Cleaning Rods

dotman

WKR
What are you guys using for a longer barreled rifle with a raised cheek piece? My dewy rod is being blocked by the cheek piece but would be plenty long if that wasn't an issue.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Not sure what you mean on pull vs push with the dewy rod.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Classic pull out method, it'll get it done but not the most effective. Works most the time but not the safest...

He means put the cleaning rod in through the muzzle, thread on your brush then pull back out... Works fine for brushes but won't work for a jag/patch and you can't use a bore guide. It also pushed debris into the throat and chamber which I don't like.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Classic pull out method, it'll get it done but not the most effective. Works most the time but not the safest...

He means put the cleaning rod in through the muzzle, thread on your brush then pull back out... Works fine for brushes but won't work for a jag/patch and you can't use a bore guide. It also pushed debris into the throat and chamber which I don't like.

Yeah that's what I was picturing, nope not for me.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never had any issues using patches and don't get debris in the chamber. Works perfectly for me. Good luck finding something that you like.

choovhntr

WKR
I personally hate the Otis. You could try a bore snake. Also look into the foaming bore cleaner. Bout a can but haven't tied it yet. Gonna give it a shot this week

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I use wipeout and it has become my go to, we'll see what I think of the Otis, ordered one up.

Dotman not sure if the Tipton carbon rods will be bendy enough to clear the stock and still operate with a bore guide but might be worth a try. I somehow broke on a few nights ago but called them yesterday morning and no questions asked they are sending a new one.

CDNPO

FNG
I ran into the same problem and I was never a fan of the bore snake dragging dirt through the barrel. Is your cheek piece removable/adjustable? Mine was, so I just marked the height with a piece of chalk pencil that I keep in my cleaning kit, remove the cheek, clean and reinstall. Not the most convenient option, but if you can lower the cheek piece, I found that a little chalk mark got me back to a great sight picture every time.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I ran into the same problem and I was never a fan of the bore snake dragging dirt through the barrel. Is your cheek piece removable/adjustable? Mine was, so I just marked the height with a piece of chalk pencil that I keep in my cleaning kit, remove the cheek, clean and reinstall. Not the most convenient option, but if you can lower the cheek piece, I found that a little chalk mark got me back to a great sight picture every time.

Nope it's fixed and just high enough I can't get the handle over it with out it really binding up. I agree the bore snake isn't my first choice but the Otis seems to be a variation that is closer to a traditional cleaning rod, I'll give it a try but might have to look into other options.

cooperjd

WKR
my carbon tipton bends enough and is long enough that i can use it around my cheek piece and do not have issues. i also use Lucas custom bore guides for each rifle and have no issues.

my carbon tipton bends enough and is long enough that i can use it around my cheek piece and do not have issues. i also use Lucas custom bore guides for each rifle and have no issues.

I am a precision rifle competitor and I can tell you that the Tipton rods and Lucas bore guides are simply the best.

My comment to the OP would be to alter or replace your stock. You are simply asking for damage to your barrel and action by cleaning from the muzzle end or using the Otis cleaning products. The crown of the barrel is one of the most important parts of the rifle in regards to accuracy. One should ALWAYS clean from the chamber end and push all of the cleaning materials towards the muzzle. And trying to bend the rod into the chamber is causing unnecessary wear on the throat.

cooperjd

WKR
Nevada, not to derail the thread, but what are your general cleaning guidelines? i'm always interested in learning better cleaning techniques, and it seems to vary from individual to individual. i've read of snipers not cleaning their bores for thousands of shots, to people cleaning after every shooting session...

how often do you clean?
what is your general method? (foaming bore cleaner, wet patches, nylon brushes, etc...?)
thank you

I am a former competitor, now my kids take priority. I agree, Tipton are the best. However, not an option here and replacing a stock is the blast resort...imo. I like the Otis system. I have one for field use... works good. Instead of pushing you are pulling....so no crown damage. You still go in from the breech end and pull out the muzzle. The cable is coated, so no internal wear. It has separate brushes and jags....not all in one...alla bore snake. I would try Otis before replacing a stock I like. Jmo.

Oh, that foaming cleaner does work, but you still have to get it out. I use it on my waterfowl guns. They always seem to have bad wad build-up and the foam works.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I am a precision rifle competitor and I can tell you that the Tipton rods and Lucas bore guides are simply the best.

My comment to the OP would be to alter or replace your stock. You are simply asking for damage to your barrel and action by cleaning from the muzzle end or using the Otis cleaning products. The crown of the barrel is one of the most important parts of the rifle in regards to accuracy. One should ALWAYS clean from the chamber end and push all of the cleaning materials towards the muzzle. And trying to bend the rod into the chamber is causing unnecessary wear on the throat.

Yeah I'll only clean from the chamber which is what the Otis does, I don't use brushes.