Cleaning Old Skulls

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have any tricks for cleaning old skulls?

It sort of feels more like a confession than a question but I have failed to follow through with my plans on several deer and elk skulls. So, years later, they are still hanging over the rafters in the shed, hastily skinned and loosely fleshed, dried out with bits of hide and tissue still attached. What can I do to soften the flesh and clean them up without further damaging the bone? Anyone brought a skull back to life? Thanks.

NYSKIER

WKR
Following, I had a buck a I shot two years ago that I made into a euro but I must have not gotten enough of the grease out so I need to boil it again maybe. Waiting to hear input from other but my suggestion would be the old boil with dawn dish soap scrape and repeat. Maybe a little powerwasher action

Reactions: wyo
OP
wyo

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
You could try maceration. Put them in water and let everything rot off.
That may be worth a try. Although with winter approaching here I may end up with a bunch of antler-sticked bone popsicles if I leave them too long! :ROFLMAO:

Antares

WKR
You could try maceration. Put them in water and let everything rot off.

That's your answer. Put an aquarium heater in there (set to 90F) to speed things up. Change the water every three days. After it's looking real clean (and doesn't smell), switch to a few 3-day cycles of soapy water (dish soap, still using the aquarium heater) to degrease, after that do a cycle of peroxide to whiten. Dry slowly to avoid splitting sutures.

Last edited:
OP
wyo

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
That's your answer. Put an aquarium heater in there (set to 90F) to speed things up. Change the water every three days. After it's looking real clean (and doesn't smell, switch to a few 3-day cycles of soapy water (dish soap, still using the aquarium heater) to degrease, after that do a cycle of peroxide to whiten. Dry slowly to avoid splitting sutures.
Thanks, I think I'll give it a try!

I'd assume that you still need to keep antlers above the waterline to keep them from lightening up in the process, is that correct? I'm trying to figure out in my head how I could use a stock tank or kiddie pool to do several at once.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to say the same about the aquarium heater. @NYSKIER You can also use the heater and Dawn soap to further degrease your skulls.

To whiten them, I make a paste with volume 40 peroxide and whitening powder, both ordered from Sally’s Beauty Salon. I haven’t combo’d peroxide in the water with a heater but that sounds interesting. I have found the paste works better when it’s hot and sunny outside.

Yes keep the antlers out of the water.

You can get a few skulls in these galvanized tubs. BF6B2504-8EFC-47F7-8925-24DEA4E04A75.jpeg

NYSKIER

WKR
I was going to say the same about the aquarium heater. @NYSKIER You can also use the heater and Dawn soap to further degrease your skulls.

To whiten them, I make a paste with volume 40 peroxide and whitening powder, both ordered from Sally’s Beauty Salon. I haven’t combo’d peroxide in the water with a heater but that sounds interesting. I have found the paste works better when it’s hot and sunny outside.

Yes keep the antlers out of the water.

You can get a few skulls in these galvanized tubs. View attachment 457836
I did the Sally peroixide and I've had it work well before but it didn't work on this one. I must have not wrapped it well enough or it wasn't hot enough where I had it

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I did the Sally peroixide and I've had it work well before but it didn't work on this one. I must have not wrapped it well enough or it wasn't hot enough where I had it
If your issue is the skull is yellowing with grease, it’s not necessarily due to poor whitening on the original process, but due to not getting all the grease out. Over time, the grease comes out of the interior bone towards the surface and results in the yellowing your seeing. Remove the grease and you eliminate that happening.

OP
wyo

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
Much appreciated.

What is a typical timeframe for maceration on a deer skull? I'm sure it depends on how much soft tissue is left but are we talking days or weeks in general?

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Much appreciated.

What is a typical timeframe for maceration on a deer skull? I'm sure it depends on how much soft tissue is left but are we talking days or weeks in general?
Truthfully, I’ve never done it but know others who have. I would expect a few weeks. I’ve heard you don’t want to completely change all of the water as you’ll be restarting the bacteria build up process.

Mine aren’t perfect but I get them pretty white before ever doing any chemical whitening. Looks like this one boiled too hot, shown by the nose splitting.

Attachments

• 0C1418C2-ED1F-4CE3-A9A1-7D9BBC68B6D5.jpeg
    0C1418C2-ED1F-4CE3-A9A1-7D9BBC68B6D5.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 22

Antares

WKR
Much appreciated.

More like weeks. It depends how clean it is to start with. Certainly get the eyes out, soft pallet, as much meat as possible, and the brain (which is all fat and makes the maceration much messier). You'll know when you're getting close when 1) the skull looks clean (look for little bits of tendon to start going away), 2) it doesn't stink, and 3) the water is still clear after 3 days. At that point I would go another cycle or two just for good measure and then switch to at least 3 cycles of soapy water for degreasing.

I recommend changing all the water, there's plenty of bacteria on the skull to "re-pitch" the next cycle.

Also, wear gloves! You are actively cultivating some nasty bacteria. If you dive in there barehanded and you have cuts or open wounds on your hands you could end up with a really serious infection.

Last edited:
OP
wyo

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
More like weeks. It depends how clean it is to start with. Certainly get the eyes out, soft pallet, as much meat as possible, and the brain (witch is all fat and makes the maceration much messier). You'll know when you're getting close when 1) the skull looks clean (look for little bits of tendon to start going away), 2) it doesn't stink, and 3) the water is still clear after 3 days. At that point I would go another cycle or two just for good measure and then switch to at least 3 cycles of soapy water for degreasing.

I recommend changing all the water, there's plenty of bacteria on the skull to "re-pitch" the next cycle.

Also, wear gloves! You are actively cultivating some nasty bacteria. If you dive in there barehanded and you have cuts or open wounds on your hands you could end up with a really serious infection.
Good stuff, great explanation. I think I'll give it a go.