Clay Hayes-Joel Turner target panic and shot triggers

kyleds8

FNG
Hey guys,

I recently move from a 30# to a 53# longbow and I'm struggling with the mental side of holding at anchor until properly aimed, and then releasing consciously. I watched Clay Hayes' video with Joel Turner on target panic (not sure if I've had it), and they talk about creating physical prompts for releasing the shot. Turner clicks an air bubble in his mouth, doesn't work for me. any suggestions on how to create a conscious release? feels like I draw back, and then the release is out of my hands.

Many thanks

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
The only semi-permanent solution I’ve found is to be totally in control of your bow. In other words, don’t be overbowed at all and be able to hold back at anchor without any stress whatsoever. I’ve tried all kinds of “tricks”, from counting in my head to drawing off to the side and bringing it in, and nothing lasted more than a few months. Eventually I just started doing holding drills until I was able to hold and breathe regularly at full draw with my 50# hunting limbs as well as my 34# target limbs. IMO, finding a physical prompt is just a temporary workaround. You need to comfortably hold at anchor well enough to step through a shot sequence.

ozyclint

WKR
The thing I found problematic with the Joel style psycho trigger is how long it takes to execute properly. It kind of falls apart when the animal is dictating when it must be shot. A deer passing through your narrow shooting window, a fox that you called in and stopped and is about to bust out of there, a pig that is about to cut your wind and needs to be shot now. When it has to happen NOW you don't have the time.

Tartan

WKR
The great thing about a psychotrigger is you can elect not to use it if the situation calls for it. But if you don't have the ability to separate the aim and your release, you can't do the opposite.

That's what this comes down to. The best (in terms of accuracy only) barebow/traditional archers have the ability to separate aiming from releasing the shot.

A limb clicker, grip clicker, grip sear, tab sear, feather to nose, or some other internal trigger is not magic, and it won't do anything for you by itself. They are tools that you use to separate aiming and releasing the arrow. You do this by focusing your conscious mind on the movement to activate the trigger and let your subconscious monitor your aim.

If you can't muster the determination to solely focus on that movement, it's not doing its job. That's why Joel says it won't work for you, you must work for it.

I wouldn't expect a trigger to magically enable you to have better control over your shot overnight. It is a learned skill.

I do believe some triggers are easier to learn for those just starting out. The limb clicker is probably the best, it will also highlight inconsistencies in your draw length. I also really like the grip clicker from RMS. Both it and the limb clicker activate through movements that include increasing back tension. The feather to nose is similar, but with how I anchor, I can't really get it to work unless I crank my head into an awkward position.

The other triggers that require a different movement, also require you to monitor your back tension separate from the trigger movement. I think these are the hardest to run, especially to somebody new. It detracts from focusing on the trigger movement, which again, is the whole point.

If I were helping somebody learn to run a trigger, I would almost certainly start with the limb clicker b/c I think it is the easiest to perform correctly and with intention. After mastering that, work on other triggers to find what works best for you.

I've tried joels 'clicking with your tongue trigger', and while it can be effective, it is definitely not the easiest trigger to learn. I found that I can run it fine with a stretch band, but put an actual bow in my hands and the increased tension through my body makes it much harder. I end up not focusing on the movement, but find my mind wandering and thinking when the hell is this going this going to pop.