Cleaning and Repair Kit

I CO 2nd Rifle Hunt in 2 months. I see a lot of people listing a "Cleaning Kit" in their packing lists. Curious what is deemed essential in a cleaning/repair kit. Son and I are both carrying .300 win mag rifles with us if that helps simplify things.

Deadfall

WKR
This a trick question? Haha...jk...

Cleaning rod. Brush. Patches. Good rag of some sort. Tools for tightening/loosening hardware. I.e. scope rings.

BBob

WKR
I've had an Otis cable kit in a truck box for 30 years ish, used it exactly one time years ago when a buddy tripped and jammed his muzzle into the mud while packed in a couple of miles. Had to walk out to and from the truck but it got it cleared and ready to hunt again. Torx and Allen wrenches are already in the truck tool box so that's covered. Lens brush, bottle of 100% ETOH and microscope cleaning paper in the truck for those lens oopsies.

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
I keep a rod, cleaning stuff and tools at camp. I'll clean the barrel once or twice a week when the weather is nasty. Haven't jammed my barrel in the mud but it happens. I always have a backup rifle in the pickup too.

rayporter

WKR
if you tape the muzzle you are less likely to need a cleaning kit. i tape up and carry a zip loc bag with a 4 in square of cloth soaked in oil and a few patches along with 2 feet of weed eater line. just about the lightest practical cleaning kit you can carry. if you ever pack a barrel with snow you will forever carry a way to push it out.

if you tape the muzzle you are less likely to need a cleaning kit. i tape up and carry a zip loc bag with a 4 in square of cloth soaked in oil and a few patches along with 2 feet of weed eater line. just about the lightest practical cleaning kit you can carry. if you ever pack a barrel with snow you will forever carry a way to push it out.
Rayporter,
I am curious about how you run a patch through your barrel with weedeater line.
Can you elaborate on your method?

rayporter

WKR
heat the end with a flame and make a blob of plastic at the end. you can push a patch or spear it on the line and pull it through. it helps to look for the thickest line you can find. if necessary, double the line. if you double it you can spear a patch and pull it.

don't use a super tight patch. you aint cleaning out copper or carbon just some dirt or snow or light powder remains. just enough to save a blued barrel or clean out a muzzle if you tripped.

for real large bores like 12 ga i have drilled a hole in an old pistol case to pull the patch after i installed it on the weed eater line.

OP
Celtic Armor
Not a "trick question" at all. Most everyone says "cleaning kit" but have never seen specifically what they mean. Rifle muzzles covered with a barrel condom made from the finger of a black nitrile glove, secured with tape. I have a Gerber Centerdrive multitool that has a built-in bit holder. Deciding on bits to take (scope ring and rifle screws I imagine). Most interested in the rifle rods you pack along. Looking at a three piece miliary style designed for .30 caliber. A bore brush, small container of gun oil. I can always leave it at the camp, but don't want to lose even one day over a barrel obstruction. My Son and I plan to check zero on BOTH rifles to see how they match up with each of us in case of a weapon issue,

rayporter

WKR
just me, but i would not be caught more than 50 feet from my having the ability to clear an obstruction.

make sure you can remove the action from the stock.
i have had frozen triggers and firing pins that required heat to thaw.

heat the end with a flame and make a blob of plastic at the end. you can push a patch or spear it on the line and pull it through. it helps to look for the thickest line you can find. if necessary, double the line. if you double it you can spear a patch and pull it.

don't use a super tight patch. you aint cleaning out copper or carbon just some dirt or snow or light powder remains. just enough to save a blued barrel or clean out a muzzle if you tripped.

for real large bores like 12 ga i have drilled a hole in an old pistol case to pull the patch after i installed it on the weed eater line.
That makes sense to me.
Nice tip!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman