Cleaning a Water Bladder

Loper

WKR
How are you guys cleaning and drying out your water bladders? I filled the bladder up with soapy hot water and drained it through the hose several times but am wondering if that is enough. Normally I would think that would be good but I pulled it out of storage the other day and there was some residual water still contained in it from probably 6 months ago and I’m somewhat concerned about mildew/mold.

I have a Platypus Hoser 3L which doesn’t have a zippered top so it is difficult to clean.

CamelBak sells some tablets that you drop into your bladder once you've filled it with water. I've used them a couple of times and they seem to work fine.

But my go to is about 1.5 teaspoon of bleach in my 3 liter bladder. Fill half way with water, then add bleach and fill until 4/5 full or so. Then slosh it around a bit and let it sit for about 30 min. Then I run it all out through the hose. Then I repeat the process with some hot soapy water to remove the bleach smell and taste, and finally a couple of rinses with just clean hot water. (This is typically my end of season protocol).

Then the tube gets hung up separately with mouthpiece removed so it doesn't trap moisture, and the bag is hung upside down for a couple of days with something holding it open.

During the year if needed it's just hot soapy water Followed by 2 liters of hot water with 1/2 cup of lemon juice to rinse.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
CamelBak sells some tablets that you drop into your bladder once you've filled it with water. I've used them a couple of times and they seem to work fine.

But my go to is about 1.5 teaspoon of bleach in my 3 liter bladder. Fill half way with water, then add bleach and fill until 4/5 full or so. Then slosh it around a bit and let it sit for about 30 min. Then I run it all out through the hose. Then I repeat the process with some hot soapy water to remove the bleach smell and taste, and finally a couple of rinses with just clean hot water. (This is typically my end of season protocol).

Then the tube gets hung up separately with mouthpiece removed so it doesn't trap moisture, and the bag is hung upside down for a couple of days with something holding it open.

During the year if needed it's just hot soapy water Followed by 2 liters of hot water with 1/2 cup of lemon juice to rinse.
This, but I use odorless bleach. I will also use baking soda and hot water, let sit 30 mins then rinse with fresh water. Air dry is important in preventing mold.

ODB

WKR
Once you do your soap thing and rinse fully, pour in some rubbing alcohol and swirl to absorb the drops of water. Pour it out and wedge open the bladder using whatever means works and hang upside down to dry. I use platypus bottles and they are stiff enough to stay open without anything inside. Forget how stiff the hoser model is.

ChrisAU

WKR
I don't like to put soap in mine. I mix lemon juice and baking soda with water, and then freeze them. Take em out, let em thaw, drain. Good as new. Found that method a few years ago recommended by CNOC.

Maki35

WKR
There's a cleaning kit that you can buy for a few $$. It comes with brushes, tablets to clean the bladder and tube. There's even a hanger to keep the bladder open to dry.
imo, whether i'm cleaning it with soapy water, alcohol or tablets.. I would still like to hit it with a brush to get rid of any possible film/ residue (it's just me.)

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Thanks a ton for all the feedback! Sounds like I can be a little more thorough with cleaning the bladder.

Also, for the record I couldn’t tell you the last time my Jeep was cleaned, probably a couple years ago. My wife just got in it this morning and exclaimed that she’s going to get it detailed when I’m on my hunting trip.

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll swish thoroughly with soapy water and rinse with hot water. Then I’ll add about a teaspoon of bleach, 1/4 cup water, get as much air out as I can, place in ziplock bag, and finally throw in deep freeze. I’ve had one 6 liter MSR dromedary bag since 2001 and still works great with no mildew or bad taste.

Learned this from another member somewhere along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Why out it in the freezer? Is it easier to get the remaining drops of water out when they are frozen, or is the freezer just recommended for long term storage?

CorbLand

WKR
I always just assumed the mold in the hose was a built in water filter. To think people pay extra for those things.

I buy Hydrapak so I can just put them in the dishwasher.

Holokai

FNG
Use a wire coat hanger and bend it to prop open the bladder so it dries thoroughly after cleaning with your choice of natural/commercially available concoction. Also stuff a couple paper towels inside to soak up moisture. Remove the paper towels before storing for long periods of time.

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll swish thoroughly with soapy water and rinse with hot water. Then I’ll add about a teaspoon of bleach, 1/4 cup water, get as much air out as I can, place in ziplock bag, and finally throw in deep freeze. I’ve had one 6 liter MSR dromedary bag since 2001 and still works great with no mildew or bad taste.

Learned this from another member somewhere along the way.

I do this at end of season for long term storage. During season I just hang and prop open with fan blowing across mouth.

djsamaha

FNG
1/4 cup of baking soda, fill with hot water and shake. Left solution in the bladder for a few days and no more plastic factory taste.

rodney482

WKR
Why out it in the freezer? Is it easier to get the remaining drops of water out when they are frozen, or is the freezer just recommended for long term storage?

Im guessing it would kill anything that would make you sick, and nothing is going to grow