cleaning optics

sk1

WKR
so now that ive upgraded to more expensive optics, naturally i want to be more careful on how i clean them...

what is the best way to clean them out in the field on a week long hunt?

and

does the cleaning method differ at all while at home before storing them?

i've always heard your breath and a cloth, is that really the best way?

thanks

I always start with a Make-Up blush brush(small super soft brush) to rid dust and dirt. Your wife's blush brush or go to Wal-Mart and buy from the make-up counter. They come in a small aluminum tube so they will not get dirty when not in use. I use the brush very frequently -wont touch the lenses without it to avoid grinding dirt into the lenses

I then use a small squirt of optics cleaner (Zeiss, or other brands); Wipe the lenses with your lens cloth. I do not like pre-moist clothes.

I typically then use another end of the soft cloth to polish up

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest making an effort to covering all of your lens with the supplied covers while not in use such as when hiking and traveling to minimize the need for cleaning. I never clean the spotting scope in the field because it is always put away in my bag when not in use. My binoculars on the other hand do need to be cleaned in the field occasionally because I might forget to slide the ocular cover on or it slips off and then I end up dropping sweat and or water from my drink tube.

If clean running water is available I will dip my binoculars in the water and use a soft lens cloth in a circular motion to remove dirt and sweat smudges. If water is scarce I will blow loose material off the lens with my breath and use the condensation from my breath and a cloth. I recently ordered a bino bro to use for my binoculars and I am hoping that will eliminate the need for cleaning in the field.

The only thing I do differently at home is to wash dust off with running tap water if the lenses are dusty and use disposable lens wipe and give the glass a treatment of anti fog.

BTW, I also use Butler Rifle Scope covers on all of my Binos objective lenses. Works like a champ. Flip them down, and start glassing.

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
The brush on the lens pen is good for clearing dust. I don't trust the other end because dust and other abrasive material can stick to it and could give the affect of polishing the glass with sand paper.

TJ

WKR
The brush on the lens pen is good for clearing dust. I don't trust the other end because dust and other abrasive material can stick to it and could give the affect of polishing the glass with sand paper.

Agreed. At least my rangefinder proves this!!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Try not to clean your optics very often. Try to keep them clean.

When you do clean, remove the big particulates with a really soft brush (I like the Vortex cleaning kit brush).

Rinse the lens with water.

Put a drop of optic cleaning fluid on a soft lens cloth, and clean in a circular pattern.

Try not to repeat.

In the field, saliva makes a good lens cleaning solution.

Lick it.