Cleaning Muzzleloader Before Hunting

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I just got home from the range and the gun is shooting well and hitting where I’m aiming. I had planned on not cleaning it until after elk season (September 12-20th) as to not change POI, but now am wondering if 3 weeks is too long to wait. I’m shooting 100 gr charges of BH209 and fired 13-14 shots today. Am I good to let the rifle be for a few weeks or should I clean it now and re-foul it once I get up to elk camp?

Wrench

WKR
I'd clean it. You're getting close to likely to have too much crud in ot for quick reloads vs the bit of variable on poi. I'd shoot it clean and see how far out it is....and start clean if it was an issue.

Id rather miss my spot by an inch or two than deal with rust or not being able to reload easily.

Clean it now and shoot a couple of primers in it (empty barrel) when you get to camp and before loading it for opening day.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I left mine dirty last year between practice and the hunt. I noticed that the velocity varied a lot clean to dirty. With BH209, I can basically shoot it indefinitely without cleaning. With 777, after 3 shots and it's near impossible to load.

15 shots of BH isnt enough in my book to go messing with cleaning and worry about point of impact shifts...I went on 3 muzzleloader hunts last year and didnt clean my gun until the end of the season.

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, I appreciate all the replies. I suppose I am worried that residue leftover from shooting might corrode the barrel, but wasn’t sure if that would happen within a few weeks or not. I’d rather not clean it because I don’t want to hunt out of a freshly oiled barrel, but suppose I could always shoot a couple rounds off the day before the hunt.

mvmnts

WKR
Still new to ML and just a casual observer of this thread. I'm shocked to see all the responses saying not to clean. I was under the impression that you always wanted to clean after every shooting session to keep the barrel in good shape.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
All,

I had this same question when I started using BH209 last year so I called them directly. I spoke to their engineer (?) who told me it’s fine to not clean for a week or two.

O.P.’s question is going to fall into the gray area. I wouldn’t chance ruining your gun over it. My solution would be to clean it and then make sure to take a couple fouling shots a day before season starts. Voila!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
Run a few DRY patches down the bore to mop out the heavy powder deposits. BH209 fouling does attract moisture and will micro pit your bore over time. Removing a lot of the fouling with dry patches will save you a lot of heartache.

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for all the replies. I ended up cleaning the rifle this morning and am planning on going out and firing a few rounds through it on Friday before I head to work and then ultimately up the mountain to hunt!

Thanks again for all the replies. I ended up cleaning the rifle this morning and am planning on going out and firing a few rounds through it on Friday before I head to work and then ultimately up the mountain to hunt!

Good luck on your hunt!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Still new to ML and just a casual observer of this thread. I'm shocked to see all the responses saying not to clean. I was under the impression that you always wanted to clean after every shooting session to keep the barrel in good shape.

Blackhorn 209 changes all that. I’ve gone 3 weeks with no problem. Other propellants I’d clean more often

OP, looks like I’m late to the party. I’d have said you’re good either way ( but as said above, run a dry patch) but clean is good! You’ll wanna shoot at elk camp any way.

Fnbetx

FNG
I left mine dirty last year between practice and the hunt. I noticed that the velocity varied a lot clean to dirty. With BH209, I can basically shoot it indefinitely without cleaning. With 777, after 3 shots and it's near impossible to load.
I am new to ML and have been using 777, but have to clean after a couple of shots as well and I am currently sighting in a traditions strikerfire. I chose the the pellets because they were convenient and I was concerned about the amount of loose powder to use. Do you run a dry patch between each shot with the black horn powder?

OXN939

WKR
I am new to ML and have been using 777, but have to clean after a couple of shots as well and I am currently sighting in a traditions strikerfire. I chose the the pellets because they were convenient and I was concerned about the amount of loose powder to use. Do you run a dry patch between each shot with the black horn powder?

Yes, a dry patch between each round is all that's required with BH209. With 777, you'll have to use a wet patch- sometimes called a "spit patch-" to dislodge the deposits that form in between shots. This is the "crud ring" you hear about, which forms on the inside of your barrel, usually a few inches in front of where your loaded projectile rests, after firing. None of my rifles can be loaded without significant effort after even one round without running the spit patch like that.

Regarding the OP's question, I would never leave a blackpowder rifle that's been fired for more than a few hours. Even rifles that do get cleaned will frequently have some degree of corrosion in the barrel, as a trip to just about any used gun shop that stocks blackpowder rifles will show. All blackpowder propellants, from true blackpowder to Pyrodex to 777 to BH209, are much more hygroscopic and corrosive than smokeless powder. I always clean ASAP.

Fnbetx

FNG
Yes, a dry patch between each round is all that's required with BH209. With 777, you'll have to use a wet patch- sometimes called a "spit patch-" to dislodge the deposits that form in between shots. This is the "crud ring" you hear about, which forms on the inside of your barrel, usually a few inches in front of where your loaded projectile rests, after firing. None of my rifles can be loaded without significant effort after even one round without running the spit patch like that.

Regarding the OP's question, I would never leave a blackpowder rifle that's been fired for more than a few hours. Even rifles that do get cleaned will frequently have some degree of corrosion in the barrel, as a trip to just about any used gun shop that stocks blackpowder rifles will show. All blackpowder propellants, from true blackpowder to Pyrodex to 777 to BH209, are much more hygroscopic and corrosive than smokeless powder. I always clean ASAP.
Thanks for the help

Erict

WKR
I use BH209 and sight in by brush then dry patching from muzzle end between shots. When satisfied, clean at range, then fire one or two more using same method. Not sure if removing any sabot plastic or burnt powder residue actually makes much of a difference but I keep it consistent. I often load it then and if no shots taken during the couple of week season I unscrew the breech plug and empty the powder and save the sabot/round.

I like to put electrical tape over the muzzle and the unprimed breechplug hole, though on their website and as many reviewers agree, "Blackhorn 209 is virtually non-hygroscopic."

Hope the hunt went well.