Cleaning Packs

OR Archer

WKR
Any tips on how to get a rotten blood smell out of a pack? So far I've gone through a couple boxes of baking soda and half a bottle of sports wash. It's knocked the smell down but still hasn't eliminated it. HELP!!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like Justin said, use the Woolite and scrub until its gone. That stuff does the trick!

JNDEER

WKR
From Eberlestock:
""We recommend taking it to a self serve car wash and using the hand held pressure washer (soap and rinse cycle) then hang dry. """

I also wash them via Badlands recommendations. Soak in bathtub, scrub, rinse and hang dry. I have always been able to get the blood and smell out of the packs useing scent free soap and bakeing soda.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
We do the bathtub washing trick here. It doesn't take too long and a little soap really helps out.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We do the bathtub washing trick here...

I.e. fill tub with warm water and laundry soap of your choice (we use our regular stuff, and have never noticed a smell). Unzip any sleeping bag compartment zippers, and undo the drawstring top. I typically remove the top lid and extra pouches unless they are actually gross. Put the pack in the tub, with waist belt side up (this keeps the padding in the belt from soaking up as much water) and make sure the water can get inside the pack bag. Let soak for awhile, maybe and hour, agitating the water and soap periodically. Rinse the pack well, and squeeze as much water out as you can. Then hang dry in the tub with a laundry rack.

You will get bonus points if you clean the tub out afterwards, as it's harder to get the dirt ring washed out once it dries :)

Kay9Cop

FNG
I use the bathtub with laundry soap, but add OxyClean because it's supposed to work well on biological stains (blood) and I've never had a problem.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
I've washed the thing three times and it's still smelling. I'm going to have to try a different detergent.

Try kookaburra (spelling) wash my cousin recommended it to me and it works great she uses it on her horse tack and stuff and it really gets the smell out well i just soaked it in the tub with water agetating it until blood and dirt stop draining from it then soak it in the kookaburra for 30 min or so and repeat the agetation. drain the tub then repeat with clean water until its not soapy. warning this crap is consentrated dont add to much or you have to rinse for ever. i dont really like the smell (not bad just a weird tea smell) but it will wear out preseason.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
I'd take smelling like daisies for a while if it'd get rid of the rotten blood smell haha.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw