Cleaning jag question

zacattack

WKR
So I’ve always used the cleaning pad attachment with the loop in it and decided to get some brass jags instead. Well, went to use one tonight for the first time and it was hell to get down the barrel, I got maybe and inch and that was it, before my rod started flexing like crazy from me trying to push. I have the right size jag and pads. What am I doing wrong? I thought about just cutting down the pads or using smaller pads but I feel like I’m missing something. Thoughts?

fishslap

WKR
I have to use the hoppes thin synthetic patches on most of my guns. After a few swabs, sometimes I can double up to get in the grooves better. I can only use the higher quality cotton patches on a few guns. Get a few patch types of different thickness.

jolemons

WKR
Do as others have said or use a Dewey Parker Hale style jag which clings to the patch when you roll it and works the best in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Thanks everyone! I’ll move the patch over to one side and try that tomorrow. I was just dead centering it.

OXN939

WKR
So I’ve always used the cleaning pad attachment with the loop in it and decided to get some brass jags instead. Well, went to use one tonight for the first time and it was hell to get down the barrel, I got maybe and inch and that was it, before my rod started flexing like crazy from me trying to push. I have the right size jag and pads. What am I doing wrong? I thought about just cutting down the pads or using smaller pads but I feel like I’m missing something. Thoughts?

Man be real careful with anything interfacing with your barrel, especially around the crown. I always just use a patch wrapped around a bore brush. Very few scenarios where you could do any harm to your rifle.

Screenshot_20210124-210856_Gallery.jpg

Finch

WKR
I was going to create a thread myself but found this one instead. I don't enjoy cleaning guns but it stresses me out knowing I have dirty ones in my safe that I'll probably not shoot for several years. I want to clean all of my guns next week while the weather is less than ideal for being outside all day.

Questions.

1. Do you all cut down your patches to fit whichever rifle you're cleaning? Or do you have precut patches for each caliber? It's kind of a pain to cut these patches - I don't always cut down to the right size.

2. I have a one piece Dewey rod that I bought a longtime ago for my 223. I should be able to use this for anything 223 to .30 caliber, right? No real need to have multiples?

3. Would you just have jags and bronze brushes for each caliber? Something like this?

4. I should be good on solvents. I have Hoppes gun bore cleaner, breakfree CLP, and birchwood casey gun scrubber aerosol.

Any other recommendations? Trying to keep this as simple as possible.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
I was going to create a thread myself but found this one instead. I don't enjoy cleaning guns but it stresses me out knowing I have dirty ones in my safe that I'll probably not shoot for several years. I want to clean all of my guns next week while the weather is less than ideal for being outside all day.

Questions.

1. Do you all cut down your patches to fit whichever rifle you're cleaning? Or do you have precut patches for each caliber? It's kind of a pain to cut these patches - I don't always cut down to the right size.

2. I have a one piece Dewey rod that I bought a longtime ago for my 223. I should be able to use this for anything 223 to .30 caliber, right? No real need to have multiples?

3. Would you just have jags and bronze brushes for each caliber? Something like this?

4. I should be good on solvents. I have Hoppes gun bore cleaner, breakfree CLP, and birchwood casey gun scrubber aerosol.

Any other recommendations? Trying to keep this as simple as possible.
Man I find cleaning rather relaxing. The time I was describing I just used a jag, solvent and patches, no brush. I found that the barrel was clean enough for me, so I’ll probably never use a brush again. I think I may have read about just using jags on here so decided to try it.
You definitely need caliber specific cleaning items. For the jag and patch to work you need a good bit of pressure, a jag too small for the caliber won’t work. You may also get a lot of flex and bend in the rod using one too small for the caliber, could cause damage to the rod or bore.

WCB

WKR
Get a better rod? I've always just punched the patch through the center and cleaned away.

I prefer caliber specific jags and brushes. I use coated jags on all my rifles and nylon brushes mostly.
Boretech eliminator and CU2 is what I use for cleaning products. Use a bore guide and coated rod also.
More damage is done by over cleaning/ improper cleaning than by leaving a barrel fouled.

rayporter

WKR
push the easy button on this. get a jag one size smaller and adjust fit with different size patches.

dont have the patch so tight you squeeze out all the solvent. i have filed down jags in a drill to get a good fit. there is no need to fight it and way too much danger of getting it stuck.

here is a super jag-sharp enough point to cut any patch