don't think you were being cheap. They seem durable when you buy them. They must catch heck on the truck. You are right about hind sight.

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to say but if you put bars in a bubble envelope and USPS lost them that ones on you.

Sounds like a crappy situation.

We've already established that and I've already owned that.

Thanks for your wisdom though

ktran

FNG
I'm sorry to hear that. I've shipped a release via USPS too and didn't insure the thing. Package was lost then found opened and empty by USPS. I had to refund the guy, USPS wouldn't issue any money back so I lost out on shipping cost and the release.. Even when things are insured, it's a pain to go through the claim process. It is an unfortunate situation and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Since he paid G&S, he can get a refund no matter what, you'll lose out on the money. In this situation, I would just issue the refund, take the single stab back and eat the loss. At least you'll have a better reputation as a seller.

MattB

WKR
Probably too late now, but did you get a shipping weight on the receipt that you can compare to what was received by the buyer?